Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Storing a Fiver

When I get back from a trip and put the unit in its garage, I always use auto level. Now that it is close to winter, was wondering if you level, of just leave the landing gear down only.

Second unrelated question I'm going to use compressed air 30 psi to blow out the water lines from the city water connection. Logic says that the air pressure should empty my water heater, I'll open the valve to check, but am I correct on that assumption?

Last year, with another unit, I used antifreeze in the lines, but I really see no value in doing that, especially if I'm going to using the unit a couple times during the winter.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

I have heard of people that have blown out line still freezing.i would honestly wouldn't chance it and just put in antifreeze.i don't level mine in storage to keep the legs covered from rusting.
diesel2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

Fulltimers put all jacks down at all times, that answers your 1st question. Hydraulic rams are chrome plated and should never rust.
I would definitely pull the anode rod from the hot water tank if it's a Suburban and flush the c..p out of it. Blowing air through the system at low pressure is being done by a lot of folks, just be sure to put a cup full antifreeze in all the p-traps and the toilet bowl, make sure there is no water in the pump, open the low point drains and leave all taps open, don't forget the outside shower and black tank flush.
But, how much is a jug or 2 of plumbing antifreeze plus your trailer is set up to make winterizing a breeze. You can actually catch some of the AF when you dewinterize and reuse it by using air instead of water to push it out of the plumbing.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

When I had to store my 5er in MI. I just put down the front jacks. I pulled the anode rod from the water heater. Throw the bypass valves and then use air to blow out the lines. The first time I did this the water pump froze. After that I blew the lines and then used anti freeze. 2 gallons of antifreeze is much cheaper than a new pump. Just my opinion but don't go cheap. Coming back to bite you just once is not worth it. Good luck I became a full timer and go to TX when it gets cold.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
When I had to store my 5er in MI. I just put down the front jacks. I pulled the anode rod from the water heater. Throw the bypass valves and then use air to blow out the lines. The first time I did this the water pump froze. After that I blew the lines and then used anti freeze. 2 gallons of antifreeze is much cheaper than a new pump. Just my opinion but don't go cheap. Coming back to bite you just once is not worth it. Good luck I became a full timer and go to TX when it gets cold.

Brad
I guess you are right. Was concerned that the valves would be confusing, but looked at it today. Pretty simple. Guess I'll get the pink stuff. LOL
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM   #6

In my previous rv (2) I used air to flush out the water and never had a problem. Antifreeze in traps and toilet and holding tanks. Now I have a 5er with a washer/dryer I wonder if air will flush it? I guess I'll open the water lines and the air should work but what about the water pump in the washer ( is there one) if there is one how would I blow the water out? Any thoughts?
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
When we had our 5-r, we stored with jacks down just enough to take some of the weight off the tires. For the cheap price of a few gallons of antifreeze, why take the chance?

As to the prior question about the washer, you'll be able to blow the water out of the incoming lines, but air won't blow the water out of the pump or the outgoing lines. You will have to get antifreeze in the pump by putting a couple cups of the pink stuff in the drum then set it on spin/drain to carry that stuff through the outgoing lines.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I guess you are right. Was concerned that the valves would be confusing, but looked at it today. Pretty simple. Guess I'll get the pink stuff. LOL
Just be sure to flip the valves because there is no need to put anti freeze in the water heater.

I never thought about a washer because I never had one before full timing. I actually have no idea what to do for that. Better call service and ask.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

We bypass and drain water heater. Blow out lines and open low point drains. Pump RV antifreeze into system, run each faucet and toilet until you see pink. This will also assure that the traps get the antifreeze. Also start washing machine until pink stuff is in machine, then go to spin cycle to pump the antifreeze out. Doing this will get the antifreeze into the pump. It's not necessary to allow machine to go full cycle (you would use a lot of antifreeze), just until you get some pink into the tub. Though, when you do all of this, you will have used several gallons of antifreeze.
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in Santa Fe, NM and winters can get cold, negative sometimes. Since we use the RV several times in the freezing season, Oct. to mid May, I winterize and de-winterize multiple times a year.

I open the low level drains to drain what ever I can and fill all lines and p-traps with RV antifreeze as others have explained above. IMO there are too many places blowing air may not get the job done very well. In low spots compressed air will leave water in the lowest areas as soon as a little air displaces the uppermost trapped water in a low spot.

As for the water heater, I switch the bypass valves and drain the tank from the bottom drain plug. I don't have a washing machine or dishwasher and can't directly comment on those.

Why risk water system damage to save a few minutes of effort and a few gallons of the pink stuff?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
IC2

I blow the system out though do use a bit more pressure - 45psig then use the pink stuff. We don't have a washer but the lines are there. In my case, I open the valves and allow the lines to drain back then blow them out as well. I found that those washer water lines deadhead and will trap some water if not specifically drained and blown out. I also found that the little Porter Cable pancake compressor wont supply enough pressure at full volume to do a good job. I hooked up the big one and was surprised how much water came out after 10 minutes of that small compressor huffing and puffing.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote