Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

Spring size

We just pulled my fuzion 385 from pittsburgh to myrtle. Before we loaded up i noticed that the passenger side (kitchen slide with fridge) was sitting pretty low. Fast worward to setting up in myrtle, i noticed that my tires had hit my floor while driving. No real damage, just some torn plastic from what i can tell. Ive checked everything out underneath (springs, shackles, equalizer setup) and i think ive just got flattened sagging springs. Ive been on the phone with napa and tried calling several dealerships and no one can tell me what length springs are supposed to be under this thing! Width and leaves in the pack are easy, but the length is going to change depending on how much arch the spring has. Anyone know offhand whos replaced springs what the length is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully i can get this straightened out before leg 2 of the trip.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
We just pulled my fuzion 385 from pittsburgh to myrtle. Before we loaded up i noticed that the passenger side (kitchen slide with fridge) was sitting pretty low. Fast worward to setting up in myrtle, i noticed that my tires had hit my floor while driving. No real damage, just some torn plastic from what i can tell. Ive checked everything out underneath (springs, shackles, equalizer setup) and i think ive just got flattened sagging springs. Ive been on the phone with napa and tried calling several dealerships and no one can tell me what length springs are supposed to be under this thing! Width and leaves in the pack are easy, but the length is going to change depending on how much arch the spring has. Anyone know offhand whos replaced springs what the length is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully i can get this straightened out before leg 2 of the trip.
I’d call a US made trailer axle supplier. They should be able to match dimensions and maybe improve load handling over stock.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I’d call a US made trailer axle supplier. They should be able to match dimensions and maybe improve load handling over stock.
That is indeed the plan, but everyone ive called wants an eye to eye length and thats the number im trying to figure out. The more arch the spring has the shorter the eye to eye length will be.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Might need to jack it up a little and pull the rear shackle loose .......can you compare to the other side?.....with it sitting as is...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Might need to jack it up a little and pull the rear shackle loose .......can you compare to the other side?.....with it sitting as is...
That side is currently off the ground now that were level and the driver side is up but not off the ground. Its measuring just under 25" eye to eye. Etrailer shows a 24.75" spring, and ive seen a 25.25 spring other places.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’d remove one shackle as suggested and relive any load on it and measure that. Then maybe contact Dexter and see what they say.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I’d remove one shackle as suggested and relive any load on it and measure that. Then maybe contact Dexter and see what they say.
Ill give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...e_Springs.aspx

Thats what etrailer stocks for a 7000lb axle and measures about right.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #8

If you are loading to near max I would consider going up one size, and always replace in pairs. I have talked to Lippert before about this, and they its ok.

https://www.dyersonline.com/lippert-...af-spring.html
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

Builders are notorious for building minimum spec.

After about 5 years with my dry weight 11,500lb Alpenlite I upped all of my spring packs from a 6 to a 7 stack. Full replacement not just adding a leaf. As a extended trip traveller I carry more than the weekend warrior but maybe not as much as the fulltimer. Having the extra leaf gives confidence that nothing will collapse.

For spring sizes there are charts. I think the measurement is taken at no load. Easy enough to do. Lift by the frame till the wheel is almost off the ground.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #10

Did that extra leaf and extra capacity add much height vs stock? Thats definately something im considering. Ive got 3 spring manufacturers im going to talk to monday when i get up. That lippert diagram is perfect, thank you. At this point im planning on doing all 4 with heavier springs. I know the axles arent overloaded, i just scaled loaded similarly a few weeks ago.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #11

The extra leaf made no discernible height difference. The only concern was making the ride too stiff. No difference there either. Things that moved before still move.

The only thing left on my running gear upgrade bucket list is to put heavier spring hangers on. I have already had the spring hanger area of the frame greatly reinforced.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #12

As long as you are changing out the springs I would also put in new bronze bushings in the eyes and new wet bolts. Easy time to do since the thing is all apart already.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

Your best bet is to go up one axle size, complete set up

If you plan on keeping the unit this is the way to go

Most trailers come with marginal springs/axles not intended to be loaded very heavy
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Your best bet is to go up one axle size, complete set up

If you plan on keeping the unit this is the way to go

Most trailers come with marginal springs/axles not intended to be loaded very heavy
Ive got 7000lb axles under the trailer now and ive got a couple thousand pounds to go before i hit my axle ratings. For the situation (being on the road with the family staying in a cg) it just doesnt justify the expense and the hassle to replace good parts just for the sake of doing it. It will definately be something i look at down the road if/when any axle parts need replaced, but right now isnt the time to get into all that.