Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Suggestions on new RV

We have a Blackwood fifth wheel by Thor and it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned...so we are looking at getting a new one..I don't want to be stuck with another piece of junk! We are looking at a Montana,Big Country,and a Solitude. I have read bad reviews about keystone..any suggestions would be a big help..I just want a GOOD fifth wheel..
AmieMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #2

What is your budget, what are you going to use it for, and what are you pulling it with?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

If you call the "Blackwood" junk I personally don't believe you will be happy with any of the mass produced Eckhart units. Drv, Excel are in a different category. If too much money, check into used quality units. We just bought our Teton and researched many of today's mass produced units. We bought this because of quality.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

I just ordered a Columbus (Forest River-Palomino div) 5er because of all the features for the price point. I have owned 2 Keystone products that were good. My brother has owned a Montana 5er for 10 yrs. It is still great & they have lived in it for at least 5 months each year. I am also sure there are 1 or 2 buyers that got a bad Montana & would not own another. The same holds true for most brands.

I followed the Columbus quality for 2 yrs prior to buying. I finally bought because it was very rare to find someone who regretted buying one because of quality issues.

I think RVs are like autos which means every so often a lemon is made, & that RV will be a nightmare for every owner. I also don't feel the average RV has the typical quality control of an auto manufacturer. Pick one with the features you like & check the reviews. If the reported problems are very few, go for it.

I also suspect good clean late model used RVs unless I can speak with the previous owner. Maybe they traded up or down; or maybe they traded out because it was like your Blackwood. There are several good choices & our personal recommendations may highly praise a Blackwood; if we have had great luck with one. I suggest you narrow your choice & then ask about those specific models on the forums. Good luck with your search.
kycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Neighbor just came home with a brand new Columbus. So far the leveling jacks don't work and it has to go back to CW for repairs when parts get in. I am not impressed with Forest Rivers supposed top of the line fifth wheel. Now their lower line Cedar Creek is another story. Our 2005 has been flawless. As I type this I have two minor issues that need to be taken care of when the weather breaks and I can spend a day under it.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6

I'd recommend taking a look at Jayco's. I had a 2008 Designer that was of excellent quality.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

What Glen said. Most of the recent products can be traced back to Thor who owns Heartland, Crossroads, Keystone. Drew Industries enters the mix and owns Lippert.

I just looked at a new Redwood. Full body paint, all the bells and whistles. Same 12" I beam frame as my Montana. Redwood has a 2+5 warranty. Read the warranty and you decide. The stuff that normally breaks is not covered by "Redwood"

They call their frame, jacks, etc. made by Falcon. The label says LCI. which is Lippert.

You can go to Excel, they make their own frame, but something as simple as installing holding tanks, as late as '13 owners are having tank failures due to installation methods. Older ones are prone to slide floor/wall water damage on your nickle.

DRV, full wall slides powered by Schwintec, stripped gears, motor failures. Saw a DRW with the slide removed and Lippert was trying to figure a way to install a different system that would move the large heavy slide.

The older better built stuff, is heavy, needs a 350 or larger tow. Some of the systems like Power Gear, is out of business and parts are not available. We looked at older higher end rigs, but the folks that buy the higher end rigs usualy buy them to use and we never found one that did not need a lot of refurbishing and the owners were damn proud of them.

Just cause a 5th is expensive it does not make it better. Just more expensive.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #8

Just look at the units that are on our roads today and see them pulled along. Jayco, keystones, Heartlands, Forest Rivers are very common. Therefore their will be larger numbers of problems. But they are still in business.

One former Tetan owner told me he spend $3000 on an obsoleted slide motor. So he got rid of it.
One former Suite owner asked me if my unit stayed together cause his heavy one needed to much repairs. He had an other smaller unit.

I parked next to a DRV for 2 weeks and I noticed it looked much olded then ours but noticed the year was 2009. They had all new tires after 2 blowouts that ruined both fenders. He had stripped all white trim covers because all the screws were rotting.
He left with the front landing gear lowering by them self so he had to stop often to drive them back up. He was impressed that I moved my unit around with all slides out.

That was in 3 CG visit in 3 weeks this fall. Never saw any more of those since.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you looking to stay in a tail dragger? Would you even consider a coach?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
We are very happy with our Cedar Creek 36ckts, I have not had to take it to the dealer for any repair issues.
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a whole slew of mid range 5th wheel that are in the same category as a Blackwood. If your funds allow, I'd step up to something by DRV (not the Traditions line), Lifestyle or Excel. If these are too much $$$, look at used units in the 3 to 5 year old range.

problem is these are all heavy units and you will need a current 1 ton dually.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

We have a dually, our fifth wheel now is a 38ft Blackwood and its a complete nightmare!!!! We have looked at many RVs and I know you will have some issues with them...we go camping probably 2x a month. I was asking opinions on what ppl thought as far as what they have or have heard about Big Country (heartland) or Montana (keystone) or poss an Excel? I want a good unit that I can go camping in and not worry about what's gonna break or leak next!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What is your budget, what are you going to use it for, and what are you pulling it with?
We have a dually, we r looking at units that are $80-100,000 that's sticker which I know that's not what we are gonna pay.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

Consider also looking at Artic Fox by Northwoods Mfg. These are very well built and have good reviews.