Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2022, 11:08 PM   #1

Solar silliness

Hello, all
Situation
2008 Glendale Titanium 30E35SA
I have tried to use our solar/converter system. Converter on, it spools up as expected. Test for power at the converter indicates power available. Sounds good so far. Power from converter to tv is dead, appears to be no power available.
Suggestions?
lostscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostscout View Post
Hello, all
Situation
2008 Glendale Titanium 30E35SA
I have tried to use our solar/converter system. Converter on, it spools up as expected. Test for power at the converter indicates power available. Sounds good so far. Power from converter to tv is dead, appears to be no power available.
Suggestions?
Yes..... get someone with a multi meter in there who knows what they are doing.

Not sure what you mean by "solar converter system". Do you mean inverter? Solar charges batteries, inverter makes 120V feeds TV? Or do you have a 12V TV and you are feeding it with your Converter (which is 12VDC) What is the state of charge of your battery bank? See what I mean? Back to my first sentence.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Yes..... get someone with a multi meter in there who knows what they are doing.

Not sure what you mean by "solar converter system". Do you mean inverter? Solar charges batteries, inverter makes 120V feeds TV? Or do you have a 12V TV and you are feeding it with your Converter (which is 12VDC) What is the state of charge of your battery bank? See what I mean? Back to my first sentence.
Ditto
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #4

Batteries fully charged, yes inverter, trying to power 120 volt tv. Switch for system (“shore power/ inverter) in correct position
Old 01-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the TV work on shore power?
If yes then many things are OK.

Do other 120 volt devices work off the inverter? If not then need to test power at the inverter output terminals.

A common issue is a bad GFCI outlet in the 120 volt circuit.

I agree you need someone with a meter and understanding how RV electrical systems work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well i'm kinda new to this also, but so far i learned that. Need more solar panels to run a TV. If lights come on but no tv then this could be the case.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #7

Number of solar panels should not be a factor. Typical system: Solar charges batteries; batteries power inverter; inverter makes 120 volt. Have you tried plugging TV directly into inverter? The SOC of the batteries will determine if there is enough to run the TV (or any other 120 volt load)
Old 01-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
Have you tried plugging TV directly into inverter?
Or anything else with a plug for that matter..... Because here's a catch: I have an inverter, but it is installed so as to ONLY power the residential fridge........

So, throw us a bone..... which make/model inverter is it? And a picture with the setup would help.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
well i'm kinda new to this also, but so far i learned that. Need more solar panels to run a TV. If lights come on but no tv then this could be the case.
Lights are 12VDC. TV's are (mostly, there are exceptions) 120VAC. Inverters have power requirements which are less than an LED lamp, so while your statement is technically correct in that it describes "A" scenario, it does not give proper context and shows a lack of understanding. (That's not an insult, we all started in the same place knowing nothing.....)

Do some Googelizing and Youtube searching.

*Learn what Volts, Amps and Watts are and their relationship.
*Learn the difference between DC and AC and how you make one from the other.
*Learn to make an energy budget by understanding and adding your consumption.
*Learn different battery chemistries and how they store energy, and more importantly how much energy and what that energy will do for you and how you need to replace it.
*Buy a multi meter and "see" all I am talking above.

You don't have to do this. A properly designed system can be operated if someone who DOES know all the above tells you which buttons to push.

But that's not enough to have a reliable, properly managed system. And it's not enough to go boon docking and making adjustments as necessary. You have to UNDERSTAND the system if you want to answers questions like:

*Gonna be cold tonight. Can I run the furnace all night?
*What kind of inverter installation do I have, what all can it power, how much can it power total at any given point in time? For how long?
*And along those lines: What should happen when I plug this in and turn it on.... And if it doesn't turn on: Why?
*If relying on solar: Gonna be cloudy...... What SOC will my battery get to today? Do I need to make adjustments tonight?

And in totality: Do have a system that meets my needs, or do I need to make adjustments in the design?

ALL these questions can be answered using simple concepts and simple math. It's all just physics.

Knowing how stuff works and being able to fix/adjust it on the fly makes you a happier camper. Otherwise it's best to buy a time share.

My opinion is, of course, worth what you paid for it.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:56 AM   #10

Everything works on “shore power “. There is an orange cord that leads away from the inverter, and appears at a plug in behind the refrigerator. There is another lead that runs to the bedroom tv. There is power available at the inverter outlets. As far as I can tell, the inverter is set up to feed the 2 TVs and the DVD machine.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostscout View Post
Everything works on “shore power “. There is an orange cord that leads away from the inverter, and appears at a plug in behind the refrigerator. There is another lead that runs to the bedroom tv. There is power available at the inverter outlets. As far as I can tell, the inverter is set up to feed the 2 TVs and the DVD machine.
So there is power out of the outlets on the inverter itself, and there are a few cables plugged in to them? that go to the TV and the fridge.

If you plug a simple test light (for minimal draw) into the outlets behind the fridge and or the TV do you have power?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:27 PM   #12

Now that is something I have not done
Old 01-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #13

I have a solar system in a new to me 2016 jayco eagle and I went crazy trying to get the solar to work come to find out I needed to turn the converter off using the breaker in the panel to be able to use the solar
Goingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingsouth View Post
I have a solar system in a new to me 2016 jayco eagle and I went crazy trying to get the solar to work come to find out I needed to turn the converter off using the breaker in the panel to be able to use the solar
That system is wired very strangely. No fundamental reason for that relationship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar