Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Some advice on long rigs for driving

As my wife and I are planning to embarq on our adventure of full timing, ( once we get to that part), I may be anxious about driving the rig.

We bought the dually and are looking at getting a toy hauler. Probably in the 42 foot range. With the length of the truck it could be pretty longgggg,,,,,

I have driven shorter trailers and no issues. Knowing that the turning radius of such beast is longer, I was wondering if there are certain signs, restrictions of which roads a truck like this can go on or not. I guess there
are certain restricitons on height to. Let alone getting gas. Do usually get gas at truck stops? Seems your normal gas stations wouldn't handle it.

Mighty obliged.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Most of the TH like you are referring to are very tall, make sure you KNOW you height and the clearance you are driving under.

I am not sure if you have pulled with a 5th Wheel or Gooseneck before or just a bumper pull. Both pull and turn differently having advantages and disadvantages. Make sure you get to know these.

I have a 36' triple axel right now and I am 11' high. There are very few places I have to worry about how high I am. I have been looking at a new ~40' but the height on most of those is 13.5' which is the same as a typical semi trailer.......
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
See if you can find a driving course some place around you. That would give you a real good idea of how to handle your rig in the future.
Good Luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

Be sensitive that your 5ver wheels will cut corners. Allow for very wide turns. I have more trouble backing a utility trailer then the 5ver. I think it is because I can see the back of the 5ver from the side mirrors better. Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about the 42'. Just be aware.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

The pucker factor is the greatest the first few trips out. As you begin to learn your rig your comfort level will increase. If you have a large vacant parking lot in your town take the wife/spotter and go practice. Find out what your turning radius is, practice backing and learn to communicate with your spotter. Knowing what " a little more to the right means to the spotter" can prove invaluable.

The best advice is planning. Know where you are going and what to expect when you get there. Try to never drive yourself into a situation that you can not drive out of. Having to back out of a tight spot is not fun.

There are several long threads on here regarding fuel stops. Some people like fueling at truck stops some don't. If you need to fuel with your rig attached, they can be a blessing.
paulstravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

5th wheels track to the inside when making turns so you have to do like semi-truckers -----wide turns

Tail swing...when turning allow for that 5vr tail swing.
You have to drive forward a bit before turning away from items next to rig.
(CG sites, fuel pump islands, parked cars!! boulders/trees etc)
Tail Swing !!

We FTd for 7 yrs. traveling weekly using secondary/back roads as much as possible. 5th wheel is 13'4" and 34'
Height was more of an issue in CGs (entrance, CG roads,lack of tree trimming etc)
Only came across a couple of overpasses/trestles that were NOT marked (overgrown vegetation covered one signage and other was stolen). But it was obvious that they were too low so we turned around and when alt. route. Hey we were traveling so what the heck......different road/different views.

We also fueled up at regular stations.......
IF I can get into a CG site and I can get in/out of fuel station.
Had to back out of a couple but so what... have had tighter CG sites/roads

Hookup and then measure to highest point on RV (typically top of A/C Shroud)
Then you KNOW actual height.

Enjoy that TH.....go experience the travel and don't be afraid of using secondary/back-roads
Interstates are for those on a fixed time table NOT retried FTrs
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum.
Fuel fill-ups can be variably problematic. You'll tend to want to be watchful of the stations where the pump islands extend perpendicular to the store front, requiring a long sweeping turn where there are impatient cars zipping in and out of the parking spaces. Depending of your fuel of choice, The diesel pumps "tend" to be on a further outside island. Patience is key and gauge the flow paths available in the lot, not necessarily what non-trailer folks are doing. We also travel with our 2-way radios so it's not uncommon for one of us to roll out of the cab and instruct / gesture and spot while waiting for a pump. More often than not, folks are understanding.
We generally like truck stops for the wide open spaces, high flow nozzles, squeegees, etc. others have issues with esthetic aspects of them, YMMV.
You should be able to go anywhere commercial trucks can. Meaning restrictions should be clearly posted with permanent signage. Impromptu detours and "scenic routes" can pose the highest anxiety with clearances etc.
Best of luck
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

All good advice above--I can attest to the clearance needed with the tail swinging out around gas pump islands--a $6500 hickey.
The other advice I will say is about turns in either direction---swing wide, but DO NOT QUIT WATCHING the tires/curb area and the side/corner signs areas in the mirrors---both can bite you if you assume you have cleared--and haven't.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

X2 on the height. Campgrounds don't always trim trees like you think they would.

Agree with finding a large parking lot to practice and get to know your rig/setup. We used a school parking lot on the weekend to practice so not to be in anyone's way. Many neighborhood schools will have a bus loop that will provide space to practice too.

When it comes to fueling, we typically fill up when we can when we stop for the night. If that doesn't fit in the plan, we look for the best access possible using Google Earth. Our 2011 F350 won't take the high flow pumps so we don't have the luxury of using the truck lanes. We have backed out a couple of times in situations where the pump​s were perpendicular to store. Much prefer stations where pumps are laid out parallel and allow you to pull through, but not always available.

Taking our time and some pre-planning has worked well for us. I figure, worse case scenario, drop the trailer in a bigger parking lot like a Home Depot, fill truck, and then reconnect. We've never had to do it, but would if we had to.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #10

Another word on fueling, a 1/2 tank is an empty tank. I always try to fill when I am down to 1/2 a tank since it solves many problems.

1. It allows you to choose which station you want to you, not one you have to use. If the town or area you planned on fueling up in is not accessible, has a pump problem, crazy fuel prices, ect you can just move on to the next one.

2. Is a peace of mind if you have an emergency of some kind.

3. I know this is all in my head, but filling up 1/2 a tank always feels more wallet friendly then a full tank.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
We buy the truckers atlas at a truck stop every year. It shows all the roads that are trucker routes. It helps a lot. Has low Clearances listed for each state and where they are.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #12

My Voltage is 41' long and rarely do we any problems maneuvering it. Been in some pretty tight places, too. The trailer handles so well on the road that my wife also drives it.

When I'm planning a route I stick to Interstates and US routes. Google Maps is very good at picking routes but I double check the route with the Motor Carriers Atlas. If the 18 wheeler's can use the road then so can I.

I never fuel the truck with the trailer attached. I have an additional 91 gallon tank in the bed and can go over 1,000 towing miles without having to fuel up. I will drop the trailer at the camp site and then go for fuel.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
My Voltage is 41' long and rarely do we any problems maneuvering it. Been in some pretty tight places, too. The trailer handles so well on the road that my wife also drives it.

When I'm planning a route I stick to Interstates and US routes. Google Maps is very good at picking routes but I double check the route with the Motor Carriers Atlas. If the 18 wheeler's can use the road then so can I.

I never fuel the truck with the trailer attached. I have an additional 91 gallon tank in the bed and can go over 1,000 towing miles without having to fuel up. I will drop the trailer at the camp site and then go for fuel.
Agree. Have you a extra fuel tank. I carry a 60 gal. tank along with my 34 gal. truck tank. I always park the rv then ask the camp ground workers where the best prices are in town for diesel. This is less hassel because it is sometimes a problem to pull your 5th wheel under a awning unless you use a truckstop. My 5th wheel is 13' 5'' and is to tall for many of the service stations.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
We buy the truckers atlas at a truck stop every year. It shows all the roads that are trucker routes. It helps a lot. Has low Clearances listed for each state and where they are.
Good tips.
"Motor Carriers Atlas" shows commercial vehicle routes & restrictions.
"Next Exit" lists what's at every interstate exit.
Both are cheap on Amazon, won't let you down when digital gizmo's take a dump.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice