Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #15

Thank all of you for your valuable input, but, I think we got away from my question. Current tires require 65psi max cold (as stated on plaquard). I want to change tires that require 80psi max cold pressure. Will the 15psi difference cause any issues or undue stress on the wheels? Can't find max pressure on back of wheels, only max weight.
Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
Thank all of you for your valuable input, but, I think we got away from my question. Current tires require 65psi max cold (as stated on plaquard). I want to change tires that require 80psi max cold pressure. Will the 15psi difference cause any issues or undue stress on the wheels? Can't find max pressure on back of wheels, only max weight.
Never overpressure a tire or a wheel.
The tire can blow out at highway speeds and carrying loads.

A steel wheel can split around the tire bead seat flange while carrying loads.

Aluminum wheel may crack around the same bead flange or crack the valleys when carrying loads.

Back in my younger/dumber days when I thought I knew more than my truck tire dealer who warned me about under pressuring a tire or over pressuring a wheel and resulting issues , I found out the hard way he was correct. Missing a delivery date plus finding a trailer wheel and two tires in Slap Out. OK on a weekend was a money loosing deal for me. All because I didn't listen to that old very wise truck tire dealer.

Tireman9 rvtiresafety blog has answers to just about any question about tires on our trailer.
Things like the benefit of a E tire over a D tire comes only at those high pressures.

Also in his blog he mentions proper way to match tires and wheels pressure and load capacities.

And more importantly why tires on a trailer need max pressures .

Spend some time on his blog.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
So now I'm more confused than I was before I posted. I'm pretty sure that my trailer is not overloaded as I have very few things stored. Also, I pay attention to equal weight distribution. That said, am I doing the wrong thing by inflating my tires to the placard psi? In my case, placard states 65 psi max cold.

No you would not be wrong to run the "placard" inflation which most likely the same as is on the tire sidewall.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #18

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Niki, Run TT tires at the max pressure listed on the sidewall. This pressure is the minimum pressure required for the max load, as stated on the tire sidewall. Tireman, please correct if need be but this is my understanding.

Correct
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Never overpressure a tire or a wheel.
The tire can blow out at highway speeds and carrying loads.

A steel wheel can split around the tire bead seat flange while carrying loads.

Aluminum wheel may crack around the same bead flange or crack the valleys when carrying loads.

Back in my younger/dumber days when I thought I knew more than my truck tire dealer who warned me about under pressuring a tire or over pressuring a wheel and resulting issues , I found out the hard way he was correct. Missing a delivery date plus finding a trailer wheel and two tires in Slap Out. OK on a weekend was a money loosing deal for me. All because I didn't listen to that old very wise truck tire dealer.

Tireman9 rvtiresafety blog has answers to just about any question about tires on our trailer.
Things like the benefit of a E tire over a D tire comes only at those high pressures.

Also in his blog he mentions proper way to match tires and wheels pressure and load capacities.

And more importantly why tires on a trailer need max pressures .

Spend some time on his blog.

Thanks

I note there are some pictures showing Motorhomes from some on this thread. This is a Trailer thread and the information is focused on trailer application (always run max inflation) The "WHY" can be answered on my posts on "Interply Shear" List of topics on left side of my blog.

Motorhomes are different. They can run inflation based on MEASURED load +10% as they do not have the same Interply Shear problem with the exception of non steering tag axles BUT in that case the angle is much smaller and the tire loads are relatively lower

Sorry for making this seem complex but rather than giving a simple and quick answer I prefer to give the best, technically accurate answer I can.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #20

Tireman9.....I posted on a different forum about the situation I got into on last cross country trip, where as I ended up with 2 different brands and load ratings,as each store only had 2 ....Herkules, G rated, and Goodyear Marathons, D rated. You had asked about a TMS system reading........as soon as the color monitors are out, I'll be gett'n one......haven't had any problems yet, running 65 psi in all.....just installed a disc brake setup, so it'll be a good test as to heat and air build up ...Wheels are rated for 65lbs
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #21

I agree with Tireman (for what its worth,My agreeing ) and trailers are much different than most motorhomes on tires... I ran our smaller class A (6 wheeler) to the recommended PSI for the weight. (been a trucker 37+ yrs so I weigh things). Now days, with our 5vr, (yes of course weighed by axle)) I run 78-80 PSI on E rated Maxxis tires,, where D rated china bombs came standard... Yes our wheels will handle that,,, along with metal valve stems.... I feel good running highway speeds now.... Better safe than sorry...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires