RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Thoughts on Newer 5th wheel with these options.

Our present 5th wheel is one word FANTASTIC in every way. Even has a electric slide out patio. It will definitely outlive me no doubt. The downside is it is heavy 18k lb triple axle. Rides smooth down the road but it is huge and honestly as we approach our upper Senior years, we are thinking we want to downsize somewhat.

Like to solicit your input for us to explore the following in a 5th wheel.

a. in the 2015 or newer

b. well built, solid, heats/cools easy

c. good in/out storage capacity

d. spacious inside and comfortable

e. bedroom must have good access both sides with night stands

f. W/D hook ups

Those are pretty much musts as we have that now with our present unit and do not want to give that up except our unit is a 06.
We also have central Vac that we like, Our dislike is the weight and also it has graphics instead of paint. I think paint is better option for longevity. We also have electric/wind sensor awning which is a nice feature. What are some of the newer well built units out there that won't break the bank? Thanks James

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Thoughts on Newer 5th wheel with these options.

Well I think the list is a good start but is incomplete. You wouldn't buy a house with a bad foundation and the chassis/suspension is of critical importance. With a 5th wheel there are other considerations including carrying capacity, generator, inverter.
Hope this helps

mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Let me guess you have a king of the road. Unless you do to an artic fox youll have to spend big bucks to equal the king of the road newer then 2015.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

You lost me at 'well built'.

I would also want all LED lighting plus solid steps.

Most of the well built 5th wheel builders are now out of business. Carriage, Newmar, NuWa, Peterson Excel.

The well built 5th wheels now are Augusta Luxe and Forest River Riverstone. I think these were built in 2015 or 2016.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I don't think there is a new fiver (2015 or newer) you could give me other than a Continental Coach, Space Craft, New Horizons or something similar. I have a 2014 Lifestyle which is an improved Carriage carry-over. If something happened to it, I'd look for a used one. They went out of business in 2016. Some of the latest '16 models will not have the box frame or rear basement. Easy to spot - no 3-sided rear basement access then its not the box frame. Lifestyle uses a stacked box frame and ram arm slide-outs. Standard insulation on 2014 and newer models have flex foil insulation in addition to the standard batt insulation. They came standard with GY G614 tires with 17.5 G114 as an option. 7k axles were standard and 8k were optional as well as disc brake option and/or IS. LED lighting was standard throughout. Solid steps were not available but easily added. Full body paint in 2 color schemes was optional. Several of the floorplans would have night stands on both sides. Forward basement as well as chin area is large on certain models. I have the full-wall slide which limits basement space compared to the others due to the fws components. Good luck and have fun shopping.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

We are very happy with our unit but it's a Summit not a Majestic so there is room to go up $$$.
My comments were really about making choices. When we bought, it became obvious that we needed to divide our option list into must have, add it later, need. No one unit will check every box.
Your Teton is an excellent unit but how much would it sell for in 2021? FWIW I'd trade age for quality in a second.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

I'm curious. What is too heavy about the trailer? Could you upgrade your truck?
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I don't think there is a new fiver (2015 or newer) you could give me other than a Continental Coach, Space Craft, New Horizons or something similar. I have a 2014 Lifestyle which is an improved Carriage carry-over. If something happened to it, I'd look for a used one. They went out of business in 2016. Some of the latest '16 models will not have the box frame or rear basement. Easy to spot - no 3-sided rear basement access then its not the box frame. Lifestyle uses a stacked box frame and ram arm slide-outs. Standard insulation on 2014 and newer models have flex foil insulation in addition to the standard batt insulation. They came standard with GY G614 tires with 17.5 G114 as an option. 7k axles were standard and 8k were optional as well as disc brake option and/or IS. LED lighting was standard throughout. Solid steps were not available but easily added. Full body paint in 2 color schemes was optional. Several of the floorplans would have night stands on both sides. Forward basement as well as chin area is large on certain models. I have the full-wall slide which limits basement space compared to the others due to the fws components. Good luck and have fun shopping.
x2 on everything jdpm said. The only 5th we would replace ours with is another Lifestyle. If we couldn't find one, then New Horizons.

Lifestyle also made shorter units, LS32 and LS34 I believe.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #9

montana, solitude are probably the two most popular ones. You have FR Cardinal, Cedar Creek.. Way too many to list lol
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #10

WE own a 2015 Redwood, Over all its a great looking and built ok for a 5th wheel built on a budget. I will say the more it weights the more important a solid frame and suspension. I and many other Redwood owners have swapped out the stock springs and drum brakes for Disk brakes and Morryde IS. Our rig is 42' and 16500lbs rated from the factory. It had 7000 lb axles that didn't last 12,000 miles or 5 years! In my opinion any rig that is over 13000lbs dry weight needs 8K axles and brakes. The MoRryde is such a big improvement it will never own a 5th at this size with out it. We have everything your asking for in or RL38 redwood. Two 15K AC units is the bare min unless you plan on temps over 92* often then 3 AC units is a must. 17.5 tires or at a min Goodyear 614 or Sailun tires in the 16" load range G tires is about the only tires that stand a chance at not blowing out.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
We are very happy with our unit but it's a Summit not a Majestic so there is room to go up $$$.
My comments were really about making choices. When we bought, it became obvious that we needed to divide our option list into must have, add it later, need. No one unit will check every box.
Your Teton is an excellent unit but how much would it sell for in 2021? FWIW I'd trade age for quality in a second.
I love my Teton and its well taken care of. My exact model last to ive seen for sale and sold for around 50-52k. They were on RV trader a while back. 3 slide models a bit less. If you can find the 45ft 4 slide model there a bit more. And of course there harder to find. Heavy yeah its heavy need MDT minimum to carry my hitch weight
Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since about 2013 there has been a huge down turn in RV quality. You may be better off getting the KOR updated and repaired.

Now you can spend mega bucks and get a New Horizon.

Ken
Old 06-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Since about 2013 there has been a huge down turn in RV quality. You may be better off getting the KOR updated and repaired.

Ken
Id Agree updating the king of the road. New floors or carpet new light fixtures. Maybe a buff and wax.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Buddy of mine has a 2018 Keystone Montana, and I have a 2007. To tell you the truth, I don't see much difference in the materials used. I know the frames have become pretty much standardized, but looking at the guts where we could they look similar so I don't know which part of the quality has dipped since then. He has not had any issues outside of routine maintenance with his 2018 Montana.

gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel