Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #29

Just to add what has been said already the OP just needs to get a DMV employee that is more knowledgeable about this. When I bought my F-350 either the dealer or their DMV office registered it wrong. I didn't know for the first year, until someone pointed out that if I'm not using it for a business I should get non commercial plates. So when I needed to renew for the next year registration I ask my local DMV to change it and they did it with no hassle. I did have to pay a fee to get the paperwork updated but it wasn't more than $20. I don't know if my first plate required a DOT sticker or not, but I never had one that year because nobody told me what the correct practice was when owning a 1 ton truck for personal use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	272347  
PSD Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #30

And once you have the DOT number, you will have to stop at the weigh stations. PITA that.
2Yung2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #31

When I bought my Duramax, I was able to get Non commercial plates for the first 2 years.
Year 3, had to get e-check, but Ohio won't e-check a truck with a gvw over 9,999 lbs. Anything weighing more than that is considered commercial. So now, commercial plates, and the fees that go with it.
At least my insurance agent is on board and my rates haven't changed.
By the way, only 7 out of 88 counties in Ohio have emissions testing. Lucky me.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
When I bought my Duramax, I was able to get Non commercial plates for the first 2 years.
Year 3, had to get e-check, but Ohio won't e-check a truck with a gvw over 9,999 lbs. Anything weighing more than that is considered commercial. So now, commercial plates, and the fees that go with it.
At least my insurance agent is on board and my rates haven't changed.
By the way, only 7 out of 88 counties in Ohio have emissions testing. Lucky me.
Still shouldn't need a DOT number though, unless being used in furtherance of a business.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
State DMV and DOT #

I have read through all the posts reference this subject. richard5933 is accurate in all of his assessments. PSDAndy displayed a "Y" plate. It sounds to me that the OP was registered into a commercial class and then is required to have DOT#. The correct class he wants to be registered in is the "Y" plate class there is no requirement for a DOT# in the "Y" class if it is private use. It cannot be registered into any sort of company name. If done, then it will be required to be registered as a commercial vehicle. I recommend he return to a different Deputy Registrar or go straight to DVS main office at 445 Minnesota St. St Paul. He should take all registration paperwork including the DOT#, the license plates, and all pertinent truck info that he has. Good luck

MN Ret Smokey
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #34

Some bad info here.

1. Just because he got a number does not mean he HAS to display it on this truck. The truck isn't being used for commercial purposes. USDOT numbers are not attached to a VIN number. They are attached to the business.

2. Very simple to go back on the FMCSA website portal and deactivate the USDOT number that he has.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
Some bad info here.

1. Just because he got a number does not mean he HAS to display it on this truck. The truck isn't being used for commercial purposes. USDOT numbers are not attached to a VIN number. They are attached to the business.

2. Very simple to go back on the FMCSA website portal and deactivate the USDOT number that he has.

This is correct. Several years ago I was a manager of trucking company. Individuals can be a company. DOT numbers are assigned to companies. Not all vehicles in the company have to display the numbers. Only the vehicles involved in interstate or intrastate commerce.
david2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #36

Hi
Mn. resident too. When I purchased my 3500 HD it was registered as a 12,000lb.
non commercial truck. Y plates were only $150 a year. Cheep compared to the cost if it was registered as a standard truck. I do have to sent a letter with my renewal by mail, stating it is a non commercial vehicle.
DonAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #37

Just register it at 10,000#. How many RVs do you know that have been stopped and weighed?
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
I remain confused. Thanks for the sample of the DMV form. Yes, that seems to make it pretty clear. And it was both a clerk and his supervisor that was dealing with me on the third trip to the counter. Wish I had had that form with me to show them.

They insisted that if the GVW is 14K then it had to be assigned a USDOT #, else it could only be classed to haul less than 10K. And my RV is weighted in at > 16K unloaded. Seems to be a conflict.

Agreed that the USDOT is intended for commercial only.

Now that I have had a DOT # assigned; wondering what to do next - pretending ignorance is so easy for me.
I have found that going to another Mn DMV is often in my best interest. With what you have been told they obviously don't know the laws and rules on the books well enough to take your money. Try starting fresh at another office.

I bought my 3/4 ton Ram (also in Mn) then found out that if I had stepped up to the 1 ton my annual plates would have been $450/year less!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
DOT numbers are only for interstate commerce. If it is for personal use only, no DOT number is required. You do not want to be driving around with a DOT number as you then open yourself up to needing to keep a log book etc.etc.etc.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
I am quite confused and I am certain our resident experts have an answer to my question.

I just upgraded my hauler to a newer RAM 3500 dually with a GVW of 14K lbs.
The DMV needs a DOT# before they will register it that way. Or they only give me plates for a 10K lbs vehicle.

Does the fact that I am towing an RV with a loaded weight of about 18K lbs factor into any of this?

Does the 14K capacity have an impact on my state plates for the hauler?

No, I am not engaged in any intra- or inter-state commerce. I am simply a RV enjoying this lifestyle in a larger than "normal" size.

When I was talking to the compliance officer about the DOT #, he had gone through all of the statutory details for a commercial vehicle. When I stopped him and started to describe my problem, he quickly interrupted me and shared, "Ahhh, you are one of those RAM 3500 or F-350 owners that can't get their state DMV plates without a DOT #! Well, you have your DOT # now that you have applied, go back, give them this number and satisfy that step."
Then he went on and shared there might be other ramifications.

Bottom line, heavy hauler colleagues/peers: What are you doing? Are you underclassing your DMV plates? or getting that DOT #.

Then what other steps are you taking?

Hope my question makes sense so that I might hear back from you.
This is pretty simple:
Wether your state makes you post "Not for Hire" on your TV is really what you need to find out. Don't think you'll register your TV as a commercial truck.

But what comes into play is a CDL...
When you pass 26,001 LBS GVWR You Must Have A CDL...
Take the TV and the FW GVWR, add them together and your way over the 26,001 LB rule.

That's why most folks tow with a 3/4 ton truck to get under that 26,001 LB Rule.
Officer already knows the GVWR of your truck like the backside of His or Her Hand.
What their not 100% sure of is, the GVWR of your FW or TT. Don't worry they'll get that information as they pass by your trailer on their way to your TV Window.

Pretty sure they can do math in their head pretty quickly and if the TV&FW or TT GVWR exceeds that 26,001 LB rule and you don't have a CDL, It's Ticket time.

Keep in mind if they find you to be without CDL, You'll have to get someone with a CDL to drive your rig for you. But most likely they'll call for a tow truck and haul your rig away.
Some make you stop at the next weight station and park your rig until you can get things figured out.

Super easy to get a CDL. Just ask for a CDL Without Airbrake Endorsement. That way you can just take your driving test with your TV&FW.

Here is what the DOT CDL Handbook says:

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
5 LB Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 LB Bass View Post
...But what comes into play is a CDL...
When you pass 26,001 LBS GVWR You Must Have A CDL...
Take the TV and the FW GVWR, add them together and your way over the 26,001 LB rule....
This varies depending on the state - some have an exemption for RVs, some don't.

But, like you said the CDL question is totally separate from the vehicle registration issue and/or DOT number question.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #42

Individual Plates

Agree that you need to check your states DMV website. I would think the truck is licensed taking into consideration only the truck.

Then the 5th wheel, only as the 5th wheel. Not the 2 combined as they are not permanently attached.
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote