Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

Question SRW or DRW for 11,000# 5er?

Hey all, looks like I will be purchasing a used diesel truck in the next fews days or so. I want it to tow a 35' 11,000# (dry weight) fifth wheel (14,000# max) and am a bit undecided on which I should get for a TV.

Thus far my shortlist is going to be a F350 SRW or DRW. I've found an 2010 SRW F350 with about 120k miles and a 2008 DRW F350 with 105k miles for about the same price (within $1000 of each other). So pretty much all things as far as price and mileage, which would you get to tow this fiver?

My thoughts are that the SRW will be easier for daily driving/city driving duties and get better mileage as well be a bit lower maintenance cost. On the other hand I know the DRW will give me much more stability with wind gusts, less stress on curvy mountain roads as well as less stress overall in terms of stability and capacity.

But for a lighter, smaller fifth wheel is a DRW even necessary or is it overkill?

Any suggestions much appreciated!
dieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #2

I'd rather have too much than not enough
diesel2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Also, both are 4x2, crew cabs.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

You need a semi!!! Just kidding. I would say go big in case you get a bigger trailer in the future.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Forget the dry weight numbers of the 5er....no one goes camping with nothing in the trailer. Instead, look at the GVWR...14,000 lb. Recommended pin weight on a 5er is 20 to 25% of the trailer, so you are looking at 2800 minimum to almost 3500 lbs of pin weight. Now what you need to do is check the yellow sticker on the driver's side door post and see what your payload or Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of the truck(s) are. That will tell you the payload capacity of the truck when it left the factory. Then you need to know what else has been added onto the truck since then....airbags, 5th wheel hitch, toolbox in the bed,....andything and everything that has been added since the truck was made. All of that "stuff", takes away from the payload capacity of the truck. Better yet, if you can, rund the truck across a CAT scale and get the "now" weight of the truck and subtract that number from the GVWR on the door sticker(s). That will give you a good idea of what you have to work with as far as remaining payload.

Example:
GVWR of the SRW.....11,500 lb
Truck actual weight...8850
Payload available....2650
This truck ^^^^ will not work as your pin weight will be over the available payload

Since you didn't mention near enough detail about the two trucks you are looking ...4x2? 4x4? Regular Cab? SuperCab? CrewCab? 6 3/4' bed? 8' bed? All of that stuff will determine the GVWR of the truck.

Here is a link to Ford's website that will give you pretty much all of that info for the 2008 truck...
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...0-450_08bb.pdf

The bottom line is whatever truck you end up with, it should NEVER exceed the GVWR of the truck when loaded and towing, the front and rear GAWR, the CCC, the combined towing number for both the truck and the trailer....none of it. Hope this helps a bit.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Depending on condition I'd go the 10 SRW. Newer fresher/more comfortable interior prolly better controls an newer features. I wouldn't worry about pulling that 5'er with it at all. Mines a 35 foot toy hauler fifth 12k dry 15k max loaded that I pull with a 2500HD Silverado 8.1L with no issues thus far at all. Stability is great, and unless your passing a big rig an your doing 65+ wind sway is basically nil I mean you'll get your times but really not an issue.
cj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Once you tow with a dually, a SRW will never do. 08 & 10 are the same basic truck, while the 6.4 is a beast it does have some issues with the EGR and Regen system. Do you research on service history closely.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Forget the dry weight numbers of the 5er....no one goes camping with nothing in the trailer. Instead, look at the GVWR...14,000 lb. Recommended pin weight on a 5er is 20 to 25% of the trailer, so you are looking at 2800 minimum to almost 3500 lbs of pin weight. Now what you need to do is check the yellow sticker on the driver's side door post and see what your payload or Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of the truck(s) are. That will tell you the payload capacity of the truck when it left the factory. Then you need to know what else has been added onto the truck since then....airbags, 5th wheel hitch, toolbox in the bed,....andything and everything that has been added since the truck was made. All of that "stuff", takes away from the payload capacity of the truck. Better yet, if you can, rund the truck across a CAT scale and get the "now" weight of the truck and subtract that number from the GVWR on the door sticker(s). That will give you a good idea of what you have to work with as far as remaining payload.

Example:
GVWR of the SRW.....11,500 lb
Truck actual weight...8850
Payload available....2650
This truck ^^^^ will not work as your pin weight will be over the available payload

Since you didn't mention near enough detail about the two trucks you are looking ...4x2? 4x4? Regular Cab? SuperCab? CrewCab? 6 3/4' bed? 8' bed? All of that stuff will determine the GVWR of the truck.

Here is a link to Ford's website that will give you pretty much all of that info for the 2008 truck...
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...0-450_08bb.pdf

The bottom line is whatever truck you end up with, it should NEVER exceed the GVWR of the truck when loaded and towing, the front and rear GAWR, the CCC, the combined towing number for both the truck and the trailer....none of it. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the reply, they are both 4x2, crew cabs. I've only seen pics at this point but it looks as they they both have the full 8' bed. I'll take a look at the link you sent.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj74 View Post
Depending on condition I'd go the 10 SRW. Newer fresher/more comfortable interior prolly better controls an newer features. I wouldn't worry about pulling that 5'er with it at all. Mines a 35 foot toy hauler fifth 12k dry 15k max loaded that I pull with a 2500HD Silverado 8.1L with no issues thus far at all. Stability is great, and unless your passing a big rig an your doing 65+ wind sway is basically nil I mean you'll get your times but really not an issue.
The interiors are identical, both are more basic (non Larriat or King Ranch), same consoles, pw, a/c basic stuff. I read somewhere that the F350s have a better braking system and slightly upgraded suspension for higher towing capacities (than F250s) so either way it will be an F350. My initial thoughts are that both will handle the tongue weight (1990#) without a problem.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Once you tow with a dually, a SRW will never do. 08 & 10 are the same basic truck, while the 6.4 is a beast it does have some issues with the EGR and Regen system. Do you research on service history closely.
will do, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

First of all have a hard look at Ford diesels .Go to Powers stroke.com . This is a site totally devoted to those Ford Diesels .
As to SRW versus DRW as you said remember that the truck will used as a daily drive so way easier around town and cheaper on gas .JMHO
M
michael huot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael huot View Post
First of all have a hard look at Ford diesels .Go to Powers stroke.com . This is a site totally devoted to those Ford Diesels .
As to SRW versus DRW as you said remember that the truck will used as a daily drive so way easier around town and cheaper on gas .JMHO
M

I've found as I grow older there is a compromise to almost everything. I'm leaning towards the SRW from the things you mentioned and because it's not that big of a rig, I really don't want anything bigger than 35-36'.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #13

go to diesel brothers and have them make the biggest tow vehicle they can or bigger.
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #14

My 2009 Chevy 2500 Duramax pulled our 14,000 5th wheel with ease.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote