Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #1

I have had so many problems with tires I can't count how many I have been through, in the neighborhood of 18 or so in 6 years. I have used different brands (Goodyear, Goodyear with the S, Carlisle, Trailer Manor or something like that)and the problem still persists. Current tires on the rig (see sig) are 10 ply, load range E, 15". I continue to have a problem with the belts seperating every 5000 miles or so. I keep tire pressure at 80lbs, the max allowed, and the trailer weighs in at 10,200lbs. What would be causing the belts to seperate and the tire to blow every 5000 miles or so? I purchase the warranty on the tires from Discount Tire so I get replacements for $15, just a pain to always know they are going to need to be replaced.

"Lake House": 2001 Sierra 30BHSS
cdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #2

I have had so many problems with tires I can't count how many I have been through, in the neighborhood of 18 or so in 6 years. I have used different brands (Goodyear, Goodyear with the S, Carlisle, Trailer Manor or something like that)and the problem still persists. Current tires on the rig (see sig) are 10 ply, load range E, 15". I continue to have a problem with the belts seperating every 5000 miles or so. I keep tire pressure at 80lbs, the max allowed, and the trailer weighs in at 10,200lbs. What would be causing the belts to seperate and the tire to blow every 5000 miles or so? I purchase the warranty on the tires from Discount Tire so I get replacements for $15, just a pain to always know they are going to need to be replaced.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Is your axle spacing adequate to fit 16" wheels and tires? If you have room for an LT235/85R-16 tire, there are two excellent (albeit somewhat expensive) problem-solvers that you could use. Both are all-steel construction radial (versus the typical fabric-and-steel) that are specifically recommended by their respective manufacturers for trailer service.

E-rated (LT235/85R-16E, 3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) - Michelin XPS Rib

G-rated (LT235/85R-16G, 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG) - Goodyear G614 RST

I've run both - the XPS Rib on our previous 5th wheel and the G614 RST on our current 5th wheel - and have had no problems whatsoever with either. These tires have solved problems for many of us who have suffered through tread separations - our first 5th wheel had $2400 in damage when one of the non-circle-S Marathons (15") came apart.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #4

I have looked at the possibility of the 16" wheels but do not have the spacing needed to put these on.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #5

This is just FYI for those of us who have had tire issues. Goodyear RST is a great tire. Get the trailer align. and find a Shop who has a Nitrogen Machine and run N2 in your tires....trailer and truck. Please, do your research before you laugh.
inacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you had your 5vr weighed on all axles and tires as loaded for travel. You may be overloading that side or wheeel and that is what is causing the problem.
As far as tires try MAXXIS. These might help
Old 04-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #7

I just read Your post I had a forest river a 1999 4 tires all junk blew at hiway speed or fell a part 3 in side of 15min.on I 75 USA in Michigan.You know now I think back and wonder if the trailer went down the road with a toe in or out stressing the tire.Built like that?Or are the tires and wheeles to light for the job.I just went to AZ&CALIF.and back 13,650Ks with the 2004 trailer no a flat.But I also stayed below 65MPH So have Your trailer alinment checked for a bent or twisted axel sure must be a some thing wrong some where for the # of tires You have had go bad.My 1999 had load range c Cariles..John
Old 04-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #8

I had the alignment checked about 2 years ago and still the same problem. Tires show no wear as if the toe were out or alignment not correct. The belts just begin to sperate. Weight is 10,200 weighed at a scale. Never weighed each side but don't load enough stuff to put more wieght on one side than the other. Even so, I load evenly. Don't have basement storage in this model, just a little across the front where the LP tanks are also located, and one on each side of the trailer.

Bushman, how do you like your Cougar? I'm looking for a new fiver right now and Cougar looks good to me so far.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #9

Bushman back at You,I found no real faults with the Cougar.We are in the marked for a big Motor Home and the Cat is for sale.I found a few little things others may not have found like when built the extra screws and saw dust and some missed sealent or over amount and a little messey workmanship.But watch the mattress they need to upgrade they use junk as most Trailers do.I bought a good one from Sears..Bushman Also the Tires are Mission "Off Shore"but so far O.K. they are 8 Ply 15" 225s.John