Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
Thank you all for the input. The RV is in the pacific northwest and overcast all winter long with short days. In the summer should be no problem. I just want to keep the mildew off while in storage. I am familiar with DC wiring needs. I shall do some more reading and might keep it connected to AC power at $25 per month which is what i have been doing for now. I just need some insurance regarding mold avoidance when stored at a place where I cannot connect to power.

To ensure no mold during storage I open my roof vents (all have vent covers) and I crack a couple off windows. I have done this for years and works very well.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. The RV is in the pacific northwest and overcast all winter long with short days. In the summer should be no problem. I just want to keep the mildew off while in storage. I am familiar with DC wiring needs. I shall do some more reading and might keep it connected to AC power at $25 per month which is what i have been doing for now. I just need some insurance regarding mold avoidance when stored at a place where I cannot connect to power.
Ahh, now there comes the rest of the story....

For the reasonable price of $25 per month in the gloomy damp, drippy, dreary, moldy, mildew- ridden PNW where the sun seldom shines? You'll be far better off to stay on the shore power. Acquire a real residential DE-humidifier (with a real refrigeration circuit) and keep the trailer sealed up. Drop the DE-humidifier drain hose (they have this option) into the shower drain. Also acquire a moderately priced multi-staged automatic battery tender. Providing you have just an average converter and not a multi-stage inverter / converter?
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Hurk. Your comments are useful since you live n a similar climate. do you use a dehumidifier?
Thank you MtnTrek. It is sunny and dry all summer, spring and fall. But the winters are as you describe. I have a regular convertor and a heating fan dehumidifier which had worked fine the past 3 years. Maybe abandoning the solar power route is a good idea.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #18

Solar Power

Quote:
Thank you Hurk. Your comments are useful since you live n a similar climate. do you use a dehumidifier?
Thank you MtnTrek. It is sunny and dry all summer, spring and fall. But the winters are as you describe. I have a regular convertor and a heating fan dehumidifier which had worked fine the past 3 years. Maybe abandoning the solar power route is a good idea.

Never used a dehumidifier as you say I live in same climate. I have never had a problem leaving vents open with windows cracked. I just purchased a new to me 2009 Cardinal in Feb 2017. The back window inside felt at the bottom was very wet due to condensation. When I got it to my storage I opened vents cracked windows and it dried up quickly and no problem since. We have had record amounts of rain and no problem. When you open door smells very fresh!
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #19

unless you want to shoot in the dark install a battery monitor like a trimetric first and see what's going on with your batteries. one you know what your coach and everythi g in it pulls you will know what you need in solar. you'll also be able to figure out if anything is pulling more power than expected and either fix the problem or turn that stuff off for storage. you can also pick up one of the portable solar kits to get an idea of how well they work. wiring is key. If it's wrong gauge or too long you'll lose a lot of power to voltage drops. on my 120 watt unit I typically get 6 amps at the panel and 5 or less at the batteries. without a bmk you won't know how much is actually getting to the batteries and how well the panels are working. Don't skimp on the solar controller. they need to have multiple charging patterns to fully charge your batteries. a temp probe and ability to customize the charging pattern to your battery manufacturer specs are huge plusses.
mocarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for your input. I shall try to get it worked out
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #21

I'd go with dehumidifier over cracking windows and vents, mostly because I'll be covered vs inside

I've read humidity is a concern in RV's anyway, so it seems we will want one once we live in a warm and humid climate (vs the cold and humid climate we are in now)

Where the hell in the PNW do you live that it is only wet during winter? I just recorded an inch of rain yesterday
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Kitsap county.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Kitsap county.
We must have different ideas of what "sunny and dry all spring summer and fall" means. But whatever, not really on topic anyway I guess
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar