Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #1

Sidewinder kingpin vs standard (OEM) kingpin

When I bought our 5ver, due the PU having a short bed, we had a Sidewinder kingpin installed to assure cab/trailer clearance. I now have a PU with a longer bed so cab/trailer clearance is not an issue. To those who may have used both the standard and a Sidewinder kingpin, what are pro/cons of removing the Sidewinder and putting on the original 5th wheels kingpin? Is there a difference in connecting the two, is there a difference while backing up, do they tow differently (chucking, ability to use a plastic plate between the kingpin and receiver, etc)? Certainly there would be a difference in the maintenance of the two kingpins. I've heard a "standard" kingpin is easier to connect to the PU, bbut since I've only used the Sidewinder I do not know how much easier t would be. Looking forward to your thoughts.
helopilot880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #2

I had a fifth wheel with a Reese revolution pin box. That is the factory installed version of the sidewinder. I liked it but it was a little harder to hitch up. You have to back straight into the hitch at the same angle that you unhitched so the wedge will enter the V notch. Also, for some reason, I was unable to use a lube plate because the jaws would not close. I had to use grease instead.
If you want to go back to a regular fixed pin box all you have to do is install the two 5/8" bolts in the back of the box to lock it from rotating. When you do this be sure to remove the wedge!
old mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #3

Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a way to lock the Sidewinder pin. Maybe before I switch kingpins I'll try that. You mentioned the need to back straight onto the Sidewinder to hitch, which I admit, has been PITA many times. Do you happen to know how much of an angle you can back into the standard kingpin?
Old 01-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by helopilot880 View Post
Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a way to lock the Sidewinder pin. Maybe before I switch kingpins I'll try that. You mentioned the need to back straight onto the Sidewinder to hitch, which I admit, has been PITA many times. Do you happen to know how much of an angle you can back into the standard kingpin?
Have had both and a revolution on the current 5th. We keep is locked with the bolts now that we dont use the turning feature anymore.
You can go as far sideways and lock the pin as you need. If on flat ground in a parking lot, 90 degrees
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #5

If you have a standard tailgate on your truck you also need to be careful that you don't punch a hole in the front compartment with the corner of your tailgate if you have to back into the pin at an angle.
old mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
If you have a standard tailgate on your truck you also need to be careful that you don't punch a hole in the front compartment with the corner of your tailgate if you have to back into the pin at an angle.

You mentioned backing into the pin at an angle. Using the Sidewinder I have to back in almost exactly straight. Roughly how big of an angel can one back into a standard kingpin? Sounds like a standard kingpin is much easier to back into and hook up. Is a standard kingpin easier to back up the 5th wheel?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 AM   #7

If you locked out your pin box, it'd be the same as a std pin box......and the angle of hitching up would not be an issue.....before I went to the slider, I had no problem as long as your hitch jaws can be set by the pin contact....a slider only gives one a 10 degree angle to work with.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind