Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Solitude owners

So, I have been looking at rear kitchen 5th wheels. I was leaning towards the DRV 41RKDB or 41RKSB4 (used 2020). I did look at the Redwood 4001 but there wasn't a lot of kitchen cabinets. Then today we looked at the Solitude 390RK. My wife liked how all the kitchen cabinets were at her level (she is short) unlike in our present Redwood a lot of the cabinets are too high for her. The Solitude has good reviews that I read. I did a build and price on line with basically everything: genny, solar, washer/dryer, full body paint, and plus these units seem to come with a lot of nice standard options and I am around what one of the used DRV's would be with little of the options the Solitude would have. The only thing I couldn't get for the Solitude that I would have wanted was independent suspension. I can upgrade to 8k axles with disc brakes, which I would, but would have liked the IS. So my questions are for Solitude owners.
Do owners really like them? Has there been any major problems identified? Do you feel these are quality build? For those who have the rear kitchen model is there any problems with things bouncing all over the place in the kitchen due to the camper porpoising? When you need any service done do you believe you are being taken care of? And any other comments about the Solitude would be appreciated.
Thanks
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Not being Grand Design owners but we do have the IS system. The IS system is really nice. Just a side note, it could take 9-10 months to get an appointment to have it installed at MorRyde. Plus, they can install disc brakes.
They actually transferred our disc brakes system over to the new IS system in October 2020.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:47 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
You can see my GD model in my signature line.

The DRV is much better built than the GD - hands down. It has better insulation, better plumbing, better waste draining. It is also heavier (probably something to do with how well built). The DRV can have all the usual issues (leaks, failing equipment, etc.) as any fifth wheel - including GD.

I'm not familiar with an option for option comparison but maybe because you are ordering the GD and can spec options you can get some not already on a used DRV.

Get the floor plan you like (GD or DRV).

We like our floor plan and are happy with the rig even after 4 years. We're having IS put on it next month. We've spent up to 7 months in it and usually 4 to 5 months a year traveling; it serves us well.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #4

In a different forum, someone who initially was told 8-10 months on the IS installation, was able to get it done in 2 1/2 months. Apparently there has been a lot of cancellations lately.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:31 PM   #5

We had owned a 2018 Solitude 310gk, and then in 2020 we bought a DRV Mobile Suites. There is no comparison between the two. It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai. The cabinet frames in the GD are vinyl covered MDF. The DRV are solid wood. The DRV has MorRyde IS, disc brakes, and "H" rated tires. The GD does not. The DRV has 3 1/2" insulated walls. The GD does not. The DRV floors are LVT planks. The GD is sheet vinyl. Some, not all, DRV's even have a fiberglass roof.

After one year of light use the vinyl was peeling off the bedroom, bathroom, and closet doors of the GD.

The Grand Design earned it's customer loyalty through customer service, not the quality of the unit. I think Alliance would be a better choice than Grand Design. I've heard they have excellent CS. GD, not so much anymore.

That's just my personal opinion as an owner of both the GD and DRV. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #6

I would agree with the comment above the DRV pre-covid would be a better RV. The couple we have made a few trips with just purchased a rear kitchen Solitude. There is much more storage under the kitchen outside than any other 5th wheel I have looked at > They have not had any issues with the trailer. If you plan on Moving the trailer and doing a LOT of traveling Morryde IS with disk brakes is FAR SUPERIOR to axels and drum brakes. Currently you're looking at $10K to do that upgrade to a solitude and honestly Its worth the time and money. Our friends pull their Solitude with a 2019 GMC dual wheel 1 ton , its a good combo and he get just over 10 MPG towing at 70mph. There trailer has 17.5 tires and 8K axels with drum brakes , DONT buy one that has lighter spec axles if you find one built that way.

For my money I would try to find a good used DRV with all the options you want . Keep in mind the DRV is close to maxing out a 1-ton dual wheel truck depending on the model year truck. Typical payload on new 1 ton is just over 5200 lbs older ones maybe closer to or under 4000 LBS of pin weight.

100% no question in my mind residential refrigerator is must unless you plan on doing BLM land camping or boondocking .

Tags
solitude