Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #43

Having just brought home my 42' 5er with my DRW I have no regrets choosing DRW over SRW. I barely knew anything was behind me the entire ride home. Can't wait to take it out again in a few weeks.
wheelestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
You left out a few types...

The ones that have have no experience so make decisions based on an anonymous Internet forum.

The ones who safely use a smaller truck than the anonymous Internet forums tell them to.

I have towed many miles with SRW and DRW trucks. I bought my current truck 6 years ago to tow the race car trailer. It just so happens that after selling the DP and getting the 42' fiver that it can also safely tow it. Now that I have the 42' fiver, when it comes time to replace my truck I will replace it with a dually (actually thinking a MDT) but I will not rush out to replace a perfectly good truck just based on Internet opinions.
One of my biggest concerns is the newbie who listens to the "I've been towing for 30 years a big TT with my half ton and never had a problem". While generalizing I wonder if the 'never had a problem' has discounted near misses?

I understand completely your truck may be perfectly good. All of us make decisions based on personal values and situations. Unlike the trucking industry RV'ers are not checked for compliance to standards unless grossly apparent. This is an overstatement as I am aware of several jurisdictions that routinely will run light trucks pulling trailers over scales.

All/most of the opinions published on SWR and DWR on this forum is likely anecdotal. But there are some truisms that go beyond the opinion standard:
- More power is always better when towing.
- A larger tow vehicle will always be better than a tow vehicle that is at its max or slightly overloaded.
- New tires are better than aged (how old is the only debate) tires.

I liken the topic to insurance. There are those who buy the minimum insurance and those who buy added coverage. Both hope they do not use it but which would you prefer if/when something happens? How many do not have added fire and theft on the rig?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
One of my biggest concerns is the newbie who listens to the "I've been towing for 30 years a big TT with my half ton and never had a problem". While generalizing I wonder if the 'never had a problem' has discounted near misses?

I understand completely your truck may be perfectly good. All of us make decisions based on personal values and situations. Unlike the trucking industry RV'ers are not checked for compliance to standards unless grossly apparent. This is an overstatement as I am aware of several jurisdictions that routinely will run light trucks pulling trailers over scales.

All/most of the opinions published on SWR and DWR on this forum is likely anecdotal. But there are some truisms that go beyond the opinion standard:
- A larger tow vehicle will always be better than a tow vehicle that is at its max or slightly overloaded.

I liken the topic to insurance. There are those who buy the minimum insurance and those who buy added coverage. Both hope they do not use it but which would you prefer if/when something happens? How many do not have added fire and theft on the rig?

Well put!
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #46

Don't forget to learn about the various transmissions and rear end gearing options. I bought a nice 2014 Ram 3500 for my horses...no problem. But I was ignorant about the tranny/gearing....the model I bought has the standard transmission and geared at 3.73. Wish I had known and I would have opted for something with the AISN tranny and the 4.10 gearing. Big difference. I'm still within towing specs having GCWR of 27K...safe on the axels and PW....GVWR is ok at 14K. Would have like the extra margin in towing capacity and GCWR though.

Still looking for the right RV to put behind it. In the running are:
2016 AF 32-5Z (a bit above my budget)
2016 AF 32A
2016/17 ORV Blackstone 270RKSD
2017 AF 28F (wife likes the rear bath and lots of storage)
2017 AF 29L (Like the east/west bed)
2013 AF 27-5L
2011 StarCraft Lexion 325FWSA (nice...but not much info or reviews)

The only one with a GVW that is close to being within 1000 lbs of my available towing capacity based on what will be in the truck is the 32-5Z. Truck GCWR 27000 less TV weight of about 9300 leaves 17,700 lbs.....the 32-5Z GVWR is 16,500.

Greg
AB7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #47

Quote:

That is well stated. A dually is always a superior tow vehicle, but not always the required tow vehicle. Buy what fits your needs and application, or buy bigger if it fits your needs.

Just make sure it has an 8' bed! LOL.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #48

Quote:
I have towed many miles with SRW and DRW trucks. I bought my current truck 6 years ago to tow the race car trailer. It just so happens that after selling the DP and getting the 42' fiver that it can also safely tow it. Now that I have the 42' fiver, when it comes time to replace my truck I will replace it with a dually (actually thinking a MDT) but I will not rush out to replace a perfectly good truck just based on Internet opinions.
I've made a living towing heavy equipment/flatdeck/enclosed/stock trailers with both. I own both. I use both.
I've found the DRW is not superior over the SRW for all applications pulling heavy trailers. It simply is a matter of how much load the truck needs to carry.

I've seen internet opinions on proper size truck for the job all over the spectrum especially on this forum.

I'm of the opinion the person , including newbies, asking for help should have all the specs for how much load the truck can safely carry and how much tow capacity the truck can safely handle. Its up to the owner/operator to decide how much trailer he wants to tow. ....not me.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #49

I've always heard a DRW are much worse in snow, ice, mud and sand. I don't know, but its what I've heard.
Since better stability of DRW is frequently pointed out when towing a 5th wheel, is a TT with its sway issues even more unstable than a 5th wheel which doesn't seem to have the sway issues? If that's the case, wouldn't DRW be at least as important for towing a large TT?
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfb View Post
That trailer does require a dually. We own a 38 foot fiver towing with a srw mega cab. 3500,,AISIN, 3:42s, rear air suspension,..... Over gvwr of truck by 250 lbs. and over gross rear axle by 100 lbs..
Truck pulls Montana like a dream even in windy conditions. Mpg is 10.5 to 12.3 but mostly in the mid 11s. Tow in 4 or 5th gear....a drw would eliminate the over weight issues..When it's time for tires, I'll smile
Now here is a great example of a person in denial. Admits he is both overweight and over gross, but the old "tows like a dream". He has a high output engine, a great transmission but has to tow in 4th or 5th because it has too high of gear set. 3:42 is a gear for fuel economy, not towing. That is why we have 3.73/4.10 gears available for DRW trucks.

For a extra $1200 (sticker price) he could have gotten a DRW with a gear ratio suited for towing. Instead got a HO engine, a $2500 transmission with the "go to the grocery store gears". Plus he is overweight and over gross.

O'well, I like my DRW, 3.73, got a tow rating of 22+K and my 14,5K trailer just tags along in 6th gear.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Now here is a great example of a person in denial. Admits he is both overweight and over gross, but the old "tows like a dream".
Didn't sound like denial to me. He stated how much over the weight ratings and went on to state that despite it, his truck tows like a dream (meaning he is happy).

Quote:
For a extra $1200 (sticker price) he could have gotten a DRW with a gear ratio suited for towing.

Easy enough if you are buying a truck right now. Not quite that cheap if you have a truck that is already meeting your needs. I'm sure he would pay the $1200 delta if everyone else that is so concerned with his setup would pay the remaining portion of the real delta. That could be far greater then the $1200 you mention.

Happy motoring!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #52

SRW or DRW......one last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
I've found the DRW is not superior over the SRW for all applications pulling heavy trailers. It simply is a matter of how much load the truck needs to carry
I agree. I generalized in my previous comment, but you are correct!

Quote:
Its up to the owner/operator to decide how much trailer he wants to tow. ....not me.

Winner!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
I have often wondered if the owners who knowingly load their tow vehicle to the max or slightly over only purchase the minimum insurance mandated by regulations?

Do any add the extra coverage of fire and theft to the package?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #54

Quote:
I have often wondered if the owners who knowingly load their tow vehicle to the max or slightly over only purchase the minimum insurance mandated by regulations?

Do any add the extra coverage of fire and theft to the package?

I'm fully insured. Thanks for the concern.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #55

Newer. SRW have much stronger steel in the frames.
I pull a 14000k loaded trailer for the past 18000 miles cross winds no wind other then having to turn steering wheel into a 30-40 mph crosswind just like everyone else that day it was no big deal ! Bigger trailers need DRWs
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #56

Just logged in and not sure if you already purchased or not. They DRW is a no brainer but my question would be why not the long bed? Like all the others have said there is no comparison. Whenever you do what you do, please post. On my purchase, the best thing I did is by the extra fuel tank and disc brakes. Everyone has an opinion. Good luck in whatever you buy. Dave