Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #1

I just heard that Teton is closing the doors--Does anyone have more information on this ?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #2

I just heard that Teton is closing the doors--Does anyone have more information on this ?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #3

Over on the escapees forum there are a couple of threads on this topic. It seems to be true.

Bill

2006 Tow-Buddy (AKA Hitch-Buddy)
Billd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I'm not surprised. Those things are so darned HEAVY!! I had a 2002 Teton Experience 33' and it killed my Ford F350 . . . I loved it but you really have to have a monster rig to tow them. I'm sure sales had to be down. As wonderful as they were, when you can buy a Hitchhiker or something and pull it with a regular truck, why spend all that money on something you have to have a Freightliner to tow it with??
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Link:
I just heard that Teton is closing the doors--Does anyone have more information on this ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to take a look at this article from yesterday's online edition of the Casper Star-Tribune:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Official: Teton Homes layoff rumors are untrue

By JARED MILLER
Star-Tribune staff writer

Teton Homes in Casper is contemplating a "substantial restructuring" but no layoffs are expected, according to the investment firm that owns the luxury travel-trailer builder.

"I don't expect this to translate into anything but a healthy, more viable business, and don't contemplate layoffs," said Charlie Larkin of Massachusetts-based Webster Capital Investment Co.

Larkin said recent rumors that the 41-year-old Casper business is shutting its doors are not true.

He said tough economic times sometimes generate speculation about the worst possible outcome, but in this case the speculation is inaccurate.

"We've heard the same ugly rumors," he said.

Teton Homes is not the only RV builder in America facing tough times.

Many plants are restructuring, slowing down or closing all together, according to Kevin Broom, spokesman for the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association.

Broom said the chief factor is the national credit crunch, which is making it harder for people who want to buy RVs to qualify for credit.

"The biggest thing is the banks," Broom said. "There are plenty of people who would like to buy RVs, but because of the mortgage meltdown, lending standards have tightened across the board."

Founded in the late 1960s by Robert Ingram, Teton Homes specializes in upper-end fifth-wheel trailers, some of which have been used on set by Hollywood stars.

In 2005, Ingram sold a controlling share of the company to Boston-based Webster Capital.

Teton Homes employs about 150 workers, according to statements a company official made to the Casper Area Economic Development Alliance this summer.

Contact Jared Miller at (307) 632-1244 or at jared.miller@trib.com.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>