Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

I think Rednax & I will agree to disagree. It would take way more typing than I'm willing to do to argue each and every point. We all have our opinions but I'd have to say that my 5th wheel is every bit as stable and maybe less top heavy than the 45' tag axle coach that used to own. YMMV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
I think EVERYONE THAT HAS EVER PULLED A 5er & I will agree to disagree.

There, fixed it for you.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #17

I’ve been towing trailers of every description 44-Years. Privately and commercially. In weather none of you would have dared. Loads that had to be delivered.

I’ve exaggerated nothing.

The 5’er hitch is the only advantage. And that’s more than matched by using a Virtual Pivot Point hitch such as Hensley or Pro Pride with a conventional TT.

Of course, you all might be among those who believe a pickup “necessary” to pull any TT. Think “Payload” the key subject.

Because when it’s down to the crunch, top-heavy with bad suspension (both vehicles), is dead last place. Least likely to stay upright.

Further says that understanding hitch rigging is deficient in that crowd. As more than 90% get it wrong, consider it insufficient information and experience.

Can keep right on going.

5’ers might be handy for those who want what they supposedly offer, but stability on-road isn’t one of their virtues. Nor is fuel economy or persons aboard to weight ratio. Etc.

Believe what you will. But avoid having to prove misguided ideas about stability. Will be painful.

So long as it’s a great road with ideal traffic and weather, you’ll be fine at speeds below most governed trucks (65).

Never ascend a grade 10-mph faster than slowest traffic, and use those service brakes on the descent (for if you can’t keep the vehicles taut against one another you’re literally begging for an accident).

Don’t push stupidity with arrogance.

Everything happens too fast to correct with an unstable trailer. Too late once it’s felt at the steering of a 4WD pickup. Over you go.

Good luck.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #18

Remember as a kid when you grabbed the seatpost on your friend's bike while he was riding it? You could make that bike go anywhere you wanted. So it is with bumper pull trailers, the hitch is mounted at the bumper and there you are again, 7 years old, on the ground, with skinned knees.

I've towed both 5vers and TTs, personal preference. What makes both dangerous are antiquated leaf spring suspensions and inadequate and dangerous drum (dumb) brakes. To all 5ver and TT owners, now is the time to upgrade your brakes to disc. Your family's safety depends on how quickly you can stop, not how fast you can go.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well many with TT have to work hard to get rid of it, one would need to work very hard to induce sway in a 5er. One would need almost zero pin weight, with like a load of anvils sitting back of the rear bumper to get a 5er to sway.

I would much rather see a 150/1500 pulling a 5er at or slightly over weight ratings (tires excluded), than pulling a long TT, stability is far safer, as long as tire ratings are not exceed.

Whatever happened to anvils anyway, much less a load of them?
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote