Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #1

Solera awning closure bottom fitment issue.

Hello. 2021 Jayco 5er with a Solera electric awning, although this is not a fifth wheel specific issue.

I have read many posts about Solera electric awnings not aligning correctly (fore to aft) which causes interference among the arm channels, leading to them not closing properly. The solution is typically to adjust the set screw at the awning to roll tube connection, or awning to rail connection, thereby re-aligning the awning arm so that it fits around the mounted awning track attached to the rig. Well, that is NOT my issue.

This is my issue: Since new, the bottoms of both awning arms have not quite been tight against the rig when the awning is in stowed position. The motor works fine, and the top is secured tight when retracted. I believe over the last 18 months the slop has gotten a little worse, such that the bottom of each arm has perhaps 2.5” inches away from the rig itself, and a .5” visible distance between the “bottom” of the arm channel and the “top” of the fixed channel. It’s enough that I can observe the gap in my side view mirror while traveling down the road. Honestly, I would accept “close” , drill a couple holes and add a coupler pin to hold them if I was worried, but at this point it is so far away from tight, there is no point in doing that. I need to address whatever is causing this.

So the question is, what do I need to adjust to correct this bottom fitment? All of the arm joints appear to be sound and solid, the awning attachment seems to be centered, the struts seem to be fine, and the awning otherwise operates flawlessly. I never really did like this sort of floating, pitchable arm design, but did not expect this to be the reason I have an issue.

Sorry, I did not snap pictures to illustrate this but I think my explanation suffices. Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

187 posts about speed limits and 0 regarding solving this problem. Must be a tough one.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #3

Same problem on a 2022 Genesis Supreme! I just noticed it today and hope to look at it tomorrow. It looks like there’s something in the middle of the arm so when the top is tight, the bottom pivots out.
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
Same problem on a 2022 Genesis Supreme! I just noticed it today and hope to look at it tomorrow. It looks like there’s something in the middle of the arm so when the top is tight, the bottom pivots out.
Let me know what you find - I am away from the rig a few weeks so won't be able to do PD.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #5

Just spent a lovely few hours recalling high school geometry! On our trailer, the gas strut seems to be the problem since the arm closes with a bit of pressure. The various Lippert manuals are of no help and there isn’t a positional adjustment, so I’ll ask my rv tech when I see him mid November. He’s pretty sharp, so maybe……
Old 10-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
Just spent a lovely few hours recalling high school geometry! On our trailer, the gas strut seems to be the problem since the arm closes with a bit of pressure. The various Lippert manuals are of no help and there isn’t a positional adjustment, so I’ll ask my rv tech when I see him mid November. He’s pretty sharp, so maybe……
Thanks! I don't think the struts are the issue, but i could be wrong for sure.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #7

I had an opportunity to discuss the arm issue with my rv tech. According to him, this is a common concern with Solera awnings (which doesn’t help us a bit). When the awning is retracted, the outboard strut attachment wants to push out (expand), and puts outward pressure on the arm. A weaker strut would fix this pressure issue, but would most likely not push the arm out properly when the awning is deployed, and properly hold the awning arm out in a bit of wind. So we’re left without a solution. The tech did not recall any issues with the arm being a little out from the wall, and I haven’t see any posts on it. Obviously other manufacturers have a different approach, so it appears we have another Lippert anomaly. Wish I had a solution because it sure looks odd when you’re driving down the road!

Tags
awning