Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 AM   #1

Summer Storage

We are considering spending next winter, work camping where we are now in north central Florida, thinking storing the rig. That being said, and the fact we normally don't use the rig in the summer as I sometimes work or we travel on the motortrike. We have found a storage lot that does not have electric available, so have to ventilate the rig to keep down mold and mildew and odor. Would leaving the roof vents open(have maxi covers on them) or should I possibly leave a window open a little. At home we just leave the vents open, and periodically open the door and leave it open for a day.. Just don't want to come back to a green rig, the storage area is not covered and no trees....

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #2

I have exactly the same question. We have travelled fulltime the last 12 years in a 34ft 5th wheel, but plan to park it in Southern Alabama, as a home base, on a lease spot, & continue travel in a new triple slide Host truck camper. Our 5th wheel will be stored for up to 6 months each summer, with no electric hookup. I have 700 watts of solar & 4- 100AH lead acid batteries. I'm trying to figure how to keep the rv interior from getting damp or moldy from the hot, humid summers & also keep the batteries from dying or running dry. If I keep the solar charger connected, I'm afraid the battery charging will evaporate the water out of the batteries. If I disconnect the batteries, I'm afraid they will drain down to close to zero. I would also like to know if it's better to close up the rv or leave the roof vents (with Maxi covers) open. We've lived in our rv every day for 12 years, so we've never had to think about this problem.
freestyle_freddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
I have exactly the same question. We have travelled fulltime the last 12 years in a 34ft 5th wheel, but plan to park it in Southern Alabama, as a home base, on a lease spot, & continue travel in a new triple slide Host truck camper. Our 5th wheel will be stored for up to 6 months each summer, with no electric hookup. I have 700 watts of solar & 4- 100AH lead acid batteries. I'm trying to figure how to keep the rv interior from getting damp or moldy from the hot, humid summers & also keep the batteries from dying or running dry. If I keep the solar charger connected, I'm afraid the battery charging will evaporate the water out of the batteries. If I disconnect the batteries, I'm afraid they will drain down to close to zero. I would also like to know if it's better to close up the rv or leave the roof vents (with Maxi covers) open. We've lived in our rv every day for 12 years, so we've never had to think about this problem.
Guessing not many store their rigs in the summer. I know when we stayed in Nature's Coast RV Resort, Crystal River, Fl in 2013, there were several that had sit all summer closed up tight and smelled musty and had to be cleaned and deodorized. There were some that had the a/c on all the time and they were clean. A couple had left their vents open with maxi covers and they were better than the ones closed up tight. I figure on leaving mine, like I do at home. Frig door open, vents open about an inch or so and hope for the best...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 12-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #4

When we stored our 35 ft, liveaboard boat, thru the Florida summers, we would hang 3 Sun Pack bags inside.

We would open and hang the bags then get out fast, closing everything up.

When we returned in the fall, there was no mold or smell anywhere.

We would use them in the motorhome during the Florida winter, while on the boat with the same results.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211207-081207_Chrome.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	350856
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When we stored our 35 ft, liveaboard boat, thru the Florida summers, we would hang 3 Sun Pack bags inside.

We would open and hang the bags then get out fast, closing everything up.

When we returned in the fall, there was no mold or smell anywhere.

We would use them in the motorhome during the Florida winter, while on the boat with the same results.Attachment 350856
Thanks, will see if I can find them locally..

Tags
storage