Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

Tire Pressure

Had a blowout on one of my tires , they're only 3 yrs old , after checking the air pressure on the rest of them , turns out they were running about 30 psi lower than the rating even though they appeared to be fine just looking at them.
I never suspected they were low to look at them so maybe a good idea for you guys to verify air pressure before taking off for any trip. I know I will from now on , just thought I'd pass this along
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #2

Always, always check tire pressures before a trip and periodically while on a trip! We use a TPMS and recommend everyone should. Makes it much easier to monitor tire pressures.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

All of the tires 30% low on inflation pressures are most likely suffering from internal damages. The USTMA says any tire found to be operating at 20% below it's recommended cold inflation pressure should be inspected for internal damages. That condition is referred to in the industry as being in a "run flat condition".

It's very difficult to detect an under inflated radial tire just by looking at it.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

I never used to check tire pressures. We had a tire shred somewhere south of Needles CA. Not a wonderful place. Best guess it was due to under inflation, overheated and failed.

I now check pressures before every trip and if we are parked more than a few days at a camp site, check again. I carry a small 110 volt compressor and have made use of it on more than one occasion.

Cold affects tire pressures but I forget how many degrees before you are up or down a pound. Tires will heat up as you travel and the pressure will increase. On a cold day I still make sure the tires are at their rated pressures.

IMO over inflated a bit is better than under. Under means flexing which can lead to a failure.

I am still learning even after 30 years plus of towing.

GT
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
I never used to check tire pressures. We had a tire shred somewhere south of Needles CA. Not a wonderful place. Best guess it was due to under inflation, overheated and failed.

I now check pressures before every trip and if we are parked more than a few days at a camp site, check again. I carry a small 110 volt compressor and have made use of it on more than one occasion.

Cold affects tire pressures but I forget how many degrees before you are up or down a pound. Tires will heat up as you travel and the pressure will increase. On a cold day I still make sure the tires are at their rated pressures.

IMO over inflated a bit is better than under. Under means flexing which can lead to a failure.

I am still learning even after 30 years plus of towing.

GT
Trailer tires, ST, give a pressure which is what is needed to carry the weight rating. Max pressure for max weight. Overfilling has no advantage and isn't a safety factor. Under filling is disastrous for a tire and trip. I recommend the pressure shown on the sidewall, and yes a TPMS.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Tire Pressure

Question I have checked at rv park and found curb side low say 80-90 psi vs 110. I then try to find a truck stop and air tires up. Since pressure changes as tire gets warm can I simply add 20 psi to warm tire if I intend to inflate to 110 and it was at 90 psi cold even though being warm tire has since increased in pressure?

Additionally, since only the curb side looses air over a few weeks and trailer was purchased 8/1/18, where can I get leak checked out? I typically use discount tires for many years but unsure if they work on 40’ fifth wheel as they would need to jack outside.
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

Yes, calculate how much air you need cold and then add that amount to what you read at the air pump.

Spray all around the tire rim edge with soppy water, inside and out, watching for bubbles.

Also spray the valve, where it goes into the wheel and valve core ( under the valve cap ) and look for bubbles.

If that don't show you a leak, call the tire shop and see if they can check it for you.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bertrrr Did you check your spare tire for air?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #9

Spare was full thank God

Put my spare on and checked it out , was at 75 psi ( 80 psi cold rating )
I have since added a 4 ton bottle jack to my rig, the 2 ton floor jack couldn't handle the weight , will carry my portable compressor from now on .
This is my 4th rv , never had any tire issues until last trip so got a little complacent as to preparation for a Flat tire etc. Live and learn
thanks for all the input,
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Invest in a tire pressure monitor system. They can be had for a couple of hundred dollars and can save you thousands in damages from a blown tire. If you had had one you would have already saved more than enough to pay for it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #11

I never start out without checking the tire pressures. A TPMS makes that very easy. Plus a tire blowing out makes a terrible mess. The TPMS will not catch all failures (I had a catastrophic failure once, the tire did not leak down it went boom, probably hit something) but it shows you the pressures at a glance. If you can see the pressures are low and don't do something it is on you then.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Invest in a tire pressure monitor system. They can be had for a couple of hundred dollars and can save you thousands in damages from a blown tire. If you had had one you would have already saved more than enough to pay for it.
This is my TPMS gage a digital tire gauge that I use to check tire pressure weekly on my truck and car plus daily on my trailer when towing. See attached link: http://bestreviews.com/best-tire-pressure-gauges

I have never had a tire failure do to low tire pressure on any of my vehicles or trailers.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #13

You are going to be very disappointed in the 4 ton bottle jack. Don't buy less than a 12 ton. The 4 ton may lift it, but you are going to work doing it. A 12 ton cost very little more. I have never been sorry having too much jack. I farm and I have several bottle jacks.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure