Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #1

Speed limits

On a roll this week (pardon the pun) with a couple of different threads. This one is about speed limits.

We just took a trip from Bend, OR to Yellowstone. Involved four states: OR, ID, MT & WY with various speed limits. Generally I keep my speeds on major highways at 65 max, obviously less if it is a 55 speed limit. Then I get to ID with 80 MPH limits, even for semis in some areas. At least these are two lanes so I just let them pass me on the left (like I’m not even moving in some cases )

My question has to do with two lane highways (one each direction). An example is between Burns and Bend. It is a 70 MPH limit so cars and trucks generally will be going 70-80 (lots of long straight stretches with literally no passing lanes - just “pass with care” areas). Going 65 I am obviously holding things up. By the time we were getting closer to Bend on the way back I had a pretty long line of vehicles behind me. Torn between feeling a bit guilty but not willing to drive faster then my comfort level allows.

Any thoughts on this. Personal experiences?

On another note, I also didn’t take into account when Mapquest estimates driving times it considers speed limits. I was surprised how much longer it took to get from Bend to Mountain Home, ID (our midway stop) since much of ID is 80 mpr. I try to keep it at 4-5 hours driving time each day and it was closer to 7 1/2. Live & learn.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #2

Some states have a rule, (not sure if it's an actual law) that if a certain number of vehicles stack up behind you then you are supposed to pull over when safe and let them by. In Arizona it used to be 3 vehicles but maybe that has changed with the crowded highways we have today. We do have some curvy mountain roads with signs that read "slower traffic must use turnouts" but people largely ignore them.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #3

Yeah, I kept looking for a turnout but don’t recall there being any. I’m not one to try & control traffic and would have loved to move over and let everyone go by.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Community Moderator

You sound like a cautious driver and courteous enough to pull over when there is a safe turnout (ideally paved and espeacially no soft shoulder)..............I am in the same camp.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
On a roll this week (pardon the pun) with a couple of different threads. This one is about speed limits.

We just took a trip from Bend, OR to Yellowstone. Involved four states: OR, ID, MT & WY with various speed limits. Generally I keep my speeds on major highways at 65 max, obviously less if it is a 55 speed limit. Then I get to ID with 80 MPH limits, even for semis in some areas. At least these are two lanes so I just let them pass me on the left (like I’m not even moving in some cases )

My question has to do with two lane highways (one each direction). An example is between Burns and Bend. It is a 70 MPH limit so cars and trucks generally will be going 70-80 (lots of long straight stretches with literally no passing lanes - just “pass with care” areas). Going 65 I am obviously holding things up. By the time we were getting closer to Bend on the way back I had a pretty long line of vehicles behind me. Torn between feeling a bit guilty but not willing to drive faster then my comfort level allows.

Any thoughts on this. Personal experiences?

On another note, I also didn’t take into account when Mapquest estimates driving times it considers speed limits. I was surprised how much longer it took to get from Bend to Mountain Home, ID (our midway stop) since much of ID is 80 mpr. I try to keep it at 4-5 hours driving time each day and it was closer to 7 1/2. Live & learn.
I'm like you in that I try my best to stay out of the way of other drivers. I don't like traveling faster than 65 mph either so I understand where you are coming from.

Texas has a lot of two lane roads with 70 and 75 mph limits so I end up in the same situation at times. Speeding up isn't the way to go because I know that the higher speed would only make it harder for vehicles to pass. I rarely go over 65.

Most vehicles find a section to pass but it seems there is always that one who is scared to give it the gas. Get too many of these and the line ends up too long for anyone to pass. They'll stay on your tail for miles if you don't do something. To help, I usually move as far right as possible, sometimes with wheels on the shoulder, when a passing zone presents itself. This lets the vehicles behind get a good view of what's ahead. There are times when I move the whole rig onto the shoulder (not legal in Texas but is a common practice) and then slow a bit to let vehicles pass. They'll be stuck at 65 mph if they still refuse to pass.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #6

My max is also 65, and I have pulled over to let the line pass, then have to wait a long time for a break in the constant traffic afterwards.
In a segway, two times in Texas last March, I was on a 2 lane highway with a speed limit of 70, I was going 65, towing the fifth wheel. Light traffic, plenty of straight sections for easy passing. The first time we were going from El Paso to Carlsbad Caverns. Suddenly, I was startled by someone passing me....on the right! Getting sprayed with gravel, I was WTF! No oncoming traffic. The second time was in another part of the state. Is this a thing now?
JK
Old 09-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #7

2 lane roads with speed limit higher then 65 mph which is what I travel at then vehicles can pass me in those 'passing zones'

I will pull to the right allowing them to see around me and pass if they choose. If not, they can follow me at 65 mph
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #8

Drive the speed you feel confortable at as long as it respects minimum speeds (40MPH or so here) . Stay in the right lane and they can pass you when it's safe. If you feel stressed because some people in a hurry are riding your bumper, then take an exit, or pullout to let them pass. Usually a well designed highway system will allow you to re-enter the highway just by crossing the street again.

FWIW many states have non posted speeds for vehicles in tow that are much lower than what you posted. For example, California limits it to 55 MPH, even on an interstate with a 65MPH limit.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I drive normally at about 63-65 or what I feel comfortable with road conditions. I try not to exceed the speed limit. If there are hills I will take advantage of the down hill to build up some speed and chug up the next hill. I normal don't exceed 73 on down hills.

On two lanes, if I get a buildup of cars behind me and see a nice pull off. I pull over and let them pass. It's not often I do this because there are not many nice pull offs. My last trip I drove for about 400 miles on two lanes and pulled over three times to let the pack pass.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:30 AM   #10

+1 on 65 mph max speed.

If I see I'm pulling a train on a two-lane highway, first option is to pull over if it's safe.

If the situation allows and I come to a stretch of road that is safe to pass, I'll flash my lights and slow down to 45-50 mph.
Most people take the hint and can easily overtake me at 65-70 mph and don't have to race by at 80+.

I usually only try this maneuver once, maybe twice.
If they can't figure out what I'm trying to do it creates an unsafe situation to keep slowing down and speeding up.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You aren't holding things up. You have as much right to be on that road as anyone. Everyone appreciates the courtesy of a slow moving vehicle getting out of the way, but if there aren't any opportunities, then there's no reason to feel like you have to do something extraordinary to get out of other people's way. This used to add a lot of stress to my driving. I always wanted to be courteous, but there's a lot of times you can't. Most other drivers will understand, but we do face the occasional hot head who feels like they are somehow owed the road. Don't let it get to you. Enjoy the journey.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:47 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I am always aware of this and try to pull over if possible to let faster traffic go by. However when driving 65 mph on a two-lane road, you need some distance to slow down and pull into a pull-off area. Often you can't see these spots in time you utilize them. An open spot by the side of the road appears too late to stop safely without slamming on the brakes.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #13

Well 70 on two lane roads is a push, I guess the Governor John K. era is long past in Oregon nothing more than 55!
I will say yes, I like 65 as a towing speed,seems to be the sweet spot for speed/mileage. I have traveled at 70 and was comfortable. There will always be those that feel the need for speed, and will hopefully safely pass you.
On another note, The other is speeding past you in a passing zone then slow to 5mph less than you were traveling before!
The last is someone traveling 5 to 10 below the speed limit, and when a passing lane comes up they speed up to at least 5 over, then slow back to the 5 to 10 under once it ends!
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
The last is someone traveling 5 to 10 below the speed limit, and when a passing lane comes up they speed up to at least 5 over, then slow back to the 5 to 10 under once it ends!
I’m usually pretty chill while driving, but this one infuriates. Me. I followed a tour bus from Gunnison to Pueblo for hours. They couldn’t stay over 20-ish in the curves, but would gun it in the straights leaving me no opportunity to pass.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote