RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Question Small tote - proper dumping etiquate

This is going to sound like a dumb stupid question.

I am thinking of getting a small tote (10 to 18 gal) for emergency's. What is the proper etiquette now to dump when there is not a dump station or do you even try?

Many times I am camped at places without a dump station. I have seen numerous folks carry a small tank into the restroom or pit toiled to dump ( they look like a cassette tank from tent campers). Is this Proper?

Only a few times have I been in a pinch and those times I used a 5 gallon bucket (with lid) partially filled and to the restroom. Once gray and once black water.

So what is an acceptable practice now?

Also what the best small tote tank out there (under say 18 gallon) Thetford is off my list (bad reviews on new version) but there is Barker and Tote-n-store. I plan to carry in my front compartment so size is limited.

PS it appears that for any of the tanks I will need one of these to prevent spills when emptying. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...on+waste+valve

Thanks for the help.
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Myself I wouldn't do it as this could over stress the pit toilet if that is where you are talking about dumping. Also even 10 gallons of liquid is over 80# not including the tank. Can you imagine what a mess you might have on your hand if when trying to dump it and it slipped and spilled all over the toilet and with no water to clean up the mess. How many other campers are you going to p*** off if that would happen plus park personnel that is going to have to clean up your mess and the possibility of being ticketed for improper disposal of sewage.

Most cassette toilets that people dump are around 4 gallons.

This IMO and each to their own.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

your 'sewer' is no different than you 'using' a public toilet or outlet.... don't worry. Use it if it's there and you need it. And, yes, it weighs a LOT more than you think! A smaller tank or 5gal bucket is best, easier to handle, smaller and lighter to store and carry.
The tougher part, though, is trying to transfer only the amount you want into your tank or bucket, without 'overfilling' it(!).... yuck...

Usually these activities are best after dark, so as not to disturb your neighbors, if that's a concern.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Thanks for mentioning the weight. I am looking at a 10 gallon one now. Some have pop up gauges to indicate when filling but who know what accuracy they are. It usually the gray tank that fills first.

Any brand recommendations?
Thanks
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

Mine has pop-up red flag...but by then it is too late. Ask me how I know...yuck.

There is no easy way to do this. I have a tote that is designed to tow on the hitch ball to a dump station.

You might get a 5 gallon tote and dump everyday or gray water 3 times a day. I can shower using 3.5 gallons of water.

Again, not easy to do. Either your tote will be too heavy or too small.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is there no drain hose attached to this tank? That might make it a bit easier.

Never has bothered me that folks do this, as long as they don't spill all over and just walk away. Wouldn't want to be the latrine guy in that case!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF there is not a dump station you do not dump. PERIOD.

Black water (Toilet waste) MUST be discharged into a proper dump station or sewer hookup
Gray. Depending on the location may be in a few places ground dumped

Wash water (No kitchen sink) can ge ground dumped in many but not all places.

But if there is no dump station do not dump. PERIOD. Find a dump station and dump there

Example... One place I park on occasion the Dump Station (Two of 'em one just for totes) is across the street.