Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Side to side leveling

When setting up at an RV park, I always level the 5er front to back, but when it comes to side to side leveling, I hope for the best. My 5er is 36' with dual tandem axels. I can deal with the trailer not so level inside, but have notice that it affects the black tank. My question is, when you pull one side of the trailer up on a block to level, do you only need to lift one axel or both? I'm going to purchase a box of Lynx Levelers (plastic orange blocks). Has anyone been dissapointed with these. Is there something better I should get? Thanks!!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

I have no experience with this but I did see a trailer with an air bag under one side of the (tires) tandems used for leveling.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

You should pull both wheels/axles on your leveling blocks. You won't get much lift by having only one on the blocks due to the equalizer action of the suspension system. Plus, I never like to keep my suspension in a "bind" - and it looks ugly.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Leveling

I pull my 36' tri-axle into the space - check where I want it to be then check side-to-side leveling. Although I have the orange blocks I usually use 2X10's that I carry in the bed of the truck to do the leveling. I will normally place them under each tire unless the ground creates a dip or hump on any tire. I set the blocks I need along side the tires - pull up, place them in position and then back up. I also have 1/2" thick plastic pads that I can use to fine tune the adjustment. One level side-to-side I unhook and level front to back. It has always been quick and acturate.
durlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #5

I always carry four boards that are cut to 6 ft long. Two of the boards are 2"X8" and the other two are 5/4X6". I will place them under the tires to level the camper side to side. I have found that it normally takes one to two boards to level on most sites.
When I store the camper it is always stored on boards, I never let the tires sit on the gravel or dirt when storing.
Jim W.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

I don't use boards because it is excess weight. Go to Walmart and buy and bag or 2 of the leveling blocks. I use them on my MH with no problems. Why carry the weight and the blocks are easy to use and clean. Takes up far less space.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
When setting up at an RV park, I always level the 5er front to back, but when it comes to side to side leveling, I hope for the best. My 5er is 36' with dual tandem axels. I can deal with the trailer not so level inside, but have notice that it affects the black tank. My question is, when you pull one side of the trailer up on a block to level, do you only need to lift one axel or both? I'm going to purchase a box of Lynx Levelers (plastic orange blocks). Has anyone been dissapointed with these. Is there something better I should get? Thanks!!
I use wooden blocks pressure treated2x10x10. Stackable andvery durable. I prefer to level both axles. If the level is just slightly off, you can adjust by using the holes in your landing gear and a block under one side of your stabilizers. Good luck.
lsessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How much weight can those plastic leveling blocks take? I have a 40 foot Deisel. Can I toss out my heavy 2x10's in favor of a bag or two of those blocks???

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill
How much weight can those plastic leveling blocks take? I have a 40 foot Deisel. Can I toss out my heavy 2x10's in favor of a bag or two of those blocks???

Faith
We've been using the plastic Lynx blocks for 2 years with our 4-slide 40 footer. So far they've held up just fine (and we use them quite a bit since we camp alot in public and primitive sites). So my answer is yes, I'm thinking you can toss those big boards. We have 2 bags of them and the day they give out we'll buy more.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

I grab a box of the Lynx Levelers yesterday, I'm curious on how well the'll work. I did use a 2x10 cut into 8 pieces for the landing gear and stabilizing jack for the last 2yrs, all have crack and split into 2 peices and became fire wood over time. I also agree that there bulky and heavy. Thanks everyone for your input.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I've used Lynx levelers for many years. They are great. Lynx now has flat caps (sold separately) that fit on the top of the levelers so that the 4 "knobs: (for the lack of a better word) do not stress the tires. They provide a nice flat area for the tires.

I do carry pressure treated plywood in 3/4" and 1/2" thickness cut to 10"x 10" square. They provide a nice easy way when only a slight amount of leveling is needed. If any more than 2 pieces of plywood need to be stacked, I switch over to the Lynx Levelers. Besides, I cut these pieces of plywood prior to finding the Lynx Leveler Caps so I am going to use them until they become firewood.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #12

Used to carry 2x8s sections long enough for both wheels, hinged in the middle so they would fit into the storage area. Have since upgraded to an auto leveling system and that makes it much easier.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #13

I have been using the orange Lynx levlers under both axles for over 3 years and love them. I carry 2 bags of them. Walmart has the best price I have seen.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #14

I have a question regarding the leveling blocks from Wal-Mart. We just recently had our 5th wheel parked. It will be weeks before our diesel truck is ready from the shop to be available to move the 5th wheel again. If I wanted to re level and use the blocks instead of wood on my already parked 5th wheel, seeing I do not have the truck would, it be unwise to jack each wheel independently, remove the wood, and put the Wal-Mart blocks in place. Or should I just wait until I have the truck back to pull it off the wood it is on and remove the wood place the blocks and then re park it. The reason I ask is because my truck will be in the shop for a long time and I really do not like the wheels on 2X4's. Blocks were not available at the time of parking. Would like your thoughts on this.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling