Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #1

I own a 2002 Cardinal 5er. Still have the original tires on it. Probably have about 20k miles on them. They still look like new. I keep my 5er covered when not in use and make sure my tires are protected from the sun. I have heard or read that tires should be replaced periodically, no matter what they look like. Hate to spend the $'s if I don't need to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #2

I own a 2002 Cardinal 5er. Still have the original tires on it. Probably have about 20k miles on them. They still look like new. I keep my 5er covered when not in use and make sure my tires are protected from the sun. I have heard or read that tires should be replaced periodically, no matter what they look like. Hate to spend the $'s if I don't need to.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally all you can expect from RV tires is 5 to 7 years. One of the problems is ozone attack on the tires and covering the tires only protect them from UV exposure.

You are in the window to replace tires. My personal feeling is that the cost of a new set of tires is worth the safety and definitely worth the prevention of a blow out on the road. A blow out can cause considerable and expensive damage to an RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Unfortunately, when a tire on our RVs fails, it often does so with no warning whatsoever. I've had 4 tread separations over the last 15 years of RV ownership. 2 caused little or no damage to the RV; the other 2 resulted in over $2,000 damage each time. In every case, there was no sign of weather checking on the sidewalls, and I had checked tire pressure that morning before hitting the road. The tires were 5, 4, 3.5 and 3.8 years old at the time of failure.

If I were in your shoes, I'd say that your present tires are probably running on borrowed time, but at the end of the day, it's your money and your decision.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #5

We blew one tire in summer of 2006 in Indy. Another was replaced at same time (it showed separation damage when it took the load from the other blowing). Once we got home from that 3800 mile trip, the other two got replaced. This on a 2002 rig, never overloaded, parked in shaded RV port, and less than 15,000 miles on tires (load range E, 16" tires). My recommendation is get new tires before this RV season gets going. Your on borrowed time with those current tires. Give the old ones to a farmer or rancher to use on an old off-road wagon or trailer.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #6

Might not be a bad investment for the peace of mind.........
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #7

When we purchased a 6 year old 5er in 1999 the tires looked really good and had about 10K miles on them. We towed it 200 miles to home and parked it in our designated storage spot, which required a sharp 90 degree turn when backing in. The next day I was doing some checks of the trailer and found that half of the tread on one tire had been torn off due to the sharp turn. I replaced all 5 tires. I keep the spare at the same age as the others so I can rotate the tires.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

I would! I did learn the expensive way too. Once on our 5er(minimal damage), and once on our truck (over $2K damage). Some folks leave Vegas a winner though, but I never have.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #9

I replaced my tires last year on a 2000. Looked new, but I went the 7 years on them and decided for piece of mind to replace them.

My sister had "new" looking tires also. Always stored the vehicle in the garage and kept them super clean. Due to age, they had a blow out while traveling with their travel trailer. Vehicle went sideways as the trailer pushed them down the highway before the trailer finally flipped and disinegrated.

I change them every 5-7 now.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #10

The tires on a trailer can be older than the trailer. My TT is an '06 and the tires are '05.

'06 Dutchman Colorado 26FB with 2 Honda 2000i generators
muddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #11

One thing about thinking about replacing your tires when you are ready, is you can shop brands and price. Once you've lost on or two out on a vacation trip, puts you into a position of NEEDING tires NOW, and your not able to shop the same.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote