Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Summer Storage

We are storing are 5th wheel in Myrtle Beach South Carolina for the summer. it will be in storage from May through August. Have gotten lots of good suggestions for prep from others here but have a question about damprid. Some here use it some don't. Does the stuff really work? If I elect to use it how many of the buckets should I put in a 40-foot 5th wheel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We are storing are 5th wheel in Myrtle Beach South Carolina for the summer. it will be in storage from May through August. Have gotten lots of good suggestions for prep from others here but have a question about damprid. Some here use it some don't. Does the stuff really work? If I elect to use it how many of the buckets should I put in a 40-foot 5th wheel?
Damp rid is used extensively up here. However it is not "set it and forget it" solution.

The biggest mistake people who store boats/rvs is not returning often enough or at all to check on things. Monthly visits to refresh the damp-rid. Open up the rig and let it air out. Wiping down surfaces and wash the exterior. All required for the best long term outcome.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
Damp rid in that area like in FL is liking trying to remove the moisture from the beach. Its not designed for long term use and would need to be changed very frequently.
Make sure you have Maxx Air vent covers on your roof vents and leave them all open an inch or two.
Do not leave any food at all in the rig as it will attract ants/bugs.
Leave all the cabinet and closet doors open, too.
I have lived in the St Augustine, FL, area for years without issue. My current fiver is 5 years old and is stored at our home 2 blocks from the ocean. I do exactly as I suggested to you and our rig still smells new inside.
Ventilate as best you can and don't worry. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
Damp rid in that area like in FL is liking trying to remove the moisture from the beach. Its not designed for long term use and would need to be changed very frequently.
Make sure you have Maxx Air vent covers on your roof vents and leave them all open an inch or two.
Do not leave any food at all in the rig as it will attract ants/bugs.
Leave all the cabinet and closet doors open, too.
I have lived in the St Augustine, FL, area for years without issue. My current fiver is 5 years old and is stored at our home 2 blocks from the ocean. I do exactly as I suggested to you and our rig still smells new inside.
Ventilate as best you can and don't worry. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. All food will be removed and I plan to leave the vents slightly open (we do have Maxx air covers). Can't do any monthly checks since we live 7 hours away in Virginia. Sounds like damp rid in my situation is waste of time.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. All food will be removed and I plan to leave the vents slightly open (we do have Maxx air covers). Can't do any monthly checks since we live 7 hours away in Virginia. Sounds like damp rid in my situation is waste of time.
If you cant drive 7 hrs then get a plug in dehumidifier with a drain and put in the bathroom shower or set in on the counter to drain in the sink.

I would make the drive at least once in that time.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If you cant drive 7 hrs then get a plug in dehumidifier with a drain and put in the bathroom shower or set in on the counter to drain in the sink.

I would make the drive at least once in that time.
No electricity in storage so can't run dehumidifier. Hundreds of RVs packed in huge storage yards.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #7

Why not store it closer to home so you can check on it.
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Before I had the fiver at my home, it was in an RV storage lot. I have a 160 watt solar panel on the roof. May through September, I let one Fan- Tas-Tic Fan run continually to help exhaust the hot air from the unit those hotter months. They are 12 volt and made to be run for long periods. The same fan is still running perfectly today. They draw little current so the solar kept the batteries topped off and in good condition between trips, too.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Problem solved. We like going to Ocean Lakes so well that we are leasing a permanent site. Trailer will go on the site in about one month. Has two nice shade trees and we can leave it connected to utilities year round. We will be there nearly 6 months out of the year so leasing will cost less than campsite rental for the same time

Tags
storage