Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Should I purchase a rig that's been full-timed in?

Hi everyone! In my search for a 5er, I finally came across someone who has been full-timing in their rig! A 2009 Montana 3400RL. I know that full-timing puts a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle, so I am somewhat apprehensive about purchasing this one.

It has nearly everything that I want...esp. a 4 door fridge, but the wood is not the favorite shade. I guess I could live with that...but the stove looks very beaten up from daily use. I suppose we could replace that...

Should a full-time rig sell for much less than NADA due to its constant use, wear and tear?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
MuMu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #2

I think it should be worth less and it would be to me but good luck convincing the seller or that. A lot of it would come down to condition. One of the larger problems that full-timing causes is moisture issues. Cooking, bathing, even just breathing. A lot of these rigs just aren't built for that constant use.

There are also levels of full-timing. Was it a single person who was gone most of the time and just slept in the trailer? Or, was it a family of 6 with 3 dogs?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would say it would be a bonus because it tells me if they full timed in it it is comfortable and everything is most likely working well. Things that don't work but look brand new are not helpful.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

I would pay more for a lightly used unit, than one that was full timed in. Probably all the cushions on the seats are half worn out as well. I prefer to find one that was kept indoors when not used. Maybe hard to find a lightly used model that was kept inside, but worth it when you find one. Many items have limited life spans, and the more they are used, the less time the have left. This includes pumps, air conditioners, furnaces, stoves, fridges, etc, etc. etc.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

Depends. Depends on many things starting with is it a quality unit to begin with. How old is it? How long has it been FT in? Has it been used & abused or carefully maintained?

I'd be more interested in a lightly used quality unit that has been FT in for a short period than a weekend warrior that gets used hard & put away in the back corner of the yard every Sunday.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I would say it would be a bonus because it tells me if they full timed in it it is comfortable and everything is most likely working well. Things that don't work but look brand new are not helpful.

X2
We full time in ours and have continually made improvements to make it more comfortable. You will likely find that most of the furniture may have been replaced with residential grade furniture.
Someone mentioned moisture issues, well most full timers run dehumidifiers to avoid those issues.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
Should a full-time rig sell for much less than NADA due to its constant use, wear and tear?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
As with any used vehicle purchase, it depends on the previous owner. Is that person like me? Single, no pets, and just uses it as a home base while out exploring the area or working, and has made quite a few "quality of living/comfort" upgrades. Or is this a family of 6 with two dogs, two cats, and a family of exotic hamsters who home schooled and never spent more than a week at a location before moving on? Big difference between those two groups of people and how they will use an RV. The RV might be worth less, but it might be worth more because of the full timing.

I'd venture to say that rarely used is harder on an RV than constant use. The RV I had up at my hunting camp always had something that needed to be fixed, even though I was rarely there. The one I full time in only needs to be fixed when I do something I know I shouldn't and break it.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

If the fifth wheel was lived in full time, you will have a opportunity to inspect it and see how it has held up. It should become quickly obvious if it was taken care of or not. As you noticed, some items can be easily replaced like the stove, which can become negotiating points for the final purchase price.
I agree that rarely used is not always good for older RV components, like furnace, refrig, and AC.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #9

I would never consider buying a used trailer that has been lived in full time. There are too many lightly used rigs for sale. Carpets wear as do mattresses, appliances have life expectancies and wear out. Cabinets get dinged and slides are out 100% of the time. Roof membranes also have life expectancies as do bearings and axle components. I expect an eleven year old full time rig should almost be free.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:29 AM   #10

Very few trailers are rated by the manufacturer as full time

Start there
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just as all seller are not the same, all FT'ers are not the same. You have some that are nearly OCD about their MH and it shows in how they take care of it. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a MH that is FT'ed in.
There are MH's with a 100k miles that are in way better shape than some that have less than 50k. Each one is different IMO.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #12

As you know, some people are easy on things and some people are hard on things. Sounds like these people were hard on their 5th wheel.

I would not buy a used 5th wheel that was full timed in since there are 1000's of lightly used 5th wheels.

Besides you do not like the color of the wood.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I would never consider buying a used trailer that has been lived in full time. There are too many lightly used rigs for sale. Carpets wear as do mattresses, appliances have life expectancies and wear out. Cabinets get dinged and slides are out 100% of the time. Roof membranes also have life expectancies as do bearings and axle components. I expect an eleven year old full time rig should almost be free.

Based on your post, then your camper (and mine) are 11 years old and should be given away free!! I'm not sure about your camper, but mine has been upgraded and is still in top condition.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Based on your post, then your camper (and mine) are 11 years old and should be given away free!! I'm not sure about your camper, but mine has been upgraded and is still in top condition.
We have the same age trailers by the same manufacturer, but the comparisons end there. My trailer has been slept in 142 nights, an average of 13 nights per year and is stored under cover. Since you have full timed since 2012, your trailer has experienced a minimum of 2,555 nights and has weathered the elements.

I bought my trailer when it was six years old and it had never been slept in. That's my point; there are nice lightly used trailers out there, just have to look. I'm glad you upgraded your trailer and it is top condition, but you most likely did so because things were worn out. My trailer is "Like new" because it is like new. Thanks for making my point for me.

Tags
purchase