RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 05:18 AM   #1

Surge Protectors

We pick up our “new” baby tomorrow so can’t be more excited. I have watched a few YouTube videos of different types of surge protectors. What do y’all recommend? Do you use them at all? What about theft of them at camp grounds? We have 50 amp on our 5er and I really don’t want to take any chances with frying any components. Thanks in advance.
Hoppy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #2

We had a portable.. It fried when water got in it.. Pedistals with electric plug too close to the ground caused cord to kink and let water inside it....
Now have a progressive industries 50 amp internal. I mounted it inside the wall behind the CO2 propane detector. Ran remote display wire up the inside of wall mounted straight in from door.
Works great!

RoadrunnerII
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 AM   #3

I used a 30 amp Progressive Industries model for many years without a problem. After purchasing the Bay Star, I immediately ordered the 50 amp portable model. After using it for a bit, I decided to make a few modifications and I now keep it in the storage compartment where the power line is located.

This thread discusses how to wire a portable unit for use in the power bay:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sur...nt-498821.html

If you go with a portable unit and use it at the power pedestal, it's easy enough to use a cable and lock to make it a little more difficult for someone to acquire it at a discount!

It's hard to beat the EMS units from Progressive Industries. They have a pretty solid track record and their customer service gets good reviews.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Had a portable and installed a permanent. Always had one always will. If your going to use one get a unit with EMS built in. Low voltage and improperly wired pedestals are a more common issue than just surge protection. I prefer the Progressive Industries line of products.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll second Spdracer's comment. I have a hard wired Progressive HW50C and would not hook up to a pedestal without one. It has saved my bacon three times with miswired or under powered pedestals.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #6

I have a hard wired Progressive 50 amp and love it.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

We have the portable Progressive PT-50X. You definitely want an EMS. The portables let you test the power before you back into the space, which is a plus. Also, using a portable generator you can leave the EMS disconnected where a built-in needs to do something special or the EMS thinks there's a problem with ground. The pros of built-in are that it's always there, always on, out of the way, not easily stolen. Like Coke and Pepsi, both kinds have their fans.
rvneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We too went portable PI-ems 50 amp... (about 10 years or more ago!)

Saved my bacon 4 times or more... when the yardman/electrician/garbage pickup expert said it's not the pedestal
Old 08-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Southwire 50amp portable for us. PI just as good and would have bought one but, got a great deal my Southwire, money talks!

Can't think of a more important component to have, you are making a good decision
Old 08-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy60 View Post
We pick up our “new” baby tomorrow so can’t be more excited. I have watched a few YouTube videos of different types of surge protectors. What do y’all recommend? Do you use them at all? What about theft of them at camp grounds? We have 50 amp on our 5er and I really don’t want to take any chances with frying any components. Thanks in advance.
Same as others, we use a portable and it has saved us once from possible damage. When it went out I called Progressive and they wanted a picture of the unit and sent out a replacement at no cost. They had great customer service.

A friend has a Class A with a built in surge protector, when it went out earlier this year they had to wait about 3 weeks to get a replacement and a tech to service it out to the campground. So they had to bypass the bad unit until they had a new one installed.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There's been more than one power pedestal repaired or replaced over the years we've been on the road as a direct result of our Progressive Industries internal indicating a problem. Alternatively we've been moved to a site with safe equipment.

One save is more than worth the price of admission.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
JDT

We had the on board Progressive in our previous fifth wheel which worked as advertised for 8 years. I did have to replace the board once but it was at no charge.

When we got our Pinnacle a couple of months ago I could not see an easy way to install a hard wired version. After researching my options I decided to try the Hughes Autoformers Watch Dog PWD50-EPO in the portable version. I've used it continuously since we got the new fifth wheel as we have 50 amp hook up in our rv garage. Right after we got the new fiver home I tried to turn on the bedroom ac but got a notice on my phone from the Watch Dog that it had shut off power due to over amperage. Turns out the compressor on the ac had locked up which caused it draw over 50 amps when trying to start. I reset it several times with the same results until I figured out what was going on.

I like the simplicity of it, a red faced dog if the power is not good and a white one if everything is ok. The bluetooth works fine as long as you are within range. I bought a bicycle locking cable to at least give it some measure of protection. Also, it is not as costly as some others.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #13

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...SAAEgI_YPD_BwE

hughes just cam out with a brand new product that gives you blue tooth feed back of exactly how much power your using in real time and tracks it . I leave the AC and frig on at home most of the summer but set the temps higher then normal. 80* for the AC and 40 for the frig , it only has ketchup and mustard and a few thing in the freezer for the next trip.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...SAAEgI_YPD_BwE

hughes just cam out with a brand new product that gives you blue tooth feed back of exactly how much power your using in real time and tracks it . I leave the AC and frig on at home most of the summer but set the temps higher then normal. 80* for the AC and 40 for the frig , it only has ketchup and mustard and a few thing in the freezer for the next trip.
That would be excellent for figuring out how much solar you need. Here's a video on it from the All About RVs YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/WXtp5F4Z0aI. When we started RVing we didn't think we'd do solar. Than we found we were boondocking and in the Southwest and realized that was a perfect match for solar. Long story short, if I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with the Hughes.
rvneil is offline   Reply With Quote