Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Slideout wont work!

Hello, I have a 2001 30ft Coachman Deluxe fifth wheel. The large slide out has stopped working. It worked fine last summer but this year when I push the button nothing happens. I can manually crank it out. I checked the relays, they seem fine. I bought a brand new motor and installed it and still, nothing happens when I push the button. Can someone please help me figure out what to do next?
ccookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Well instead of throwing parts at it why not test/check for DC Power

Slideouts DC are wired directly from battery and have an in-line fuse (or DC Circuit Breaker) close to battery.

Find/test for DC ..........should be 30A
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Well instead of throwing parts at it why not test/check for DC Power

Slideouts DC are wired directly from battery and have an in-line fuse (or DC Circuit Breaker) close to battery.

Find/test for DC ..........should be 30A
Great advice. Check all fuses and check power...make sure motor is getting power, if not, you will need to trace back to power source and see where the problem lies.

Good luck. Just takes time, but in the end, you will learn a lot about your system.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

I agree with old Biscuit, stop throwing new parts at it till you know what the problem is. Don't know how long you've been RVing but get a cheap multi meter for testing circuits. If your in RVing for the long haul learn how to use the meter,,,it will save you money and time. If you need more advise come on back we're to help

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #5

Might have to remove the switch panel to check out the switch.......be careful, there's slip on connections there, and one might be loose......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

The first thing to check is for a tripped circuit breaker on the side wall in the battery box. At least that is where mine is and the first thing that stops are the slides. Mine has 2.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

2001 coachman fifth wheel slide out not working at all

I replaced circuit breakers next to batteries, they were rusty and corroded and needed to be replaced. The Rv dealership technician told me they are 40 AMP breakers, not sure if that's right because the breakers I took out were 30 amp. but I put the 40amp breakers he sold me in anyway. The slide out still doesn't work. most of the wiring under my fifth wheel is enclosed but what I can see of the wires looks fine. When I push the slideout switch either in or out, I can hear a clicking coming from where the motor is, and from the relays. I know the relays are fine. It seems like the motor is not getting enough power but I don't know why. No tripped breakers or blown fuses. What next?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccookson View Post
I replaced circuit breakers next to batteries, they were rusty and corroded and needed to be replaced. The Rv dealership technician told me they are 40 AMP breakers, not sure if that's right because the breakers I took out were 30 amp. but I put the 40amp breakers he sold me in anyway. The slide out still doesn't work. most of the wiring under my fifth wheel is enclosed but what I can see of the wires looks fine. When I push the slideout switch either in or out, I can hear a clicking coming from where the motor is, and from the relays. I know the relays are fine. It seems like the motor is not getting enough power but I don't know why. No tripped breakers or blown fuses. What next?
Might be worth checking your battery if you haven't yet.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Might be worth checking your battery if you haven't yet.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
The Switch

I had similar problem where I could hold the switch in just the right place and it would work. But you had to find the sweet spot or it did not work. Push the switch gently and when you hear the click hold it there if possible.. New switch was my final solution and it works now.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #11

Once upon a time with another RV my slide stopped working. It was a blown fuse (did not look like any fuse I had ever seen. A little square box with 2 wires bolted to it). As I recall it was bolted to a wall inside the front panel. We disconnected one wire and moved it to the other stud (in effect jumpering the wires and then the slide worked. Replaced the fuse and things worked fine.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccookson View Post
Did you check for input voltage to the relay? Depending on the relay style, you will have 3 or 4 wires.

Constant hot, should be a big wire for supplying voltage to the relay directly from the batteries. If this wire is dead the relay will click but nothing will happen.

Switched hot. This wire comes from the switch that runs the slides. You said the relay clicks so it sounds like it is working.

Output hot to the motor. When the relay clicks, if you have input voltage you should get output voltage. IF you don't it's possible the contacts inside the relay are burnt. So even though a relay clicks, does not mean it's good.

Possibly ground, it is possible the relay is grounded through the frame, but unlikely.

Also, check for ground at the motor.
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

As I was thinking through all the things that could be causing my slide out to not function, I just kept thinking, why do I think the motor isn't getting enough power and how to fix it. I suddenly thought....Voltage Drop!! I was using a 100-foot 14 gauge extension cord plugged into the 25-foot cord on the camper. I now have a 25ft cord connected to the 25ft camper cord. Suprise surprise the slide out now moves when the switch pushed but.... It's never just one problem. I don't think it is possible for the slideout to move any slower than it does right now at this rate it will take at least 1/2 an hour to get that thing all the way in or out, and the converter is still steadily humming and I do not remember it doing that last year. Now I did put a brand new slideout motor in but I'm pretty sure its the exact same motor that was on there before and that one worked fine with good speed.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #14

Sounds like your batteries are dead. Test the voltage at the batteries with out being plugged into 110V power. If batteries are low it will take quite a while for your inverter to charge them back up. How old are your batteries? What does the water level look like?
If down below 10v or plates showing I would just get new ones.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout