Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
suspension on 5th wheels

I went to a rv show in Penticton B.C. and a gentleman that sells both Heartland and Montana told me that the shock absorbers on the Heartland do not make a better ride than the Moride on the Montana. This he said comes from the guys that truck them across the country. This seems a little hard to believe as shock absorbers should take the bounce out of the ride, but according to him this is not so.
The reason I am askiing is because I am looking at these two models and was leaning toward the Heartland.
HELP me make and intelligent and founded decision.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Golly, I don't know. I would thing the 5th wheel itself would ride better. But, if it makes much difference in the ride of the truck is something else. You never see car haulers, or other 5th wheels with shocks.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

Not sure if you (or the sales person) are speaking of the MOR/ryde IS system, their axle SRE/4000 OR CRE/3000 system, or the pin box. Actually, on 5th wheels the shocks do nothing, and I mean nothing, at the 45 degree angle they are at, it just helps the axles from beating each other to dead, but really don't do much for smoothing out the ride. If you have any work done on the axles, Lippert, etc, removes them.
As far as MOR/ryde, we have the IS system on our 5th wheel, and there is NO comparison, there are NO axles, it is independent suspension, hence the IS system. Also we have their pin box and it is excellent! Do not know about their SRE and CRE suspension, between a normal axle setup. But I will say this, MOR/ryde knows supension, in my book better than anyone in the market!!

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You cannot make an intelligent and founded decision based on what a salesman tells you. Salesman want to make a sale and will say anything. You can bet good money he or the people that supposedly told him about suspension systems dont know anything about suspension systems
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Mor-Ryde is a definite improvement over the usual axle setup, and as noted the IS is the best they offer. It all depends on how far you plan to go and how often and on what roads.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember the first rule of RV buying....If a salesman's lips are moving, he is lying.
Buy their nature, what ever they have to sell is the best and they talk down the competition. If he changed to the competition, he would change his story.

If he was a good salesman and knew his product an the competition as well, he'll sell his strong points as pluses and not even attack the competition.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
seems that all I'm getting is all the brown sugar that the salesman is telling me. The question that was asked was regarding the suspention and not about the salesman! Again I asked re the suspention for a heartland and a montana. Cut the hooey and relate to the question!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #8

Our last 5th Wheel had a standard spring suspension with Shocks, our current 5th Wheel has a standard spring suspension, no shocks but does have the MorRyde CRE3000 Rubber Suspension link between the Springs.

I cannot tell any difference towing between the two, our current 5th Wheel tows great with the MorRyde Link between the springs.
As has been said before, many of the shock mounts on 5th Wheels I have seen are mounted at such an angle, there is no shock travel so not much dampening is accomplished.
Also many have commented that after very little use the angled shocks are bent or not working.

For us with the MorRyde mounts, I do not think the shocks will add much.
The current rubber suspension links by several manufactures seem to do the job and shocks are not needed.

I may look at upgrading our MorRyde CRE3000 to the SRE4000 at some point, looks like the SRE 4000 is a little more heavy duty and has more rubber / travel. When our 5er was built, Jayco was using the CRE3000, I think they are now using the SRE4000 as a standard on the Pinnacle.

Both Heartland and Montana are good units at their price point and both have a very loyal brand following. (All you have to do is read their respective forums)
If you are looking at these two brands, get the one that has the floorplan that works and just feels right when you are in it!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
jks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
seems that all I'm getting is all the brown sugar that the salesman is telling me. The question that was asked was regarding the suspention and not about the salesman! Again I asked re the suspention for a heartland and a montana. Cut the hooey and relate to the question!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a deep breath, and relax, people just having conversations. No reason for the tone.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Several did answer your question - - seems you missed it. Let me try and make it simple: it doesn't matter what the name is on the outside of the fiver - - if it has MorRyde, it has the best suspension and the IS is best of MorRyde. Very simple. Shocks don't cut the mustard - - the suspension is what makes the difference.

Bob
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I would like to thank all the made the comments regarding the morryde suspention and I have made my mind as to which way I will go. Regardless what suspention that is has, it can be upgraded to a MorRyde and I want to thank all for the advice.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

how NOT to get help with a question

unless u r riding in the 5er - how could u know what rides better ?

and how is better measured
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #13

Pops,we have a 2011 40' 5th with 7,000lb axles. Took it to Mor-Ryde and had the IS rubber independent suspension installed. along with hydraulic brakes and the Mor_Ryde rubber pin box. Also upgraded the wheels and tires to 17.5" and 4800lbs/wheel carrying capacity, or 19,200lbs total.

As noted, the floor plan and quality are the first issue, the rest can be dealt with later.

Please note that I am beyond extremely satisfied with the changes. They amounted to around 10% of the purchase price as aftermarket, but we range from the SW desert to Alaska, about 12,000 miles a year. Now we don't get the third and fourth hits on the bumps, and little to no chucking.

No matter what trailer you choose, get the brake wires out of the axle tube.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
I would like to thank all the made the comments regarding the morryde suspention and I have made my mind as to which way I will go. Regardless what suspention that is has, it can be upgraded to a MorRyde and I want to thank all for the advice.
The MorRyde independent suspension upgrade is pretty much only available at the MorRyde service center in Elkhart, Indiana.
WDK450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension