Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 07:26 AM   #1

Thoughts on Grand Design 5th Wheels

Looking for 5th wheel enthusiasts thoughts on Grand Design brand. IE: what do you think of brands construction quality and dependability compared to other brands.

Feel Free to objectively rate the brand vs other brands. I would like to know what others think are the top 3-4 brands in the industry (ranked by quality of build not volume of sales).
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

I bought a Grand Design Reflection 323bhs earlier this year. I spent over a year researching 5th wheels before I actually bought anything. I had not originally planned on buying new or spending as much as we did, but In a nutshell, my wife and I were so impressed with the company and the unit that we invested in the new trailer.

I first saw the floor plan and it made a lot of sense for our family. There were a couple other trailers with the same basic floor plan, namely the Cougar 336bhs and the Jayco 325bhqs, so I started looking at the companies. As is the case, especially with rv's, there were a bunch of bad reviews about everything and people complaining about non-working items and shoddy workmanship. I also noticed that Grand Design had far and away the most positive reviews and people commenting their appreciation for the company assisting them and coming through for the owners on both warranty and non-warranty repairs, even taking time to help the customer out if the dealer was being non-responsive. So, between the negative reviews of the Keystone brand and the negative reviews of the dealer that was advertising the Cougar, we took that one off our list of trailers we wanted to look at some more. Besides, I also found out that the trailer they were advertising wasn't actually in stock so we couldn't actually go see it.

At this point, we still weren't sure we wanted to spend that much money, but there was another dealer nearby that had several bunkhouse models as well as the Reflection 323bhs. What we found was that the cheaper trailers felt a lot cheaper and the trailers that seemed comparable were a lot more expensive. What we ultimately decided is that while we could probably live with one of the cheaper bunkhouses, we could buy the Reflection and probably not buy another trailer until we didn't need the bunkhouse anymore (plus the 6-point auto-level was a very attractive feature).

We ended up not looking at the Jayco because the dealer didn't have one in stock, but about the time we were deciding to spend the money on the Reflection, my buddy ordered the Jayco 325bhqs and I really didn't want to be parked next to him with the exact same trailer unless it was demonstrably the best option. Since we were already impressed with the Reflection we bought that. Having seen his trailer, I can say they are both very comparable trailers and would recommend either one (although I paid a little less than he did &#128512.
Boomer3801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You may want to qualify "top" brands. I own a GD 369RL-R and love it, and in the mid proced range I thought it was the best built. I ws particularly underwhelmed by the build quality of Redwood. We looked at about 5-6 of these and they all had build quality issues (loose pieces, poorly matched trim, etc.). However if you want to look at the top models of 5ers plan on spending a lot more money (can be close to $200k or more) once fully equipped. Names that come to mind: New Horizons, Augusta Luxe, DRV. There are others but that will get you started.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

We just purchased a 2016 GD Reflection 323bhs and pick it up on Tuesday. We were also very impressed with the quality on the first look. We can't wait to get in it and camp!
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
We bought our 2016 GD Reflection 317RST in December. We have been out in it a number of time and so far are pleased with our trailer.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We are also looking at a couple of GD floorplans. Probably in the 30-32ft range.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the responses.

We are looking hard at Grand Design because they have the unique floor plan of the Momentum 376 (rear bedroom with garage underneath). This is an ideal floor plan for the wife and I who don't have any kids living with us but we do have a lot of toys we like to carry with us.

As long as they are the ONLY brand offering this particular floor plan we are very close to buying one. But as any reasonable person would do we want to make sure the Brand itself has a good reputation.

We plan to attend the Hershey, PA show next month and will be looking to see if any other brands catch on to this great floor plan.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

I've got the GD Reflection 323BHS, and it's been great in the 2 years since we bought it.

As far as I can tell, the toy hauler retail market is especially competitve. And the fastest growing fifth wheel toy hauler in sales is Grand Design's Momentum brand.

If you're going toy hauler of any brand, be sure to tow them with a dually 1 ton diesel. They're all very heavy and very long units.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Howdy again Bama,

We purchased a brand new RAM diesel dually last week. Got it in White so we could add the Razorback trim to it!

GO HOGS GO!

I wouldn't really call the Grand Design 374 and 376 "toy haulers" they are more of a "cross over". Yes they haul toys in a garage but the garage is UNDER the living space and as such does not affect the total volume of the living area. I especially like the idea that both these units have front living room layouts and that the living rooms actually feel just like you are at home.

There are two things I really hate about conventional toy haulers:
1. Even though the garage can technically be used as part of the living space, it smells like gasoline and you have to unload the toys to use it!
2. The couch in the kitchen layout SUCKS. Who wants to break their neck to view the tv or talk to your friends?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

I love my 337. The first thing I noticed compared to it competitiors was the cabinetry. Everything feels solid and not cheap/light. So far, everything is holding up just fine. What sets GD apart is the customer service. AMAZING. I bought mine used and out of warranty but GD still took care of me for a few odds and ends.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

Solitude has a new floorplan with a garage, but no fuel tanks
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

I spent the last year researching 5th Wheels for my one-time new purchase. Plan to have it until after I retire in 6 years, which it will be paid for by then. I was looking at the Cougar 1/2 series, Forest River (a few different ones), and GD 29rs and 303rls. My main features were the extra living area and auto-level. Quality and service were also high on my list. Over this time I looked at hundreds of models, read more reviews and layouts then needed and almost bought the Cougar 283 model. Last week I was out in my current rig enjoying the sun and saw a GD 29rs there. Went to the owner and spent some time asking about the 5th Wheel and the company. He had nothing but praise for his unit. Besides typical new unit issues, but the customer service was outstanding. Last Tuesday I got a text from the sales person who had shown me a couple of GD (they were already sold at that time) and it said they had a 303 they just got in and was I still interested. I was at work until Saturday night, but would be there Sunday to look at it. No intention to buy. Got there and walked through the unit and was struck by the quality of workmanship and the feel.

Long story short. After looking at it I met with the sales manager and we through numbers back and forth for about 30 min. and came to a good deal. Though it was about $12 grand more then the other units I came to the conclusion that if I was to keep this for 10 years that in the long run the quality would pay for itself and I would be happier. I gained living area for less bedroom area. I pick it up on September 3rd. Only because my darn work schedule got in the way.

I will post pictures after picking up and can't wait for many years of enjoyment.

Good Luck in your search!
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Solitude has a new floorplan with a garage, but no fuel tanks
I couldn't find it on their website. Whats the number?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I couldn't find it on their website. Whats the number?
Haven't seen it in the Solitude line. But there is the Momentum 376TH where the garage is under the rear bedroom.

Tags
5th wheel