Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #15

I finished winterizing my MH the weekend before last, took it up to the storage barn I keep it in, covered it up and walked away saying, "I'll see you in May".
This past weekend I cleaned my '67 Firebird 400 convertible and my son cleaned his '83 Camaro and we put them into storage in a barn just down the road from us.
Now it is time to unhook the grooming mower from my big tractor and put the snowblower on. I have other machinery to get ready and get stored for the winter months.
It's time to get our race sleds out of storage and go over them readying for the upcoming season, after I give my garage a good cleaning.
It's deer season up here and with 200 acres of land we own and manage all summer long it is time to enjoy it and relax a bit sitting in a blind waiting for "Mr. Big" to pass through.
We enjoy our MH when we use it and sometimes wish we had more time to use it. However we seem to be busy with so many activities we are somewhat limited.
As far as any thought of ever going full time I wouldn't even consider it. I couldn't be confined to a cracker box under any circumstances. I lived in a 35' X 8' house trailer for 2 years when I first got married. Then we moved up to a 50' X 10' trailer with a 17' X 15' expando living room. We lived in this for 10 years until we moved into our house I built nights and weekends after working full time all day then taking time off the building only to work part time jobs to help keep expenses paid up. In the meantime we had 3 children to feed and keep clothed. The day I moved into our house I said I'd never live in a confined space again no matter what.
I didn't live in a trailer park either. We had a piece of land next to my parents and had privacy. I have been a country boy all my life and don't intend to change anytime soon. Campgrounds are OK for a short stay but give me my space. I love most of my neighbors but they are more than 10' away. I'm good with that.
If I moved away from here I'd be back within a week wondering what my kids, grandchildren and now great grandchild are doing. I'd bet they'd miss Mom and Pop, Nana and Papa too.
Sorry for the long essay but full timing works well for some. Just not for everyone.
Want to have a real thrill? Come on up and take our Pro-Mod sled down the 500' dragstrip at 10 below zero at 110 MPH. You will never go South again.
(You break it and you buy it)
LOL
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
That is a very sad picture
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #17

From Mich also and just 'retired' a few weeks ago. So this will be our first full winter in the south. Leaving in a few weeks. Last year I left in early Dec for a few weeks in FL but got snowed in and delayed several days. Not this time (I hope!). The Midwest skies have already turned permanent winter gray and it has been in the 30s at night and I've been forced to use the furnace. Get me out of here ....
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #18

I spent half a lifetime in the UP one winter in the service at Kincheloe. Tough winters up there and not very gentle on anything left outside. But, if you like winter sports - can't beat it!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #19

HighDesert- We live 20 minutes from Kinchloe. I tell people we have two seasons. Bugs and snow. 😄
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
HighDesert- We live 20 minutes from Kinchloe. I tell people we have two seasons. Bugs and snow. 😄
I was in the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor 2 weeks ago when it was sunny and 75 deg!! The following week: 30-foot waves on Superior, 60MPH gusts, and snow. Situation normal ....
Old 11-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #21

That was the weekend I covered her up. I thought it'd change and I was unfortunately right. Now it's snowing.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Our stick and brick (and woodshop, which is one of our streams of income) is in Skandia, just south of Marquette.

We saw the first flurries the last week of October, looked at the forecast, had a family meeting (me, my wife, and our boys, ages 4 and 9). The next day, we closed up the house, fired up the motorcoach, and ran for the Southwest! We're enjoying the Grand Canyon as I type, will head further South next week, then make our way East. Back in Michigan just after Thanksgiving.

Winter is inevitable, but we decided to delay it just a bit this year...
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #23

This entire thread could have been in a golf forum too

No golf
No camping
40 degrees and raining
Can't wait to retire and head south
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
65 here in NE Texas this morning, just think a tank or two of fuel from being free to roam the southern USA till it gets too hot next summer.. My wife likes a couple years till retirement and I've been retired for 5 years waiting on her lol.. My plans were to buy a place in the north for the summer and south for winter maybe just a Lot with hook up's. Sold most of my cattle this year so I'm free to roam... Living in my part of Texas I have never experienced a spring or a fall .. We have 9 months of summer and sometimes a winter. Remember >> Your always welcome in south Texas for the winter !!
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #25
IC2

Our 5er just needs to be pushed back about 20 feet and it will be in its bed for the next several months. We slacked off a bit from the past couple years with only 75 days vs the usual 82 to 84. Still want to do a few things if the weather cooperates but it's raining now and giong to get into the 20s by the weekend so ---- spring is coming and whatever is on the list, may be done then.

Oh and I do agree with a previous poster - full timing may be fine for some, it just wont work for me either as my work shop and '31 Ford roadster street rod also need attention.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote