Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Suburban sw6de Water Heater Won't Light

Hi, I am new here. I own a 2016 keystone cougar fifth wheel and the hot water heater won't start. If I use a match to light it, it will turn on for five seconds and then shut off. It cycles three times and then I get the red light on the panel inside. I changed the propane regulater, and it still doesn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. the dealer said I can take it over to them and they can fix it but it will be about 2 months, on a waiting list. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.
bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomer View Post
Hi, I am new here. I own a 2016 keystone cougar fifth wheel and the hot water heater won't start. If I use a match to light it, it will turn on for five seconds and then shut off. It cycles three times and then I get the red light on the panel inside. I changed the propane regulater, and it still doesn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. the dealer said I can take it over to them and they can fix it but it will be about 2 months, on a waiting list. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.
bloomer
I suspect the "Spark and Sense Electrode" for your water heater has gone bad.

Here's one for an Atwood water heater: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93868-.../dp/B0007XS06Q

Most RV stores/dealers stock have various different ones.... to fit most every RV water heater.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
bloomer
I suspect the "Spark and Sense Electrode" for your water heater has gone bad.

Here's one for an Atwood water heater: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93868-.../dp/B0007XS06Q

Most RV stores/dealers stock have various different ones.... to fit most every RV water heater.

Mel
'96 Safari
thank you I just ordered one I hope that works I will let ya know
Old 07-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I hope that part is returnable. It is for an Atwood water heater and you said you have a Suburban sw6de. It does sound like the heat sensor isn't triggering the gas valve to stay open beyond the 5 second lighting period. You might also make sure the over-temperature thermostat, one for gas the other for 120 v electric are both pressed in and reset. Here's a link to the manual for your heater. I see it has a two year warranty and you have a 2016 RV. You might contact Suburban or dealer to make sure you'll have parts and service covered. The link to the manual also has a parts list.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

i do belive they are both pressed in are they supposed to be pressed in
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

so what part should i look at or order
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomer View Post
so what part should i look at or order
bloomer
For the Suberban SW6DE water heater it would be Suberban p/n 232258
Suburban Water Heater 232258 2 Prong Electrode | eBay
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

thank you i hope that's the problem we are planning on going camping this weekend if that aint the problem i wonder what to look for nexed
Old 07-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

I know this is a little late but why if you have a 2016 Model are "You" replacing it unless you are out of warranty. I think that Suburban have a 2 year warranty. I also think they have a tech support line to help you or help you locate a service center that is close to where you are at. They would hopefully get you the correct part and hopefully for free.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout4eagles View Post
I know this is a little late but why if you have a 2016 Model are "You" replacing it unless you are out of warranty. I think that Suburban have a 2 year warranty. I also think they have a tech support line to help you or help you locate a service center that is close to where you are at. They would hopefully get you the correct part and hopefully for free.
scout4eagles
Some people buy an RV to USE it, (not to wait for warranty work to be done).
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

On my last unit, I had the same intermittent problem on electricity,, would work till the water got Luke warm, then stop. My Suburban had a bad safety switch on the electric side from the factory. I changed it out, and that worked problem free for the next 2 years.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

i would like to bring it over to the dealer but they are 100 from where i live and if i do bring the camper over to them they said it would take at least 1 month or more before they could get to it so i might as well do it my self.i want to use the trailer not have it parked over there
Old 07-12-2016, 02:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd start by cleaning your ground wires. The look at the board contacts for the plug. Next, make sure the water heater is grounded. lastly, bypass/jump the temp sensor buttons. If it is still not sparking, then replace the board.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:06 AM   #14

Part number 232319, switch assembly 12vdc T stat hi limit for the suburban sw6de water heater. When the water heater cuts out, this switch will read 12 Vdc across the wiring lugs if it is what went open to stop the heater. Kinda tricky to test, as the problem is intermittent. The 120 volt one that I replaced on my 12 gallon unit only cost 8 or 10 bucks, from a RV dealer near the resort we were staying at. These are not high failure items, but This same dealer said that he has had several bad hi limit switches on NEW units. Good luck.

Tags
heat, heater, light, water, water heater