Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Tire Balancing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am changing to Goodyear G614 tires on 16 in rims for my 2010 Montana 34RL.
The dealer on has center holding wheel capability but can borrow the finger holding set. Treditt which manufacturers the wheel rim says they are meant to be center balanced only by use of finger balance method which picks up bolt holes.y Montana dealer says they do not balance their tires unless they get a reason such as large vibration.

I have had two tier places try to balance these tires and each time they get a balance at one place on the balancer and the rotate the tire about 90 degrees the next time it shows out of balance.

Is my dealer correct in that you do not need to balance fith wheel tires. and has anyone else had this experience?
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Have had 2 5th wheel trailers and neither had the wheels balanced.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

I have owned 3 fifth wheels, none had valences tires. I always valence and install metal valve stems. Cheap insurance IMO.
I just upgraded from E marathons to G614's. They are great but $$$.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

I always balance my RV wheels & tires and keep good shocks on my heavy fifth wheel. I also change out my tires at 5 to 6 years for new ones.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. IMO Balanced tires will last longer. Could use Equal or some type of internal balancing beads. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
The dealer on has center holding wheel capability but can borrow the finger holding set. Treditt which manufacturers the wheel rim says they are meant to be center balanced only by use of finger balance method which picks up bolt holes.
Trailer wheels are lug centered as a trailer axle hub has no centering pilot unlike our truck wheels. The hole in the trailer wheel is just a clearance hole.

Quote:
Montana dealer says they do not balance their tires unless they get a reason such as large vibration.
I've owned three rv trailers and 14-15 flatdeck/equipment/stock trailers/boats/cargo and wore out dozens of tires on those trailers and have never had one balanced. I only balance them if a out of balance issue pops up (tread wear pattern) which is rare however I don't use ST tires on any of those trailers.

[QUOTE]I have had two tier places try to balance these tires and each time they get a balance at one place on the balancer and the rotate the tire about 90 degrees the next time it shows out of balance[QUOTE]
This is typical of most steel trailer wheels and cheap aluminum wheels. The lug holes are seldom concentric to the rims tire bead seat flange. most Quality aluminum wheels are machined so its a better chance the bead seat flange is concentric to the lugs.
And along with that issue is the trailers hubs are not balanced.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

If you are concerned about keeping the tires balanced, whether it is necessary or not, check out www.centramatic.com these will balance the entire rotating mass and no need for lead weights on the rim. About $190/axle. Have not had my truck tires balanced since installing these--about 150k miles--and getting good wear with no vibration, which is hard to do with 19.5" tires.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

I think the primary reason trailer tires fail is inadequate air pressure, but lack of balancing may contribute to tires throwing themselves apart. I know my trailer(5er) tires were always balanced, and the 15,500# 5er seemed to ride better and pull smoother.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #9

I replaced 4 tires this summer and the dealer said they don't bother balancing them. Everett
02 Sunnybrook
sunnybrook3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
mff

yesterday - installed beads in new toyo tires- works great!
mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybrook3 View Post
I replaced 4 tires this summer and the dealer said they don't bother balancing them. Everett
02 Sunnybrook

Did you ask why? I would have it done and ignore that advice. What could it hurt, except 20-30 bucks.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

Any tyre travelling faster than a wheelbarrow should be balanced - if for no other reason than it would show up a tyre fitted off-centre - but just because you can't feel the vibration, doesn't mean it is not causing damage.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

I see to many jumping trailer tires wearing out spring parts to know that balancing tires is very important.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Try to imagine an unbalanced tire on your car or truck and how uncomfortable it is to ride in. Then do you want the items in your trailer or your trailer parts to be subject to an unbalanced condition, lights last longer.........I can name a whole list.