Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #1

Tire brand feedback

I've bought another trailer and I need to put tires on it before I dare move it. The issue is that it is an hour from home with tires too old to trust.
I've had great history with GY Endurance but the tread life is not great.
I've also used Carlisle Trail HD with no issues.
If anybody has any feedback on the STC Hi-Run JK42 ST225R15E I'd appreciate it.
TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Sailun
Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Sailun
2nd, I have been very happy with my 637's. I have a tire changer at home, so I put them on myself, it's obvious from even casual examination there is a lot more tire in that tire than the Westlake's that came stock on my Grand Design. I never had a problem with the Westlakes (G rated), but the Sailun's certainly have more rubber in them. Had them for about a year before I sold the RV, ~7.5K miles, they still looked brand new, held pressure great, balanced easily. Can't say anything negative about them other than they are a bear to mount because they are so stiff. More like putting on a 19.5 or 22.5 tire, you'll get a workout!
Overtaxed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
I've bought another trailer and I need to put tires on it before I dare move it. The issue is that it is an hour from home with tires too old to trust.
TIA
Well...they are cheap.

Folks have written good things about Sailuns, our experience with them on our Roadtrek was not so good. Both of the rears self destroyed in under 8k miles, and we ran with a TPMS.

I've not run with Endurance but have used the Carlisle Radial HT's with good results on an enclosed cargo trailer and recently on the tow dolly. For less than $100 price difference on 4 tires it would seem to me to be a no brainer to go with the Carlisles. Collateral damage from blown up cheap china bombs can be quite expensive and inconvenient.

YMMV.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:04 AM   #5

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
TIA

If your just wanting to move the trailer and set it up again for a long period of time, sort of like if maybe the tires would age out its a perfect China made tire.
They certainly are cheap ($) and fairly easy to find when one goes bad. I use them on trailers that don't get moved a lot like feed bunks or dump trailers.

I am in the Carlisle camp, run the HD's (Tennessee) on boat and CSL 16's (China) on the trailers the are expose to high mileage, maximum weight and heat. The CSL 16 is produced in ST225R15. This is true trailer tire with a ribbed tread , no lugs to roll around on letting the tire run cooler.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:22 AM   #6

When the Goodyear Marathons started to give me problems, I replaced them with G rated Sailuns. I'm not a tire expert, but I've been told Sailuns are not a belted tire and overinflation will cause shoulder wear. Seems counter intuitive but the shoulders on mine were wearing running at 100 psi. I did a chalk test and lowered the pressure to 80 and wear seems to be better but they are almost 6 years old now and due for replacement soon eventhough there is a lot of tread left. They have been trouble free and I'll go with either those or Endurance when I re-tire.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tire brand feedback

I used Carlisle on my very heavy car hauler , load range E tires , D “no names”were on it originally. After I got rid of the original junk tires was very happy with no issues 5 years and a little over 30,000 towing miles. Could it be that the reason is I upgraded load range or Carlisle brand ? I don’t know. Maybe both.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #8

A lot of people don't know about Hankook TH31 trailer tire .I think they are above Sailun.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
TIA
You probably already know but the Sailun S637 are no where near the capacity your trailer needs. Typical over kill.
Now if you have 7k axles then the ST235/80-16 G at 4080 lbs capacity works great.
Or 8k axle and the ST235/85-16 Gat 4400 lbs capacity is another great choice.

For what ever reasons some rV trailer owners will over tire their trailers to the point they have to derate the load G 110 psi down to a load E (80 psi)...or even load D (65 psi) in some cases.

One poster mentioned the Hi Run would be a good choice for pulling a trailer some where and set it up for long term like a rv trailer for hunting seasons.

Now if your trailer will see 12k-15k hiway miles a year then the 15" Carlisle HD or a 15" E that is popular on haulers websites is the Provider ST225/75-15 E. I'm a big fan of 16" Provider load E and G for my other long run non rv trailers (6k-7k axles).
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #10

After reading some on line reviews on the Hi-run tires I went with the Carlisle Trail HDs.
Thanks for the comments. They'll be here tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1908 View Post
A lot of people don't know about Hankook TH31 trailer tire .I think they are above Sailun.
I've not run them, but I've heard good things about the TH31 too. I was happy with my Sailuns, I'd buy them again, but if they weren't available or price was out of line, I'd absolutely consider the TH.
Overtaxed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #12

I’ve been using the Hankooks for about 2 years now over 15k. Had a rim blow the lip off. Was an a parking lot and didn’t have any damage to the the tire. There holding up very well.
Mdejoie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Salin 637's about 5,000 miles and no wear. I saw the post were the poster had an issue. Sailun had a recall on some tires, the number can be found buy Googleing the recall. I got 5 new after a years use, they replaced all 5 on my 5W on the recall. So far no issues I just check pressure regular.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire