Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #1

Hello
I just in a forum question about having a surge protector,to prevent problems.Can anyone tell me about these and how much are they? thank you in advance.

tom & gerry
tomwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #2

Hello
I just in a forum question about having a surge protector,to prevent problems.Can anyone tell me about these and how much are they? thank you in advance.

tom & gerry
tomwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You might try searching for a previously discussed topic. Click on Find, then type surge supressor (or surge protector) in the Keyword Search box, uncheck the Search current forum only box & you'll get several threads. Hone in on the Surge Supressor Advice and information (in MH - Problems, Solutions & After Market) discussion. I think you'll find a lot answers you're looking for in that discussion.

I wouldn't have a camper without one. You just never know how shore power is at a campground.

If ya got more questions, don't hesitate to post again.
L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Surge Guard has a few types. In-line that hang off of the power post and permanent mounts. One will even automatically switch to the generator if you have one.

They will protect your rig from over power conditions as well as under power conditions (which can be equally as bad). I guess price depends on where you get it, but expect a cost to be upwards to $ 700+ for the model the switches to the generator. Camping World sells them too.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #5

I highly recommend the use of a surge protector.
We lost our power inverter due to a power fluctuation, so learned the expensive way. We now use one of the "portable" types.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #6

tomwin

I have never had a problem but a few of my buddies have so I installed one before the horse got out. Check out this one

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

I bought mine from VIP Enterprises great people to deal with.

http://www.viprv.com/index2.html?=order.html

Tom
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Tom, I recommend the Progressive Industries models as well...Here's a page full of different models available at rvupgrades an iRV2.com sponsor!!

Give 'em a try!!

(My wife and the Fedex guy think I must be an rvupgrade distributor....their site has lots of stuff!)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #8

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(My wife and the Fedex guy think I must be an rvupgrade distributor....their site has lots of stuff!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats all good. I've been known to do a few up-grades myself, and have used RVupgrades before with good luck for other things.

Tom
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I vote for Progressive Industries also. I have a 50 amp wired in line. (EMH HW 50C) The people at progressive are great to deal with if you have questions
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #10

I will not plug into any power source without my SurgeGuard!!!! I have a friend that was an RV tech, so when I bought my first trailer in 02 I asked him what I had to have. He said they see units all the time with electrical damage from miswired parks and lightining storms. He suggested the SurgeGuard since it protects against high and low power. Then came the night at Myrtle Beach, we had already been there about a week and had beautiful weather so we decided to stay one extra night. You guessed it a huge thunderstorm came in so quick I had no time to even get the awning up, glad I had tie downs. All of a sudden everything went white and the loudest boom I have ever heard. All power went off then the lights came back on but no AC. I thought we had lost it but two min later it fired right up. You see when the unit is tripped or first hooked up to power it monitors the power for two min to make sure it is clean power and within a given range, then and only then will the unit allow power to the RV, so it worked just as it should. The reason we had lights right away was because it went to battery power. We did loose the TV and Radio because when the lightining strike hit 6ft from our trailer it came through the ground and in thru the coaxile cable. It fied all the wires and both the TV and radio. I now have a screw in protector for the coaxile cable. You can get them from Radio Shack for 10 bucks. If it gets hit you just throw it away. The next morning the four RV's that were on our same circuit all had to leave cutting their vacation short. One man in a big MH lost everything , over 4K in damage. Not worth it to me!!!! I have the portable unit because I got a good deal on it.

2000 F350 CC Dually, PSD, 4X4
NCHornet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I monitor voltage fairly often at campgrounds and the first place we stayed after installing the SURGEGARD it shut the power down for us and when I looked at the incoming voltage it was 100 volts. The AC was running and the shutdown prolly saved the compressor from overheating.
It turned out we were at the end of the row and a bunch of motorhomes pulled in and turned on their AC and down went the voltage. I always check voltage before hooking up as some places dont have great wiring but this place was ok till the crowd showed up. Get one, its cheaper than fixing stuff.

2006 Montana 3400RL Quad Slide full timing July 06 <a href="https://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Waco.html">
Cummins Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our park right now the voltage varies from 110 to 129 volts , with 129 being first thing in the morning
i purchased a meter on saturday after we lost the microwave the week before.
it took me all week to put two and two together that it could have been park power vice the microwave itself...
on gen power the voltage stays right at 118-120
with slight ocillations
looking this morning to order a powerguard type product.

so how high is to high? is 129 pushing the upper limits for the micro and a/c's
also been thinking about an iverter for the tv and micro so they would have a dedicated clean power source, any thoughts
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #13

To; Powerboatr;

Too high or too low voltage can be VERY damaging to most of your system and things plugged into it.

I've used a surge protector which also protects from over/under voltage that costs now around $500.00. I've had mine for 6 years.

Instead of connecting it outside at the campground post where someone could BORROW it, I had the dealer hard wire a short, 18 " piece of 50 amp cord with recepacle which I plug surge protector into and plug tge 50 amp cord into it, all INSIDE bay where it would not be convienient for someone to borrow.

Don't go without one.

Hope this info is usefull,.

Thanks Aime=== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ajbjrvers
thanks
i found one this morning that can be installed after the shore and gen power (hardwired 494.00)to protect the coach
thanks
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote