Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #1

Sofa small rip

Just got a new to us 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK. The sofa (vinyl I think) has a small rip in it. May have been due to a dogs claw catching it. Is there something I can do to keep it from getting worse? Also, does anyone use some type of conditioner so that the vinyl doesn't start cracking over time?

Thank you!
UMTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMTerp View Post
Just got a new to us 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK. The sofa (vinyl I think) has a small rip in it. May have been due to a dogs claw catching it. Is there something I can do to keep it from getting worse? Also, does anyone use some type of conditioner so that the vinyl doesn't start cracking over time?

Thank you!
We full time in our rig since June 2019, we bought it in October 2017. We just use water and a soft cloth to keep it clean.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMTerp View Post

Thank you!
Duct tape!

Lyle
Old 02-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #4

You might try one of the “off the shelf” vinyl repair kits where you mix and apply the colored patch compound, then cover with a protective film and use a heat source like an iron to bond it to the existing vinyl. I’ve had reasonably good luck using such on vinyl boat seats once or twice to at least extend the life of them for a year or so before ultimately cracking/tearing again.

Happy Trails,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #5

Thank you! I will try a kit.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:43 AM   #6

I just repaired a small 1", v shaped rip in a leather seat, caused by a dog jumping up into our truck. I tucked a small, thin piece of fabric under the rip to provide some support & used Loctite Go2 glue. It stays slightly flexible, but secured the rip with a solid bond that I could not separate. I first took a piece of scrap leather & created am identical rip & tested the glue & the application process on the scrap piece. It went well. I used a toothpick to apply the glue to the edges of the rip. Some glue got on top of the leather, but I was able to wipe it right off with no residue remaining on top. The rip was still slightly noticeable, but only if you were looking for it. I was surprised at how well the glue worked for this problem. I've used this glue for a lot of different repairs for several years.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
I just repaired a small 1", v shaped rip in a leather seat, caused by a dog jumping up into our truck. I tucked a small, thin piece of fabric under the rip to provide some support & used Loctite Go2 glue. It stays slightly flexible, but secured the rip with a solid bond that I could not separate. I first took a piece of scrap leather & created am identical rip & tested the glue & the application process on the scrap piece. It went well. I used a toothpick to apply the glue to the edges of the rip. Some glue got on top of the leather, but I was able to wipe it right off with no residue remaining on top. The rip was still slightly noticeable, but only if you were looking for it. I was surprised at how well the glue worked for this problem. I've used this glue for a lot of different repairs for several years.
I've used various vinyl repair kits over the years that required the use of a piece of material on the backside of the tear or cut with some success. However, this method using the Loctite adhesive is far and away the best, most permanent solution.