Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Shortest 5th wheel with Residential Fridge

Hi,
The title says it all. Who make the shortest 5th wheel with a Residential Fridge in it?

Thanks.
alexdrozd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

im.sure you could.order a 5ver you want with a residential. But i believe Nortwood has a 5ver with residential. I believe its a 29-5
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

Northwood doesn't offer a Residential fridge when i contacted them. I don't want to order anything custom, I'm trying to find a standard.
The Montana 3121RL at 35' is the shortest I was able to find. I was hoping there was one the same or shorter.
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Vanleigh Vilano 320GK and Beacon 34RLB both can be had with a residential fridge. Both units are just a little under 35'.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Alpine 3021RE is about 34’ with a residential fridge.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Get the fifth wheel you want. Immediately remove the stock fridge and sell it on Craigslist. It will pay for a residential.
I ordered my 2014 fifth wheel with a 4 door Norcold. I hated it and removed it within 6 months and replaced it with a residential. Super easy! There's already a 110 outlet in place. Cap the gas line. Plug in the new one and secure it to the floor. Then enjoy.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Grand Design Solitude 310gk is 34.8 feet, and has the option.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Get the fifth wheel you want. Immediately remove the stock fridge and sell it on Craigslist. It will pay for a residential.
I ordered my 2014 fifth wheel with a 4 door Norcold. I hated it and removed it within 6 months and replaced it with a residential. Super easy! There's already a 110 outlet in place. Cap the gas line. Plug in the new one and secure it to the floor. Then enjoy.

I was just going to ask about swapping! Thanks for beating me to it.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:

I did the same thing and put $100 in my pocket when it was all said and done.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #10

Forest Rivers Cedar Creek Silverback will have a few.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #11

Cardinal has one about 35 ft
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:

Dotto. Don't think I would purchase an RV based solely on a fridge. I'd buy for build, comfort, storage, floorplan, etc. The fridge is almost an afterthought.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. Some names I was unaware of. I was thinking about doing a swap but here are the things I was concerned about.

Size. Finding a fridge that would fit correctly, especially the width.

Water Line. Having to run a water line for the ice cube maker.

Inverter. Will it come with an inverter or will I have to install one?

Venting. Are there more venting holes on the exterior that I would have to seal up? I thought that propane models needed more venting.

I thought there were more differences because manufacturers usually call out completely different model numbers on their units. If it was super easy to swap, wouldn't they just offer it as an option, not a whole new model number? Example Montana 3120RL vs 3121RL.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #14

Get the dimensions of the current size refrig and search for something close. I found a refrig at Home Depot that was a close fit. I had to use a skill saw and trim a 1/2" off along the one side to fit. Then get some matching trim boards to trim out the refrig gaps.

I sold my Norcold 1200 on CL's for $500 and paid $400 for the refrig. I used the $$ saved to buy a 700W pure sine wave inverter to run the refrig on hot/long travel days. I installed the inverted in the battery box compartment along with a 120v outlet. I run a 12' extension cord to the battery box from the refrig. Now it's a matter of plugging the ext cord into which ever power source I need through the battery box.
You will need to block off the lower and roof refrig vents, cause the resident refrig will have a narrow operating temp range, like any indoor refrig would. The resident refrig is much lighter and larger inside than the Norcold was.
As FT, refrig freezer space is too valuable to have a ice cube maker (I would remove it), but running a water line should be easy if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrig.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	254590  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, fridge, test