Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Slide Bypass

I have a quick question about 5th wheel slides. We have been looking at a Bighorn 3010DR. We have never had a 5th wheel before. I know more about motorhomes than these. The issue is that DW is worried that if we go out and the slides malfunction we won't be able to get to anything but the bathroom and the bed which we would have to crawl over. I know that on most motorhomes there is a way to by pass the system to crank them in and out should the electromechanicals die for some reason. Is that also common in 5th wheels?

Thanks much
vtbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

While I haven't kept up with new models, our '05 DRV has the ability to run the slides in/out with the use of a drill/bit/extension. But after 10 years, never had to worry about this aspect.
I think just about every mfg has some sort of setup for emergency situations.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Our Lifestyle has the ability to do a manual retract or extension. But it is a PITA and should be reserved for emergencies. You wouldn't want to do it for over night.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Our new Gateway has a way to use an electric drill to run the slide motor if it fails but the way the manufacturer mounted the motor, there is no way to access the bypass. Good idea just poorly installed.:(
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically 4 slide systems I know of

Cable cars.. On a cable car (Such as the Accu-Slide) you can run them in and out with an electric drill/screwdriver You will see 4 cables (two on the "Front" (Meaning toward tow vehicle) side and two on the rear of the slide

Hydraulic.. There is a way to either open a valve and PUSH or if all else fails disconnect hoses.

Or you may be able to operate the pump via a drill like the cable car.

Power Gear Rack and pinion (May be other models too) You should be able to access the motor via a portal under the slide and release the brake manually.. then a 3/4 inch wrench on the end of the shaft, or so they say.. Guess what, Mine did not come with that adapter. But I've moved 'em in/out without power anyway.

Swinteck.. I have no clue.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

We went looking at Montanas, last week & checked out the 3710 FL. The wardrobe slide blocks the door to the bedroom, when it is in. I asked the salesman, what happens if it fails to deploy? Can you manually deploy it, so you can access the bedroom? He wasn't sure & went to get a salesman that was more familiar with the brand. He came in & said, sure, you can override it by using a cordless drill, behind the top molding, on the wardrobe. So I asked, How do you get into the bedroom, if the slide is blocking the door? They both got funny looks, on their faces & couldn't come up with an answer.

Jeff
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide