Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #1

Solitude vs. Pinnacle

I've narrowed it down for our next RV, either a Grand Design Solitude or a Jayco Pinnacle. We're fulltiming it and going for under 36'. Any opinions on which is the nicer 5'er between the 2?
Ulspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #2

Our friends have a 2014 Jayco Pinnacle (OP) and have been quite happy with it. They tow it with a 06 F350 dually...nice trailer and nice rig.
Can speak for the Solitude as I an unfamiliar with it.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

I would pick the Jayco Pinnacle hands down. They are very nice with all the features possible.

Grand Design was bought by Winnebago which is not bad but the Pinnacle is a top of the line 5 th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

Check out the sidewall crack issues on Jayco

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #5

That's what I'm thinking, I'm getting the impression that build quality is higher.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco is one of 3 manufacturers I would not buy from. Hands down a Grand Designs are the most popular, best built trailers and fivers built today. We have a 28'. You will not find anyone that bought one talk bad about them. They also have the best after sale factory response team.
Get more info before buying.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing the info on Jayco, I'm still learning the ropes on that company, as well as Grand Design.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #8

1) the equivalent to Solitude in the Jayco line is North Point, Pinnacle is a higher finish than Solitude. Not apples to apples.

2) the sidewall cracking mentioned above plagues all front slide mid tier 5th wheel manufacturers, not just Jayco. Keystone has the same issue, as does Grand Design.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
JDT

We went thru the same thing last year. We narrowed it down to our Pinnacle and the Solitude which was a 310GK if I remember correctly. Very similar in many respects but we felt the interior of the Pinnacle was a bit nicer. I also liked that Jayco uses Dexter axles with the MorRyde LRE4000 suspension system. They also use Goodyear Endurance tires which are made in Alabama. The ride with ours is very smooth. Jayco also has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the Solitude.

The only issue we have had is a non operating a/c from day one which was immediately replaced and an adjustment of the kitchen slide. We've not had any signs of the sidewall cracking issue around the bedroom slide. My understanding is Jayco addressed the issue with the 2020 models.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
1) the equivalent to Solitude in the Jayco line is North Point, Pinnacle is a higher finish than Solitude. Not apples to apples.

2) the sidewall cracking mentioned above plagues all front slide mid tier 5th wheel manufacturers, not just Jayco. Keystone has the same issue, as does Grand Design.
And they all use Lippert frames.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
My understanding is Jayco addressed the issue with the 2020 models.
Mid year 2020 they added an expansion joint below the front edge of the front slide. Whether or not that relieves the stress that causes the crack remains to be seen, as other manufacturers have that joint and still get the cracking.

My opinion is that air cushioned pin boxes and hitches go a long way to preventing the cracking, as it relieves some of the tugging forces on the front lateral frame member. The increasingly poor conditions of our roads in this country seem to correlate with the increase in crack reports.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Mid year 2020 they added an expansion joint below the front edge of the front slide. Whether or not that relieves the stress that causes the crack remains to be seen, as other manufacturers have that joint and still get the cracking.

My opinion is that air cushioned pin boxes and hitches go a long way to preventing the cracking, as it relieves some of the tugging forces on the front lateral frame member. The increasingly poor conditions of our roads in this country seem to correlate with the increase in crack reports.
We use a Reese Goose Box which has 2 shock absorbers and an air bag. It rides really well so maybe that will help keep the cracks at bay. So far so good.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
We use a Reese Goose Box which has 2 shock absorbers and an air bag. It rides really well so maybe that will help keep the cracks at bay. So far so good.
Ditto, us too. 15k miles and the only time a crack started on my rig was when I over filled the airbag (ride was harsh, too). Developed one about 1/4” long there during that tow.

Since then, about 5k miles ago, I’ve been running 40psi regularly in the airbag and the crack has not grown.

I think the dual pivot action of the goose box also helps. It pivots on the ball and where the airbag assembly pin is.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Jayco is one of 3 manufacturers I would not buy from. Hands down a Grand Designs are the most popular, best built trailers and fivers built today. We have a 28'. You will not find anyone that bought one talk bad about them. They also have the best after sale factory response team.
Get more info before buying.
If you research Grand Design owners, you'll find plenty that complain about them, just like other brands.
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solitude