Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

The puck system on Fords started in 2011 or 2012. OP's truck can't add it.

I payed $800 installed for puck and then $1,000 for Companion. Cost more than if truck came with 5th wheel prep from factory but worth it.
LaSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #16

New Horizons Owners Club
I went with Comfort Ride 30K hitch, no bucking and was a easy install.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a B&W Turnover hitch setup and love it in my 2007 RAM 3500. A great solid hitch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeck View Post
I am hopefully picking up my new fifth wheel from Lazydays in Tampa by the end of this month. I am trying to price out hitch installations and am quickly becoming shocked at the prices I'm getting also.

I currently have a 2000 Ford F350 dually which is my work truck. It has air bags so I'm hoping that helps with my pin weight (still working on understanding that). It also has a gooseneck hitch from a previous owner which I've never used before. I got up under the truck to look at it and it is rusted pretty badly. The whole frame mount piece and everything, so I do not trust it. I can't even pull the latch/lever that releases the ball to flip it around; it doesn't even move it's rusted that badly.

So my option is to replace the gooseneck and go with the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch.

Lazydays quoted me around $2,300 + tax for the gooseneck replacement and the Anderson Ultimate installed. That's with my discount because I'm purchasing a rig from them. It's roughly an 8.5 hour job he mentioned.

The parts department guy (Bob) also gave me another option for a 20k regular 5th wheel hitch non/rail mount non/slider hitch and would be around $2,500 plus tax installed. Again, including my discount on the hourly rate because of the new rig from them.

Are these good options and is this really the prices people pay for these 5th wheel hitches????

I am trying to stay away from rail mounts because I don't want them in the truck bed when I have to load rock and other landscape supplies. I need to be able to slide pallets with a forklift on and off without an issue of hitting rails.

Unless I'm missing something here, Andersen sells the 3220 online for $789 that leaves $1500 to replace the ball and mount???
My advice, shop around.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #19

The B&W turnover ball system sells for around $400 through Amazon and other sources and not difficult to install. That said I had a local truck outfitter shop install it for $650 OTD which included in bed 7 pole wiring connector. I searched online at Craigslist and found numerous B&W hitches for sale and over Christmas got a 20K slider, used once, for $900. I saw several non slider types available from $5-800.

The turnover ball mount is bolted to the frame and as such, other frame mounts may have to be removed. If the frame and components are as rusted and deteriorated as you seem to indicate, I agree with the comment that you might be setting yourself up for problems and failure especially with a heavy 5th wheel.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #20

Well, as others have said, your truck is not really up to the task of hauling this rig safely.

Adding a 5th wheel hitch in your bed will make matters worse, putting an additional 200 or so pounds on your rear axle.

You might want to consider the Reese Goose Box. It replaces the 5th wheel pin box and allows you to use a gooseneck ball in your bed.

It also does not affect your frame warranty. Unfortunately, even though the Andersen Ultimate is light, it can negatively affect your frame warranty if there is a problem. Lippert will not cover damage that might happen when using the Andersen Ultimate.

I don't think the Ultimate will cause damage, but be aware that you may have claim issues if you use it.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
I have the puck system in my truck. I need a 2 5/16 pop in ball ($100) and the Anderson hitch ($650) and I'm rolling. I could add safety chains for an additional $125. Good luck!
kksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #22

I am shocked that my truck isn't able to pull more. For the first time I googled what my tow rating was last night. I assumed that any dual wheeled truck can pull 20k lbs. easily!

I'm only driving around Florida so there aren't any mountains I have to worry about. I will try towing the rig for a few months and hopefully I won't burn up the transmission before getting a better truck. My buddy just bought a 2016 chevy and he swears by the duramax and the allison combo.

For now, this is what my F350 has.

It's a 4 speed
It's chipped with the hardest shift points to slow the clutch wear
K&N air filter
4 inch exhaust all the way out
Rear Air bags
Engine brake
Trans Cooler
75 Gallon in Bed Fuel Tank

I just looked on etrailer.com and added both a Curt gooseneck mount and a Reese goose box and with free shipping the price is $1,285. Not bad. The Curt gooseneck will be a little more difficult, but the Reese goose box looks fairly straightforward. I think this maybe the best rout.
jeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #23

Make sure you're looking at the 20k rated Goose Box, since your rig is that heavy.

FYI, there is a 4k lbs "pin" weight limit with the Goose Box, so you may want to research what pin weight others are seeing with your rig, don't rely on manufacturer published weights, they tend to be low.

Also make sure the 20k model can fit the receiver on your frame. If you can get the receiver part number (typically found on the factory installed pin box), etrailer can tell you if it will be a direct fit, or if you'll also need the spacer kit.

And consider a set of 42" long safety chains to avoid getting hassled by cops.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #24

Your 7.3 will pull that trailer no problem.Your transmission is the weak link.Your pin weight will be within your tag,but your trailer weight will be over.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
B&W Hitches... if you want a flat bed, the B&W turnover ball with a B&W companion hitch can't be beat, in my opinion.
100%

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #26

Had a B&W Turnover ball hitch. Shop charged $200 to install. Of all the hitches I have used over the years, the B&W is by far the best, but not the cheapest.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:

Lazydays quoted me around $2,300 + tax for the gooseneck replacement and the Anderson Ultimate installed. That's with my discount because I'm purchasing a rig from them. It's roughly an 8.5 hour job he mentioned.

The parts department guy (Bob) also gave me another option for a 20k regular 5th wheel hitch non/rail mount non/slider hitch and would be around $2,500 plus tax installed. Again, including my discount on the hourly rate because of the new rig from them.

Are these good options and is this really the prices people pay for these 5th wheel hitches????

I am trying to stay away from rail mounts because I don't want them in the truck bed when I have to load rock and other landscape supplies. I need to be able to slide pallets with a forklift on and off without an issue of hitting rails.

That's just plain flat out a ripoff. I worked in a trailer shop for a few years, We sold B&W. I've seen the kid who did all the hitch installations rip out rusty old one, install the new B&W wire a new plug, in 3-4 hours.

Personly, I can't see an Anderson Ultimate surviving an accident. I have seen the B&W Companion survive accidents with no ill effects.

I'll stick with the B&W Companion
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #28

Hitches

Quote:
I am hopefully picking up my new fifth wheel from Lazydays in Tampa by the end of this month. I am trying to price out hitch installations and am quickly becoming shocked at the prices I'm getting also.

I currently have a 2000 Ford F350 dually which is my work truck. It has air bags so I'm hoping that helps with my pin weight (still working on understanding that). It also has a gooseneck hitch from a previous owner which I've never used before. I got up under the truck to look at it and it is rusted pretty badly. The whole frame mount piece and everything, so I do not trust it. I can't even pull the latch/lever that releases the ball to flip it around; it doesn't even move it's rusted that bad
So my option is to replace the gooseneck and go with the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch.

I have the Andersen Ultimate Hitch and love it It is light enough one person can remove it. Like that the floor of bed on tow vehicle is flat when hitch is removed $2300 sounds a little high Might do some shopping around
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel