Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Slam Latch Locks--Rekey or replace???

As we all know the locks on the outside compartments are generic and most of us can open each other's locks using our keys. If you have replaced or rekeyed the slam-latch locks can you advise on your experience?

On my TT, the CH751 replacement locks were readily available at the locksmith and amazon (relatively inexpensively).

On my new 5er, the slam latch locks are much more expensive and want to ensure I seek out wisdom of the group before moving forward.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

Hmmmm,,, good point... I know a lot of rv locks are the same.... I guess for now me, my dog, and my "buddy" will take care of things... But Good Post !!!!
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

I had to replace my entry door handle due to a bad dead bolt assembly, so decided to bite the bullet and replace all the other locks at the same time to get everything keyed alike. I looked at re-keying the slam locks, but it didn't seem easy to get the old lock cylinder out without some major surgery, so I just replaced the whole assembly. Ordered everything at once from one of the on-line RV lock places that offers unique keys. Replaced the main door, 2 slam latches, the key latch on the front compartment, and put a thumb latch on the outdoor shower cover (which had been a key, but inside another locked door... very redundant and annoying.) Stopped short replacing the slam locks on the propane doors with key locks... seemed like overkill to me. Probably a cheaper way to do it than I did it, but the order was easy, the installation was easy, and now we have a single key that accesses everything instead of three different keys and it doesn't automatically match what's hanging on the neighbor's key ring...
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
gaf

I found the best price for replacement slam latches @ RVLocksAndMore.
Supplied them the door key number and each lock came with two keys.
Also replaced the front compartment 751 latch. 3 keys down to one.
gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
I found the best price for replacement slam latches @ RVLocksAndMore.
Supplied them the door key number and each lock came with two keys.
Also replaced the front compartment 751 latch. 3 keys down to one.
I went to one of the places like RVLocksandmore and read their website. It will walk you though the measuring process of determine what you need. I have different thickness doors so there is work to do determining what you need. I replaced all of mine and gave away all my 751 keys. Then I discovered that I missing the dryer door. It was behind the door when I was measuring and I missed it. I had to go retrieve one of my 751 keys until I replaced that last lock to match the others.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
tcg

I can't help with your specific locks but I just replaced all the locks on my exterior compartments, fresh water door, and glove box.

Had them all keyed the same at a local locksmith. The compartment locks came keyed alike and the locksmith re-keyed the other two. Ten all together, cost a little more than a hundred bucks.

Best thing I ever did. I now have a single key for all locks. My key ring got a lot lighter.

I also swapped out the exterior shower door lock and an exterior outlet door lock with thumb locks eliminating the key for those.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

When you replace the locks, as in a rv lock place, do they come with a standard "everybody has that key" thing, or do you need to go to a lock smith and have them replaced there to get your own key? I hate having 4 different keys for the rv... And what good is a lock when a bad guy has the key ??? Thanks.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
When you replace the locks, as in a rv lock place, do they come with a standard "everybody has that key" thing, or do you need to go to a lock smith and have them replaced there to get your own key? I hate having 4 different keys for the rv... And what good is a lock when a bad guy has the key ??? Thanks.
When I got my new cam locks the locksmith had boxes of locks all keyed the same. He had several boxes with different keys.

I can't speak for RV but I've had a business for 28 years that deals with boats.

I have a series of about 40 keys that should open any boat cabin from the last 15 years or so. Most manufactures use the same locks and those locks have a limited number of different keys.

But...

Bad guys don't have complete sets of keys like me or a dealer. It is very possible that one boater could open another boater's cabin.

Bad guys don't really need a key to get into most RV locks that I've seen. Plus no one needs a key if the have a brick or a crowbar.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #9

Thanks for insights and experience. Was able to order new locks and like GAF, was able to go from 3 keys to 1 for a bit over $100.

You can get a totally unique key (no master) or sync all keys to your existing deadbolt.

So for that $$ i get a single key solution that is unique to my rig for all doors.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
My trailer came with GlobalLink brand locks on the entrance doors (2 different keys), and CH751 generic cam locks on all the compartments. GlobalLink has about 50 different keys (300-349 I think). I ordered a cylinder set for each entrance door (the set has a 'mastered' cylinder for the paddle lock and non-mastered for the deadbolt), those were about $7 per set.

I got cam cylinders to replace all the CH751 generic cams on the compartments. I made a couple compartments lockable that previously weren't by replacing the OEM thumb turns with lockable cylinders. The cam cylinders were $8-12 each depending on length. Most of them used the shortest length (7/8"), one required 1 1/8".

All door and compartment locks now use the same key.

Swapping everything out was very easy with really basic tools (screw driver and wrenches) and all cost less than $100.

I was able to obtain a "change key" so I could change the cylinders on the entrance door locks without replacing the entire assembly. If you can't get a change key, the complete door lock assemblies are about $25 each.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace