Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #29

go for the throat

[QUOTE=kdauto;5709436]All the trailers I've had were hub centric. My current OEM alloy wheels are hub centric.

Even if the wheels were lug centric, one can balance them fine with a cone adapter, preferably a low taper kit like I have for my machine. Using a lug centric adapter is preferred for preventing damage to expensive wheels or plastic or urethane clad wheels like some Fords have. They ARE a PITA to use and setup, so yeah, I charge more when I do them.

The truth is for the average narrow and tall trailer tire even a bubble balancer would do a pretty acceptable job. I use a precision dynamic balancer simply because I have one.

Everyone has an opinion sometimes wrong sometimes right and it`s their stuff so.......... But as I was taught and confirmed by Tredit wheel company ( the people that make or distribute most of the wheels on campers) They are lug centric wheels when balancing. The hole in the middle is for the bearing trim cover not for center alignment on the brake drum. An easy way to tell is if when mounting a wheel the hole in the middle algins with a lip on the brake drum and is a snug fit (hub centric) if you have any kind of gap no matter how small between the wheel center hole and the brake drum lip you have a lug centric wheel.
Personally, I haven`t balanced anything on a camper in 30 years and 8 campers later haven`t experienced any ill effects that I know of like weird tire wear or the usual signs of a grossly out of balance tire. but it does stand to reason that a balanced wheel/tire will last longer and your suspension will like you to. But then again you should change out your tires every 4 years anyway just from aging, not mileage. I go 5 years but i cover them, which has gotten to be a pain in the rear end.

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #30

[QUOTE=BSHGTO;5710216]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
All the trailers I've had were hub centric. My current OEM alloy wheels are hub centric.

Even if the wheels were lug centric, one can balance them fine with a cone adapter, preferably a low taper kit like I have for my machine. Using a lug centric adapter is preferred for preventing damage to expensive wheels or plastic or urethane clad wheels like some Fords have. They ARE a PITA to use and setup, so yeah, I charge more when I do them.

The truth is for the average narrow and tall trailer tire even a bubble balancer would do a pretty acceptable job. I use a precision dynamic balancer simply because I have one.

Everyone has an opinion sometimes wrong sometimes right and it`s their stuff so.......... But as I was taught and confirmed by Tredit wheel company ( the people that make or distribute most of the wheels on campers) They are lug centric wheels when balancing. The hole in the middle is for the bearing trim cover not for center alignment on the brake drum. An easy way to tell is if when mounting a wheel the hole in the middle algins with a lip on the brake drum and is a snug fit (hub centric) if you have any kind of gap no matter how small between the wheel center hole and the brake drum lip you have a lug centric wheel.
Personally, I haven`t balanced anything on a camper in 30 years and 8 campers later haven`t experienced any ill effects that I know of like weird tire wear or the usual signs of a grossly out of balance tire. but it does stand to reason that a balanced wheel/tire will last longer and your suspension will like you to. But then again you should change out your tires every 4 years anyway just from aging, not mileage. I go 5 years but i cover them, which has gotten to be a pain in the rear end.
One would have to be a total incompetent moron to not notice an improperly mounted wheel like that. Not that it will change your opinion but I've been a professional mechanic since 1985 and balancing high speed wheels since then. I've done sets that clock over 300 km/h!

I have a collet set and it covers 99% of what I need done. If one doesn't use the proper collet you'll see what was on the video. Also, I don't use a crappy Atlas tire balancer either. I've always had a Hunter, and recently bought a Snap On (John Bean). I DO have the lug centric adapters.

I charge xx$ for the mounting and the balance is only like 3$ more. I make it so ALL tires get balanced here, zero comebacks!
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #31

mUSt bE spECial

[QUOTE=kdauto;5710504][QUOTE=BSHGTO;5710216]

One would have to be a total incompetent moron to not notice an improperly mounted wheel like that. Not that it will change your opinion but I've been a professional mechanic since 1985 and balancing high speed wheels since then. I've done sets that clock over 300 km/h!

I have a collet set and it covers 99% of what I need done. If one doesn't use the proper collet you'll see what was on the video. Also, I don't use a crappy Atlas tire balancer either. I've always had a Hunter, and recently bought a Snap On (John Bean). I DO have the lug centric adapters.

I charge xx$ for the mounting and the balance is only like 3$ more. I make it so ALL tires get balanced here, zero comebacks![/QUOTE

Not trying to get any bodies underwear twisted to the point of being uncomfortable but I think you are talking about 2 different animals. I`m sure you have done a very nice job of balancing car/truck wheels over the years and are proud of it, and the public thanks you. But trailer/camper wheels are different in the sense they are not drilled by the hub center like most /trucks/cars, just a fact so even if you get it real close by the hub method you really haven`t balanced the wheel/tire. If you don`t believe me call a wheel maker of the type we use on the CAMPERS. Don`t talk to the pinhead that answers the phone all she`s worried about is getting off work and getting you off the phone because she doesn't even understand what your talking about.
Like I said I don`t balance my wheels/tires on the camper but it is a good idea if nothing else to identify a bad tire you bought that would cause you a problem down the road with the cheap suspension we all have. I suppose I have been lucky in that respect and could change my mind if something starts to fall apart because of one.
Side note: Called my 45 year business owner tire guy to discuss this. He said you can`t balance a trailer tire their just to out of round half the time
hence the low speed ratings, he sells Sailuns and thinks their best for bigger campers /trailers, fewest call backs or replacements he says. I agree I have them.
Said the only thing you can do is but Equal or other tire balancing beads in them and hope for the best. Now that`s a can of worms I don`t want to open on here.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #32

Well, last post arguing this, but I have done tons of trailer,RV and utility tires. 99% of the ones I've seen ARE hub centric and can be perfectly balanced on a quality balancer. If you don't believe me, come up to the Montreal area and if I cannot balance your tires perfectly using a collet set it's a free job and I'll give you 20$ on top of that.

How do you suppose lug holes are figured out if there's no "center"???

I have mostly used lug centric on those special wheels I mentioned earlier or the ones with HUGE center holes, like some ancient mobile home wheels or dually wheels with 6" and up center holes.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #33

mUSt bE spECial

1. not arguing, it` a discussion

2. I don`t balance my wheels

3. outer circumference of wheel will determine center, it`s an engineering thing

4. you will get 2 different balance points with a cone then with the lugs, which
one is right? The way the wheel was manufactured.

5. can`t come to Canada would have to get passport and the Liquor is cheap,
might not get home for some time

6. have a nice summer, I know I will going to Branson to see the shows.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #34

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
Here you are. I report, you decide.....

Something is wrong.
Tire not properly seated on wheel
Wheel out of round
Tire our of round

At a minimum the tire should be removed from wheel and the balance of the wheel by itself checked for both balance and out orf round (0.030 max OOR)

If wheel OK then re-mount the tire 180° from it's current orientation (mark valve location before dismount.

Just because you can balance a tire doesn't mean everything is OK.

You can balance a cement block but it will not ride right.

Significant out of balance can indicate a tire construction problem that could lead to early failure.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
Here you are. I report, you decide.....
That is a bad tire and I would not accept it. The plus wasn't put on right.
kebees42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
always balance, your wheel bearings will thank you. I've had both. Weights and beads. Love the beads, have had weights come off!!
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used Centramatics on my Airstreams for 15+ years and my Coach since I bought it new in 2017. Wear on the Airstream tires through the years as replaced was always very even. I wish they made a set for my Colorado which is my dingy.
Centramatics are not a low maintenance device; they are no maintenance. Set and forget!
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #38

Yes, balance the trailer tires. AND, get it done at a shop with a Hunter Road Force Balancer, with an operator who knows how to use the machine. Expect to see at least 2 and probably all tires mounted, inflated, put on balance machine, marked with a crayon, air released, beads broken, tire rotated per markings, reinflated, and back on balance machine, weights installed on both sides of rim.
Now the tires and rims are balanced.
jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #39

Shake and roll

In both my worlds,asan licensed automotive mechanic and a military helicopter mechanic, I hate vibrations! I've always had my my rv tires balanced!( you should see the looks I get when I request balancing on my rv tires!).
dougrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #40

Tired balance

I put centramatic balancers on my new anthem. The aluminum wheels at factory balanced. Someone put 2 5 ounce weights on one side and then 180 degrees opposite the put a 5 ounce weight. Kind of dumb. The one 5 ounce offset the two 5 ounces on the other side. This is brand new from the factory. With the centramatic you remove all the weights. Rides like a charm. So smooth.
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #41

I put Centramatics on my RV, when I simultaneously installed 6 take-offs from trucks. 4 of the Goodyear tires had rivering, and went on the drive axle. The remaining Goodyear and a Continental landed on the steer.

After around 7500 miles on them, the rivering on the rear tires is pretty much gone, they have smoothed out. The ride was equally smooth the entire time.

My last trip with my car hauler, I had several tires get flatspotted and had two of them peel the tread free from the carcass. The trailer tires were the usual Chinesium and not overloaded. Before the next trip with them, that trailer will be getting a set of Centramatics.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always had all my trailer tires balanced. While back I started using balancing beads in the 5th wheeler's tires. They run very nice and smooth. On my MH I've switch to using Centramatic balancers. With only a few thousand miles on them so far I won't say too much yet, but really like them so far.

Why not take care of your tires?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire