Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Slide Toppers on the new 5th wheel?

We've concluded it would be useful to have slide toppers on the bedroom and dining slides on our 5th wheel. My slides have flanges (a facing) that fit against the side of the trailer. I got an estimate from my selling dealer, and even WITH the "15%" discount, it was over $1400.

SO, I'm looking at Camping world. I"ve got a Dometic installation guide, and if I'm reading it right it should be:

Slide-out width (min / max): 76" - 81 3/4" my slide is 79 1/2"
Total awning length: 89 3/4"
Awning length required: 86 1/2"

Dining slide-out width (min /max): 97 1/2 - 100 1/4" my slide is 97 1/2
Total awning length: 110 3/4"
Awning length required: 107 1/2"

This seems really wide to me... I THOUGHT the topper was supposed to be wider than the actual room width, but NOT wider than the slideout face width... How is this ACTUALLY supposed to work?

And WHICH awning side do I pick for a 79 1/2" slide and a 97 1/2" slide?

There are two types, one withOUT a metal cover, the other with. I've read topics in here that say the cover is good, others that say it's a BIG problem 'cause all the little garbage (leaves, acorns, whatever) get between the topper and the metal cover. Posters have said they had to get on a ladder and clean off the topper every time they put the slide in. If I have to do that, I may as well skip the toppers and just clean off the top of the slide... So, are the metal covers GOOD or BAD?

Lastly, the installation guide looks really convoluted. I'm not sure if it's deliberately incomprehensible or if there's some legitimate reason to have a dealer install the slides. Has anyone installed toppers on a fiberglass trailer from scratch, themselves? Does it really take two people, 'cause I don't have two...

I'm willing to have Camping World do the install if the price is reasonable (again, one poster indicated CW installation was $81, which would be fine)...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is some info maybe different for comparison.
A topper will cover the roof of slide not over extend the slide.
I have the metal wrap around mine and it will keep the topper from catching the wind and possible unraveling while traveling down the road and protection from tree branches if you run near one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
My slide toppers have the metal covers and in the 6 years we had the 5er I have never had to clean them or ever do anything to them. The only thing is that they sag when it rains and after a rainstorm I pull the slides about half way in to drain off the water.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

I personally prefer the Carefree slide toppers over the A&E,(Dometic). The carefree fabrics are better quality. I haven't seen a dometic go much over 3 years before you have to replace a fabric.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

Called CW today and ordered the slide toppers and installation... The difference was over $600 between the local dealer and CW... Same toppers, same size, same everything. Difference was almost all in the installation... Local place wanted over $300 PER TOPPER.. CW was $81...
Old 06-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Called CW today and ordered the slide toppers and installation... The difference was over $600 between the local dealer and CW... Same toppers, same size, same everything. Difference was almost all in the installation... Local place wanted over $300 PER TOPPER.. CW was $81...
That is an invevtment you will never regret making.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Good subject !
I too hear different opinions on them....
and would like more from users that have had them...

with four slides on mine, that's an investment decision

my thoughts are keeping the sun off the slide tops would be a good thing...
and allowing the rolling effect of the slide topper to self clean like the awning does...

can you give me some pros and cons ?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #8

My 5r is 18yrs old. Never had a slide topper. Never saw a need for them.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Normally, I'd agree with NOT getting them. Except for 2 recent experiences:

1. I spent over a week at Yellowstone in late May. It SNOWED every day! One morning I walked out to go photograph stuff, and heard a racket behind me. When I turned around, it was the guy next to me on his roof cleaning the snow off the top of his slideouts. He commented that he couldn't put them in until they were cleaned off...

2. Redently camped in a state park that's woody. We had a wind overnight and wound up with a pile of small limbs (really small) and some kind of tree seeds on both slideouts. To get things cleaned off we had to drag a picnic table over and get up and broom as much as we could off. Then, once the slides were in we had to clean up the rest inside the trailer. It would have been really messy if it had been raining.

Neither my wife nor I is willing to get on top of the trailer to clean off the slides, so, based on those incidents I decided it would be a good idea...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be very careful and inspect the installation from Camping World. They may be cheaper...but for a reason.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #11

I too would check CW's installation very carefully. Not known for the best service in RV-land. Just double check that they followed the recommended installation to the letter, if not - why? Get a written installation guarantee.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide