Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy four View Post
OK I know this has been asked a lot . Took the cover off the 5th wheel on the weekend. Checked the tires 1 is starting to crack on the sidewall.They're
Goodyear Marathons but are only 3years old according to the date code on the tire. We will be putting on 12000 miles this summer traveling to Alaska & back.
Is it advisable to just change 1 tire or replace all 4 with the same tire or go to a
LT tire? I've looked at goodyear G614's they are a little pricey but would they give us peace of mind. Loaded Trailer is 14,000 lbs with 6,000 lb axles.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Going to Alaska...you should have good tires all the way around with at least 1 good spare with the ability to change the tire yourself.

Not sure of your abilities so...things you need to change tire on double axle RV: 4-6" Block to drive good tire on to (or you can buy the ramp made for this - link below), good jack for bad tire axle, and lug wrench. Would also travel with tire plugs/repair kit and extra valve stems with the special screwdriver needed to change them - often comes as a kit as well. Also, have at least a portable 12 V air compressor/pump capable of inflating to 80 PSI. I have since installed an On Board Air system on my truck though.

Amazon.com: Camco® Trailer Aid Plus: Automotive

I have done that drive twice - once without the RV and once with the RV and had a blow out on the RV during the trip. Once you get into the Yukon, services are very limited to non-existent for hours.

Very nice drive though...watch out for the wildlife; I passed 11 bear in one day on the drive having to stop for 2 to cross the road immediately in front of my truck.

Black Bear
Click image for larger version

Name:	black bear.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	19573

Buffalo

Name:	buffalo.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	19574

Sheep

Name:	sheep.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	19575

View

Name:	view.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	19576
alaskalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #16

On tire pressures anyone. Mine call for max 80 cold. I am carring 75. Is this ok ?
On truck, only have 60 in front and 70 rear. Also 80 cold max.
ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
On tire pressures anyone. Mine call for max 80 cold. I am carring 75. Is this ok ?
On truck, only have 60 in front and 70 rear. Also 80 cold max.
ray
60 front 80 rear 80 on 5th wheel
alaskalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskalife View Post
Going to Alaska...you should have good tires all the way around with at least 1 good spare with the ability to change the tire yourself.

Not sure of your abilities so...things you need to change tire on double axle RV: 4-6" Block to drive good tire on to (or you can buy the ramp made for this - link below), good jack for bad tire axle, and lug wrench. Would also travel with tire plugs/repair kit and extra valve stems with the special screwdriver needed to change them - often comes as a kit as well. Also, have at least a portable 12 V air compressor/pump capable of inflating to 80 PSI. I have since installed an On Board Air system on my truck though.

Amazon.com: Camco® Trailer Aid Plus: Automotive

I have done that drive twice - once without the RV and once with the RV and had a blow out on the RV during the trip. Once you get into the Yukon, services are very limited to non-existent for hours.

Very nice drive though...watch out for the wildlife; I passed 11 bear in one day on the drive having to stop for 2 to cross the road immediately in front of my truck.

Black Bear
Attachment 19573

Buffalo
Attachment 19574

Sheep
Attachment 19575

View
Attachment 19576
Beautiful pictures. "Great Country."
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires