Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Tire pressure monitors

I am looking at the many tire pressure monitors on the market. I would like some feedback on experiences and recommendations for a 5er.
docjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjohn View Post
I am looking at the many tire pressure monitors on the market. I would like some feedback on experiences and recommendations for a 5er.
I start with this

and back it up with this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	personalized-louisville-slugger-1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	4574  
Attached Images

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjohn View Post
We had a brand last year that just didn't work for us. 2 months ago we decided to try again and we were super impressed with the TST TPMS system. I saved us within 380 miles by letting us know a 5 year old valve stem had failed and we were losing air in that tire.
A good product at a reasonable price. Diana
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

I just purchased a TST TPMS. I haven't traveled with it yet, my evaluation will follow in a month or so. After reading the instructions twice (I'm kinda old ya-know), the monitor was very easy to program and understand the display information. I read the advertising literature from about 6 different TPMS mfgrs., narrowed the field to Hawhshead and TST. I found one person using a Hawkshead, and several using a TST. These two companies seemed to provide the most bang for my buck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I bought the TST system. I sent then some questions via their web site and got a call from Dan, President of TST the next day. He answered all my questions and then some, and I ordered from him on the phone then and there. Pulled 1 short trip since install and impressed with data.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I bought the Doran Pressure pro maybe five or six years ago for a different motor home and moved it to this one. I've not had problems wiht it and it has alerted when it should letting me know an inside dual was soft and losing air. There are others on the market and I would look at them all again if I needed a new one. The only irritant is if the pressure is set at a low elevation near sea level and you end up over night in a high elevation the alert may sound in the middle of the night - higher elevation and cold air combined do lower the pressure a bit. I turn mine off at night. A great thing about these is the ability to check the pressure at any point during your trip by pushing a button.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #7

It kinda sounds like you have the alarm points set too close. I have mine set to 15 psi above my set pressure, which in my case is 80psi. At a 2-3 psi pressure rise for each 5,000ft in elevationTire Tech Information - The Influence of Altitude Changes on Tire Pressure, I would have to be at 35,000ft before pressure reached alarm level. Since my TST displays constantly I can watch pressure and temperature levels before they reach alarm points.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #8

I got the TST system + it does work well. I DID have to get the metal valve stems as it did not work with the old rubber + metal ones on my 5er.
I set the high pressure at 15% above my 65psi max tire inflation but going from sea level + 70* to 4,000ft + 114* the pressure went up to 82psi with tire temp of 122*.
That was driving at 60 -65mph.
I need to contact TST to find out what kind of pressures are dangerous.
Probably a case of TOO much information;-) Without the monitor I wouldn't have thought of checking the tire pressure!
frankparisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #9

One thing you can check is to see what pressure your brand of tire is rated for. Knowing that should allow you to relax a bit as you watch the temperatures and PSI change as you are driving down the road. Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankparisi View Post
I got the TST system + it does work well. I DID have to get the metal valve stems as it did not work with the old rubber + metal ones on my 5er.
I set the high pressure at 15% above my 65psi max tire inflation but going from sea level + 70* to 4,000ft + 114* the pressure went up to 82psi with tire temp of 122*.
Probably a case of TOO much information;-) Without the monitor I wouldn't have thought of checking the tire pressure!
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Do post what you find out. I also have the TST system and followed their recommendation on 15% high for the alarm. On a hot day we blew right through that so not sure if my tire is overheating or if the 15% guideline is just too low.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:
Unless you are overloading your tires, seeing 30 to 60F increase in RUNNING temperature above ambient temp is not out of the ordinary. There will also be about a 2% increase in pressure for each 10F rise in ambient temperature even if not driving. Altitude increase provides an additional minor psi increase too.

However the pressure you need to be concerned with is the COLD pressure. Cold means not having been driven for 3 to 4 hours and not in direct sun. Morning is the best time to check.

VALVE stem rubber parts should be replaced when you get new tires i.e. 6 to 8 years. Too often people forget that the rubber in the valves gets old just like the rubber in the tires.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #12

Have had the TST system on my trailer for two trips now--took a little while to get the pressure alarm points set high enough to account for driving on hot surfaces for hours, and to account for cool side at 10000ft altitude after setting all night. My 120psi goes to about 136 on long drives. Temps rise accordingly, kind of neat to see that also. And differential on shady side from sunny side. Dan Covington will call back/email quickly on any questions.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Have had the TST system on my trailer for two trips now--took a little while to get the pressure alarm points set high enough to account for driving on hot surfaces for hours, and to account for cool side at 10000ft altitude after setting all night. My 120psi goes to about 136 on long drives. Temps rise accordingly, kind of neat to see that also. And differential on shady side from sunny side. Dan Covington will call back/email quickly on any questions.
Joe
How do you know if you are setting the high pressure into the range where the tire is liable to "pop"? I guess the problem is that I do not know how high the pressure can go and still be OK.
I bought a TST system recently, but have not hooked it up yet. Still haven't changed to tire valves to bolt-in metal type.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #14

Anyone try the system that uses internal sensors?? I really don't much care for the idea of adding a sensor to the valve stem. TIA
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote