Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #1

Solar, life battery, generator hook up components

I am wanting to install about 6 -100Ah life batteries and probably going to get 2000 watts of solar panels. Besides the solar panels and the batteries, what do I need to hook all this stuff up including a generator? Also if possible, the most economical components available, but dependable. Also, whether to use 48 or 12 volts. Maybe too, where the lowest prices and vendors are. thanks
groran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
You must be boon docking full time

Quote:
Originally Posted by groran View Post
I am wanting to install about 6 -100Ah life batteries and probably going to get 2000 watts of solar panels. Besides the solar panels and the batteries, what do I need to hook all this stuff up including a generator? Also if possible, the most economical components available, but dependable. Also, whether to use 48 or 12 volts. Maybe too, where the lowest prices and vendors are. thanks
It sounds like you are going to be boon docking full time. What do you intend to put it on. I would investigate solar kits on Amazon. You are probably talking $5,000 to $10,000 depending on what you buy and if you can install it all yourself. Here is a 2000 watt setup on amazon (ECO-WORTHY 8KWh 2000W 24V Solar Power Kit System for Home: 10pcs 195W Solar Panel+ 2pcs 25.6V 100Ah Lithium Battery+ 3500W 24V Inverter+ 60A Controller+ 6 String Combiner Box
Visit the ECO-WORTHY Store) $4,899.97 In Addition You will need 5 more batteries according to your wants. a generator, fuses and circuit breaker. and maybe a good victron Mppt controler. The lifepo4 batteries will be a big expence same for a good MPPT controller and all of the Extra cableing. Then there are a Generator, combiner box, Cable glands and other items.Right now you are looking at $8 to $9K Check out HQST on AMazon. I just installed a 400 watt kit with everything I needed for under $700 this included a 800 watt inverter, MPPT Controller and Circuit breaker.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #3

Not sure about doing this with all budget parts , I would get the most effeciant solar charge controllers and pick solar panels that you can fit on your roof with very little wasted space. SPACE is your issue , I have 1920 watts of Newpowa panels on my 5th wheel , I still have enough room for 4 more panels. I have victron energy equipment , it was very easy to make it all work as a system. I have a 3000 watt multiplus II inverter , touch screen to control everything. two 100 amp solar charge controllers ( built for future expansion of panels) . The inverter has duel inputs and changes over seamlessly from utility to battery and back, clocks never loose time. You would need a bunch of small parts to build a compleat system but your battery's will be the biggest cost.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:13 AM   #4

Looking for 8 hours of power

Sounds like xc mark has done it. Yes, I figured at almost $10k. Looking for a setup to run 12k BTU a/c for 8-10 hours until the sun came up and takes over with panels. I thought I read someone is using 6- 100AH life batts to do it with about 2000 watts of panels. Did I also read that a 48-volt system is more efficient than a 12-volt? If I can use less, then that would be good too. A complete list of control components would be good and extremely appreciated big time. My 5th wheel is 38 feet long. Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:20 AM   #5

When you talk about a 48-volt system, are you speaking of running everything inside your trailer at 48 volts with stepdowns, or simply wiring your panels into series-groups that then transmit the power into the solar controller at 48 volts?

And - adding a generator setup newly into your system? You'll need a transfer switch, too. (I didn't see that listed below.) And a lot of wiring expertise. A lot.

I'd look at a complete installed system from one of the bigger shops if I were you. I wouldn't tell them what size of anything to install at your stage - I'd tell them what I want to run and let them do the calculations. Make sure they know you want A/C all day and night.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Look at this thread and you will see what we just had done last week:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/rece...op-592207.html
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #7

48 volt system

[QUOTE=Bobby F;6313610]When you talk about a 48-volt system, are you speaking of running everything inside your trailer at 48 volts with stepdowns, or simply wiring your panels into series-groups that then transmit the power into the solar controller at 48 volts?

And - adding a generator setup newly into your system? You'll need a transfer switch, too. (I didn't see that listed below.) And a lot of wiring expertise. A lot.

I think I read that the 48-volt system uses the inverter to bring the voltage down from 48 to 12. I may be wrong but that's what I thought I read. I didn't see where they had to use step-downs on everything though. I'll do more research. It would probably be simpler to go 12 volt, thanks guys
Old 09-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #8

[QUOTE=groran;6314105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
When you talk about a 48-volt system, are you speaking of running everything inside your trailer at 48 volts with stepdowns, or simply wiring your panels into series-groups that then transmit the power into the solar controller at 48 volts?

I think I read that the 48-volt system uses the inverter to bring the voltage down from 48 to 12. I may be wrong but that's what I thought I read. I didn't see where they had to use step-downs on everything though. I'll do more research. It would probably be simpler to go 12 volt, thanks guys
Going with a higher voltage with step downs will likely save quite a bit of $$$$ in your proposed system. Lighter cabling a more efficient use of charge controllers comes to mind. You have a lot of self educating to do if you want to self install.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The old rule of thumb was 100w of solar for each 100 AH of battery. If your panels are setting flat on your roof. I would think add another 40% for inefficiencies.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
.... Looking for a setup to run 12k BTU a/c for 8-10 hours until the sun came up and takes over with panels. .....
How are you planning on using your RV?

I would suggest that you wait to find out what you like doing before spending lots of money. I like being places where I do not have to run the A/C or the furnace.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Read this thread. He has put a lot of effort into doing what you want to do. And has data on run time of AC units.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ar-247728.html
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:28 PM   #12

There's a Youtuber called Will Prowse that has a TON of vids on solar and Lithium. I'm in the process of adding a serious house bank..... to my truck, see link below. (Also have a TC). The solar is not (yet) part of it, but that's a matter of one more cable to a charge controller. I have the room for one..... Haven't figured how much Wattage I can get on my 45' roof.

https://thecastle.blog/inverter-power/
Old 09-25-2022, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
There's a Youtuber called Will Prowse that has a TON of vids on solar and Lithium. I'm in the process of adding a serious house bank..... to my truck, see link below. (Also have a TC). The solar is not (yet) part of it, but that's a matter of one more cable to a charge controller. I have the room for one..... Haven't figured how much Wattage I can get on my 45' roof.

https://thecastle.blog/inverter-power/

His book is worth the buy as well.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:21 AM   #14

thanks

Thanks to all that replied. Keep it coming, I need all the help I can get!

Tags
battery, generator, solar