Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Slide out technology...

My last RV was a mid-profile 2003, had an electric motor to shove out the living room slide on two racks. Plastic gear that would go "clickclickclick" to let you know you were stripping it. Had to crank it in with a socket wrench in a start park once, what fun!

Now, I see cables. (BAL Accu-Slide?)

Metal racks with sidewinder paths. (Lippert In-Wall,Schwintek, SlimRack, or
Euro Slide ?)

Hydraulic, and still electric motors, these run on a normal ram system with racks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M85_3004 snake.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	217917   Click image for larger version

Name:	M85_3077 Hydro rack.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	217924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	M85_2936 cables.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	217925  
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #2

Pro's and con's to all. None of them are without issue. Did you have a specific question?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
HWH in my rig, hydraulic with a single ram on three slides and dual hydraulic rams and large chain somewhere in there. Haven't bothered to look up the drawings on how it works. And yes the hydraulic pump is electric.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Pro's and con's to all. None of them are without issue. Did you have a specific question?
Opinions and advice. The last rig we owned (2003 Thor Jazz) had a single slide, two geared rails underneath with an electric motor on a gearbox with plastic gears. Once the gear chipped, you were done. No limit switches to stop movement, you just listened for the damaging "click". They wouldn't sell you just the plastic gear, they only wanted to sell you the whole assembly. So, I don't want that anymore.

I was initially turned off on the hydraulic slide because about once a year we camp in a location where I can deploy the curbside / doorside slide for one night but not the opposite one. Since then I've been told how to do that and have checked for the valves on units that I'm evaluating. But even those rigs have an electric slide somewhere, usually the bedroom.

I just want to understand what I'm getting and make a better decision since there are options now. Learn what maintenance I should expect to perform, and not be lying on my back under the trailer with hand tools to get me out of the campground.
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
Opinions and advice. The last rig we owned (2003 Thor Jazz) had a single slide, two geared rails underneath with an electric motor on a gearbox with plastic gears. Once the gear chipped, you were done. No limit switches to stop movement, you just listened for the damaging "click". They wouldn't sell you just the plastic gear, they only wanted to sell you the whole assembly. So, I don't want that anymore.

I was initially turned off on the hydraulic slide because about once a year we camp in a location where I can deploy the curbside / doorside slide for one night but not the opposite one. Since then I've been told how to do that and have checked for the valves on units that I'm evaluating. But even those rigs have an electric slide somewhere, usually the bedroom.

I just want to understand what I'm getting and make a better decision since there are options now. Learn what maintenance I should expect to perform, and not be lying on my back under the trailer with hand tools to get me out of the campground.
Gotcha!

My trailer has hydraulic slides in all three locations. It is quite easy to select any or all slides to move.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

I went with a 8.5 foot wide Arctic Fox 22G with no slide. I wanted to avoid mechanical issues and leaks. My wife and I feel we have plenty of room without the slide. I can always go outside if I need to stretch my legs.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

As DJNCJ said, pros/cons to all of them. Last Suites and current Suites have had Lippert hydraulic main slides and now the BR slides are BAL cables.
If lying on your back doesn't thrill you, not sure you can find a fiver/slides that won't cause you to do that at some point. My older Suites lost a gear pack after 8 years--was just a matter of looking at the parts, checking the internet for advice, getting the parts and replacing.
Maintenance? Mfg online manuals is probably best bet, or help from other owners who have been there/done that.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

We have opposing main slides that are hydraulic and the bedroom slide is electric, Schwintek. Our hydraulic work together and open on same controller switch (not an issue for us). Apparently there are ways to close a hydraulic line (I'm told) at the hydraulic manifold near the pump? Never had a reason to try it even when overnighting at Walmart (just park against the outside edge of the lot and with slides extended still using the same amount of space).

The Schwintek has been great and works well. Just have to make sure to fully extend/retract to keep the two electric motors in sync.

We had an internal leak on the hydraulic ram for the main slide and had to have it replaced at not quite 2 years old (not sure how often that happens). When that happened, the slides would partially extend about 4 inches on their own. Once replaced, no more issues. They work smooth and in general we are happy with them.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, slide