Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Hi Gary,
The last time I asked about tires I was told that they don't really go by plys anymore. They use load ratings. If you just want to change them for a better quality tire you probably do not need to go to 16". Check the load ratings. An example, If you are running 'E' rating move up to an 'F' rating. I personally have never had problems with Good years but there are several others that are good also and I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions. I best thing I can suggest is do what makes you comfortable and get a TPMS. It will not catch a catastrophic failure but it will get leaks.
Just losing the tire is not the biggest problem. It is the damage that it does to the rig. Before I moved up in tires the damage was $1200 on each side (lost a second tire before getting the first fixed).
Have fun and keep rving.

Brad

PS where were you staying in the RGV? We were in Edinburg.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Let's beat the tire horse...lol.

Does anyone have Goodyear Endurance 225/75R15 tires?
They are 10 ply, 2830#, 87 mph. They are in stock and about $32.50 (ea.) less than Maxxis M8008 10 ply. Both are trailer tires.

My 5th wheel came with Trailer King (China Bombs) 8 ply rated at 2540# don't know speed rating. I have just over 4000 mi on the stock tires from Sept to now. We are going to be on the road about 3 months this summer covering around 7500 miles. Not sure they are the best tires to do this trip crossing Rockies twice.

Roughly...Rio Grande Valley, TX-KC, MO-Seattle, WA-Napa, CA-KC, MO-Central Il-back to Rio Grande Valley, TX.

With all the other expenses I would like to use my 15 in. rims. Maybe next change I will look at 16 in.

Speed Rating

If your ST tires didn't have a Service Description - Numbers and Letter code like 108/L immediately after the rim diameter portion of the tire size, they were only rated for a MAX of 65.

Whoever sold you the tires didn't do their job in providing that important safety information to you at the time of sale.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
[

Brad

PS where were you staying in the RGV? We were in Edinburg.[/QUOTE]

We built a new home in Retama Village on south side of Mission. I'm not on the river...but I drive my golf cart to it.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Speed Rating

If your ST tires didn't have a Service Description - Numbers and Letter code like 108/L immediately after the rim diameter portion of the tire size, they were only rated for a MAX of 65.

[/B][/SIZE]Whoever sold you the tires didn't do their job in providing that important safety information to you at the time of sale.
The GY Endurance is ST225/75R15 117/112 N E.

Don't have the info on my current tires with me at the moment. I will get and post it tomorrow.

I didn't buy these tires...they are factory tires on my new (last fall) 5th wheel.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
[

Brad

PS where were you staying in the RGV? We were in Edinburg.
We built a new home in Retama Village on south side of Mission. I'm not on the river...but I drive my golf cart to it. [/QUOTE]

Gary we stay at Monte Cristo Golf and country club on Monte Cristo Road. We stayed at Retama for 2 years renting from Andy.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Speed Rating

Whoever sold you the tires didn't do their job in providing that important safety information to you at the time of sale.
I beg to differ with you... That 65mph max thing for ST tires is set by the US Gov... Not the manufacturer... My Maxxis tires (per manufacturer) are "rated "for 99 mph... On paper, again due to the US tire and rim association I think, all are rated at 65 mph... Thats fine as you should never tow fast !!!! I just like the added insurance... And to the OP, before our first trip with our 5vr, I replaced those china bombs....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
We built a new home in Retama Village on south side of Mission. I'm not on the river...but I drive my golf cart to it.
Gary we stay at Monte Cristo Golf and country club on Monte Cristo Road. We stayed at Retama for 2 years renting from Andy.

Brad[/QUOTE]

I Know Andy well, he lives down the street from me. He's added a lot of updates to his rental lots over the last year or so.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #22

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I beg to differ with you... That 65mph max thing for ST tires is set by the US Gov... Not the manufacturer... My Maxxis tires (per manufacturer) are "rated "for 99 mph... On paper, again due to the US tire and rim association I think, all are rated at 65 mph... Thats fine as you should never tow fast !!!! I just like the added insurance... And to the OP, before our first trip with our 5vr, I replaced those china bombs....

US Gov doesn't set speed, load or inflation numbers they only point to published industry standards. Here in the US those standards are published by Tire & Rim Association. In the ST section it is clear that St tire without a Service Description molded on the tire sidewall have a 65 mph max speed.

Tires with a Service description will have a Speed symbol for the max speed rating for a tire. FYI the speed is established with a 30 minute test then the test tire is considered scrap.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
tire has a 8pr 113/103L Load Range D on the side.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Here's what Maxxis says about their Q speed rating (99 mph) on their ST8008 tire. This paste and copy from another rv website forum...

The speed rating on for the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q", which is 99 MPH. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for all ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team..... **

Good example of when is a 99 mph speed rating not 99 mph.

Maxxis is a bit behind in their speed rating..... maybe in part as not all the ST8008 tire sizes has the nylon cap under the tread according to their website add.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #25

Just bought a set of ST205/75R14 Endurance tires yesterday after coming very close to a blowout(tread separation) with a China Bomb. Out the door Price was $532 with high pressure stems, and balance. Bought them at Discount Tire in Virginia Beach.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Just bought a set of ST205/75R14 Endurance tires yesterday after coming very close to a blowout(tread separation) with a China Bomb. Out the door Price was $532 with high pressure stems, and balance. Bought them at Discount Tire in Virginia Beach.

Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? IMO there is a high probability the tire has a belt separation. If we do not report problems to NHTSA they can not take action to have a recall or to order better quality in RV tires.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #27

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Here's what Maxxis says about their Q speed rating (99 mph) on their ST8008 tire. This paste and copy from another rv website forum...

The speed rating on for the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q", which is 99 MPH. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for all ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team..... **

Good example of when is a 99 mph speed rating not 99 mph.

Maxxis is a bit behind in their speed rating..... maybe in part as not all the ST8008 tire sizes has the nylon cap under the tread according to their website add.

Yup. Have to wonder if MAXXIS dealers provide the info on the increased pressure and decreased load capacity to the customer.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #28

bigbird65
Man, that was a close call...near miss...glad you caught it in time.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote