Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Tipping to and fro

I have tried several things, short of putting concrete blocks under the frame and raise the jacks to stabilize my fifth wheel when parked. The slightest movement inside will cause it to sway. I am thinking about taking two ratchet straps and run one on each side from the rear shackle hanger under the axles and to the front shackle hanger and tighten them down until tight. This looks like it would take the movement of the frame on the springs and stop the sway..Any ideas, I am tired of watching the coffee in the pot slosh back and forth.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #2

Are your jacks extended to the point that they are almost out all the way?
I used to put wood or cement blocks under the jacks on my "C" in order to minimize the jack extension. Short, minimum made all the difference in the world.
Even did the same thing with our 38' fifth wheel years ago.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

X Chocks between the tires make a big difference too
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Are your jacks extended to the point that they are almost out all the way?
I used to put wood or cement blocks under the jacks on my "C" in order to minimize the jack extension. Short, minimum made all the difference in the world.
Even did the same thing with our 38' fifth wheel years ago.
12 in square blocks 5 in thick under jacks which are barely down...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
X Chocks between the tires make a big difference too
x chocks on both sides, tightened to the point of no movement front to back, it's all side to side movement..

Old 11-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the above mentioned items help the movement issue, but the lighter weight the trailer, the more of a problem it is to stop. To totally eliminate the movement, you will need to get the RV off the suspension and put solid blocks under the frame in several places.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

I have a 28 RK 5th wheel trailer and is 31' 10" long ....weighs 11200 lbs on tandem axles.

I use adjustable chocks (both sides) between the tires that eliminates fore and aft movement. I tried plastic/wood chocks but they never stay in place.

I use BAL telescoping adjustable stabilizers https://www.amazon.com/BAL-24830-Tel.../dp/B000UZWO04at the rear that eliminates sway and up and down movement. We some times camp where the rear of the trailer may be 3' off the ground. I have various wood blocks to keep the stabilizers at a good angle for eliminating sway.

I've used a aluminum bi pod 5th wheel pin stabilizer since the mid '80s under the pin that eliminates any side sway in front of the trailer.
And of course the landing jacks hold the weight and the stabilizers have just enough weight on them to work as stabilizers ...not lifting jacks.

When camped on the ground you may have to adjust the stabilizers as they settle...especially if it rains.

Or you can use a product like the JT Strongarm stabilizers or a similar brand that work to stop sway issues.
My trailer is rock solid..I have a medical condition and the trailer can't have any swaying/movement.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

JT Strongarm Kit ---folks like them
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../LC191023.html

I use X-Clocks and a technique to set stabilizers etc
Level trailer side to side
Set wheel chocks/X-clocks
6" x 8" Blocks under front landing gear OR rear stabilizers depending on slope of site (typically front Legs)
Drop front legs and lift 5vr to unhitch...move truck
Level front to rear then drop front 1" lower
Set rear stabilizers tight
Raise front back to level

Creates a strong/solid 'base'
Still have slight bounce due to tires/suspension

To stop that....folks place jacks for/aft of axles on frame to prevent up/down movement

I find my set up works good enough
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #9

I have tried almost everything listed. I will go tomorrow and buy a set of the aluminum tripod screw jacks. I do have the stablizer under the king pin, and like Old Biscuit says, lower the nose and raise it up on the rear jacks,. I am almost to the point of buying slide jacks, but know they are not recommended and worry I might damage a slide or the rig. Right now we are on a concrete pad, I releveled the rig yesterday, since I got it wrong when we parked, thinking the pad was level. But that's not the problem...thanks for the input...i don't have the funds for the strongarm kit, that is why I was thinking the straps might work, old racer trick to strap down suspension to make cornering better so to speak..

Old 11-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
I have tried almost everything listed. I will go tomorrow and buy a set of the aluminum tripod screw jacks. I do have the stablizer under the king pin, and like Old Biscuit says, lower the nose and raise it up on the rear jacks,. I am almost to the point of buying slide jacks, but know they are not recommended and worry I might damage a slide or the rig. Right now we are on a concrete pad, I releveled the rig yesterday, since I got it wrong when we parked, thinking the pad was level. But that's not the problem...thanks for the input...i don't have the funds for the strongarm kit, that is why I was thinking the straps might work, old racer trick to strap down suspension to make cornering better so to speak..

Any ideas, I am tired of watching the coffee in the pot slosh back and forth.

Joe.....
Seems like you have tried just about everything short of blocking the frame

Jacks under frame both side for/aft of axles will stop movement as suspension can not move

Must be a LOT of movement going on to slosh coffee back/forth
Them some rough seas............
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Jt strongarms are expensive, i made my own xbraces out of some steel EMT conduit, some lengths of 1/2" readyrod and nuts and washers. put them between front landing legs top one side bottom other. same on the rear. camper super solid. cost maybe $20. adds about 5 minutes to my setup time. YMMV
Old 11-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Any ideas, I am tired of watching the coffee in the pot slosh back and forth.

Joe.....
Seems like you have tried just about everything short of blocking the frame

Jacks under frame both side for/aft of axles will stop movement as suspension can not move

Must be a LOT of movement going on to slosh coffee back/forth
Them some rough seas............

My better half dosen't move gently sometimes and it really rocks..Our 33 Class A had some but with the jacks down, nothing like this thing moves or it's all in my mind...LOL

Old 11-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
Jt strongarms are expensive, i made my own xbraces out of some steel EMT conduit, some lengths of 1/2" readyrod and nuts and washers. put them between front landing legs top one side bottom other. same on the rear. camper super solid. cost maybe $20. adds about 5 minutes to my setup time. YMMV
I actually have thought about it, but wasn't sure how to secure the ends to the jacks, etc...Might get some conduit and all thread and see if I can come up with something. It really does get annoying..

Old 11-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
My better half dosen't move gently sometimes and it really rocks..Our 33 Class A had some but with the jacks down, nothing like this thing moves or it's all in my mind...LOL
If you setup the stabilizers and leave the truck hitched as a test, does the movement and rocking almost disappear? It could simply be frame flex. Some frames appear pretty wimpy. I know mine is 10" I-Beam and is 3/16" thick. Mine will rock a bit too if I don't really pay attention and block and level it properly, but I'm used to setting up quick and moving out fast.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote