Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
We have the same age trailers by the same manufacturer, but the comparisons end there. My trailer has been slept in 142 nights, an average of 13 nights per year and is stored under cover. Since you have full timed since 2012, your trailer has experienced a minimum of 2,555 nights and has weathered the elements.

I bought my trailer when it was six years old and it had never been slept in. That's my point; there are nice lightly used trailers out there, just have to look. I'm glad you upgraded your trailer and it is top condition, but you most likely did so because things were worn out. My trailer is "Like new" because it is like new. Thanks for making my point for me.
You’re not taking into consideration that in many cases those upgrades included better components.

For example when I upgraded bed in my 2016 GDRV 313RLTS, I went with an expensive Sleep Number bed, whereas yours may still have the stock mattress since yours is “new”.

I’ve upgraded the furniture from the crappy “Thomas Payne Collection” to new - and much better built - RecPro furniture.

I’ve added disc brakes to mine, while yours probably has the stock drum brakes.

I installed Goodyear Endurance tires to mine. Are you running the stock “China Bombs”?

I upgraded the crappy Furrion stereo to a Pioneer, added a Vizio sound bar to mine.

I installed a dishwasher in mine.

While I was at it, I also completely re-did the water manifold (GDRV used the horrible “Kantleak” water system, and they actually built the RV using incorrect plumbing parts - look up Grand Design water heater plumbing failures).

So my point is that just because yours in “like new” and mine is used as a full time RV doesn’t mean that the condition of it is worn out.

In the end it’s all about how well (or poorly) the RV was maintained.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #16

We full time. I take very good care of our Teton. Our previous DRV I did also but it looked very worn in a few years. To much imintation wood trim and such. Our Teton is real wood trim. It looks good today and it is 17 years old. Depends on the unit.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I would never consider buying a used trailer that has been lived in full time. There are too many lightly used rigs for sale. Carpets wear as do mattresses, appliances have life expectancies and wear out. Cabinets get dinged and slides are out 100% of the time. Roof membranes also have life expectancies as do bearings and axle components. I expect an eleven year old full time rig should almost be free.
lol! I almost just traded in ours for $12k. They didn't like the roof and carpet condition. I'll work on those next year over the summer while using it on the weekends...and then likely trade it in for $12k.

As mentioned - everything in my unit works. All the stupid little issues are fixed....the maintenance is all done.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
You’re not taking into consideration that in many cases those upgrades included better components.

For example when I upgraded bed in my 2016 GDRV 313RLTS, I went with an expensive Sleep Number bed, whereas yours may still have the stock mattress since yours is “new”.

I’ve upgraded the furniture from the crappy “Thomas Payne Collection” to new - and much better built - RecPro furniture.

I’ve added disc brakes to mine, while yours probably has the stock drum brakes.

I installed Goodyear Endurance tires to mine. Are you running the stock “China Bombs”?

I upgraded the crappy Furrion stereo to a Pioneer, added a Vizio sound bar to mine.

I installed a dishwasher in mine.

While I was at it, I also completely re-did the water manifold (GDRV used the horrible “Kantleak” water system, and they actually built the RV using incorrect plumbing parts - look up Grand Design water heater plumbing failures).

So my point is that just because yours in “like new” and mine is used as a full time RV doesn’t mean that the condition of it is worn out.

In the end it’s all about how well (or poorly) the RV was maintained.
Then the buyer should see a full extensive list of repairs and upgraded items that you would provide. That would effect the price and saleability of the rig.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #19

If the unit is in decent structural condition and it is a QUALITY well built brand. Check to see if the roof is decent, no roof leaks and check for mold and rot in the ceiling and walls, make sure it's not been wrecked, it may be a way to save some money.

I have an old Nuwa Snowbird that is almost 30 years old I bought for cheap six years ago. It was lived in full time on a ranch in Oklahoma for a while as I saw a satellite image of it on google earth. These are pretty well built. I did a lot of the remodel and repair work myself like intense cleaning from top to bottom, new carpet, mattress, plumbing, furniture, complete new brake assemblies and other small stuff - it is pretty nice now. The roof lasted 24 years I had a new one installed a few years back.

I've had three new and three used RVs since 1990. When I retire I'll probably get a nice 10 year old or so Nuwa, or King of the Road, or Excell. There are a lot of nice older well made campers out there in good condition.
dannonebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
Should a full-time rig sell for much less than NADA due to its constant use, wear and tear?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
Sounds like your asking people to confirm your foregone conclusion that a full time rig is worth less than one that is used recreationally.

Constant use, wear and tear may also mean meticulous maintenance and fixed manufactured defects or shortcomings. Or even better, upgraded components that may have not been offered in a new RV.

A person who only uses their RV recreationally may not realize issues that would be obvious to someone who full times.

You have to consider each RV on its own merit. Get a qualified inspection. The NADA adjusts value based on condition of the vehicle, regardless of how much or little it's used.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #21

When you buy a used car what do you look for? I look for lower than average miles. Do the same when look for rigs. Lower usage for years is a plus. Having full timed it is hard on the rig. Our highways could be better. Items do have a shelf life. The more you use them the closer they get to end of life. My opinion stay away from full time rigs. Seller will not come down enough to match other lightly used rigs.

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Then the buyer should see a full extensive list of repairs and upgraded items that you would provide. That would effect the price and saleability of the rig.
A well kept full time can be a great buy. I 3/4 time and fix everything I find wrong when I find it. I have receipts for all the upgrades just in case there was a problem & any maintenance I have had done. I fix the little stuff just like I do in my sticks & bricks. The 5W is under cover when not being used.

Having bought many cars I will pay more for a well documented used vehicle. Everything's in an expandable folder with the manuals, all goes with the 5W when I sell. I would welcome an inspection by an RV tech before someone buys. Do you buy a house with out having it inspected?? Or a vehicle if your not mechanically inclined?

Sold an older super duty a few years ago & I was asked why was it so much more that the others of the same year? He came over looked at the truck & receipts, drove the truck, had it inspected by a mechanic, and paid what I was asking. Well maintained anything is worth more.

The trashed stove tells me everything I would need to know.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #23

My rig was very well taken care of when we had it. Quality unit. Still the wear on a full time used rig compared to same model rig that was sometimed is very noticeable. Looked at lots of rigs prior to full time rig selection and had no problem telling how rig was used. You can not hide full time living in an rv. People that say it is better to get a high mileage car because it was cared for are fooling themselves into be leaving they should ask more for what they have. For my money when buying used go for lightest used rig you can find in the model you are looking at.

Enjoy the journey

Tags
purchase