Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

tires again

I have a 40 foot Jayco Designer. This past weekend I found a large bubble on one of my tires. I changed the tire and went to purchase a new one. I got a new LT 235/85R/16 which is taller than the other tires. I went to a truck tire Will this cause a problem if I run like this or should I get another tire of the same size for the same side? Or should I put both tires on the same axle? The new tire is 3/4 inch taller than the others.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob C
crocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

If the trailers tires are over 5 years old ; JMHO; replace them all .

Checked all the tires, including a rebalance, on my 5 year old 5er prior to a 12,000 mile trip, 70 % tread remaining , and ended up replacing them 3,500 miles in to the trip, when 2 separated .
Old 07-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

Skip has a good point... I just had a failure of a 235/85/16 LT tire... and replaced all (4).. I try at rest stops to pull out my temperature gauge (infrared) and test tires, rotors, hubs.. etc.. and I still missed the bad tire...
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Tires again

The tires are only two years old. My question was will it make a difference that one tire is 3/4 inch higher than the others.

Bob C
Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocke View Post
The tires are only two years old. My question was will it make a difference that one tire is 3/4 inch higher than the others.

Bob C
The only thing I see would be put a few more pounds of weight on that tire... It (as far as axles/bearings) go is Totally seperate from the others... Being its a bit bigger in diameter will mean it is supporting "a bit" more weight... Not everybody can afford a whole set of new tires every couple of years... (me included) ... I would "prefer" to run the same size, but since you have it, personally I wouldn't worry about it... Just watch your different tire pressures... MY OPINION....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

You should get the samr size tire for the other side as the low side will carry more load and also wear out faster. Never run different size tires on the same axle.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Bob C
One problem you probably will encounter with a mis match of tire diameter on one axle is braking issues on that axle.
Generally one wheel/tire on that axle can have better braking on one end which can cause flat spotting. This gets worse on wet pavement.
Different tread patterns may cause the same issues....especially on wet pavement.

I would use tires the same diameter on that axle.

Just a heads up.....A LT235/85-16 E has 3042 lb capacity and works great on 6k axles and smaller.
They won't have enough capacity for a trailer with 7k axles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #8

Running a different size tire is counter productive to the off side and dangerous. I worked at a commercial inspection station as an inspector and I can tell you that if I found this you would be going no further until it was changed out.
The remark about "not being able to afford to replace all 4" is true however is NOT an excuse to perform an unsafe act! We certainly can't all afford to buy new tires in full sets but you sure can get the correct size, you have a responsibility for the safety of you and other people on the roads you are using.
It sounds like I am being harsh I know, but safety should be as paramount in your off time as it is in your workplace!
DieselGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a 40 foot Jayco Designer. This past weekend I found a large bubble on one of my tires. I changed the tire and went to purchase a new one. I got a new LT 235/85R/16 which is taller than the other tires. I went to a truck tire Will this cause a problem if I run like this or should I get another tire of the same size for the same side? Or should I put both tires on the same axle? The new tire is 3/4 inch taller than the others.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob C
You won't be able to notice it at all.
Get matching tires as soon as you can. No short term danger.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #10

Tires on the same axle should always be the same size and design and inflated to the same psi.

Spare tires of a different size and design can always be used for emergencies, normally at reduced speeds.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #11

tires again

Okay,
I went out and ibought the right size tire so that I wouldn't be dangerous. Now does someone need a brand new LT235 85 R 16 tire? I have a new one for sale.

Thanks for all the replies

Bob C
Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Diesel God,
If safety is paramount, as it should be, why do they allow the manufacturers to put on the obviously defective and poorly built china bombs? Everyone(and I mean everyone) that has anywhere near the weight capacity of these junk tires has a blowout within the 1st 5000 miles. There is nothing unsafe about having a mismatched tire on a trailer, now on a TV, that is a different story. Don't preach about safety, when it is only on the consumer side.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Diesel God,
If safety is paramount, as it should be, why do they allow the manufacturers to put on the obviously defective and poorly built china bombs? Everyone(and I mean everyone) that has anywhere near the weight capacity of these junk tires has a blowout within the 1st 5000 miles. There is nothing unsafe about having a mismatched tire on a trailer, now on a TV, that is a different story. Don't preach about safety, when it is only on the consumer side.
Frank
A better understanding of how tire & rim assemblies are fitted to RV trailers is often an eye opener to those not familiar with the process.

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for tire & rim assemblies fitments are the minimum standard Vehicle Manufacturers MUST abide when building your trailers. FMVSS 571.110 is for vehicles under 10,000# GVWR and FMVSS 571.120 is for vehicles above 10,000# GVWR. Within those documents are references to other regulations that also apply. Vehicle certification plays a key roll in the promissory aspect of a vehicle’s safety features.

What it all boils down to is a governing body providing minimal standards, then the manufacturers stipulate on the certification label that the minimal values have been provided and are appropriate for that vehicle.

Here are the two references. If you’re not familiar with government documents like these please don’t misinterpret meanings by reading or using the information out of context.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-110.xml

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-120.xml
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Diesel God,
Frank
There is definitely a percentage of people who have issues with tires made in China. Some plants there do apparently have a hard time keeping the quality consistent. To say that everyone has problems is not correct because they don't. Goodyear had problems initially but they have been resolved they say. Airstream uses them exclusively and reports no excessive issues.
There are plenty of products produced in China and while I prefer American made most of us don't want to pay the additional cost, that is why we get the junk we do. We as a country are too cheap to buy quality.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires